Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Flu Vaccine page 20

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    In this thread I've seen a few accusations of selfishness aimed at those who refuse to get vaccinated. The assumption being that the more people vaccinated the less likely the vulnerable are to get sick and die. Unless I've missed it, I have not seen any evidence posted that demonstrates this is an effectively strategy to prevent spread of the flu. This reminds me of cocooning where family members get vaccinated with the whooping cough vaccine to lower the risk of babies catching the disease. As many know, this is a potentially fatal disease in babies and young children. Recent research seems to show that it is not a very effective strategy:

He said the national Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee
    (PBAC) had determined vaccinating parents was not effective in protecting
    newborns, after two pharmaceutical manufacturers made submissions to the
    PBAC.

"The PBAC, which is totally independent and very expert, has
    determined that there is no clinical effectiveness of this strategy," Professor
    Brook said.
    He said this had made it clear the cocooning strategy
    should not be continued.
    States ending free parent whooping vaccine | News.com.au

I would want to see clear evidence that the strategy works before I consider taking the vaccine.
    Last edited by jo; 12-12-2012 at 08:15 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    When whooping cough came to our town when DS would be vulnerable, we had him vaccinated. We were not vaccinated, though, nor did we have a booster.

When DS had his accident last year (stitches), he got his last booster of DTaP for tetanus. He was at risk, and he was due for the booster anyway. Next one is at age 10, and we'll see how we feel then. D and T are pretty important at that age.

I also know preventative care for those diseases, in case the vaccines don't work -- they don't always work.

And, I'm having a DICKENS of a time getting my son to catch the chicken pox. I've exposed him 4 times now, and still no dice. He's too darn healthy. LOL (I am infinitely blessed and lucky and thankful for it).

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    wow. I didn't even see this thread.

My wife, a nurse, and most of her colleagues, think that the flu vaccine should only be taken by the elderly and immunocompromised. A healthy person has no need for the vaccine, and there is nothing wrong with naturally building your immune system.

I felt this way before I met her, and even when she came out of college, she thought this way as well. Most of her professors actually taught it that way.
    What is the stance where she works? Here in Alaska the hospitals made flu vaccines for staff mandatory and some people ended up quitting over it.

diene is offline Senior Member
    I used to get flu shots in college, and I got the flu at least once a year back then (but I had a very, VERY unhealthy lifestyle back then). I stopped getting flu shots after college and have not had the flu since then either.

Flu shots are unnecessary for healthy individuals. When was the last time you got the flu anyway?

JEL62 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    you could just read the thread. pretty much we all answered before. lol
    Yes I understand that and I did read the thread, but I didn't think that a continued debate with new eyes and new members would present a problem. Opinions change, and I wanted to get the current thinking. Sorry if this caused anyone distress.
    Last edited by JEL62; 12-13-2012 at 12:12 PM.

JayGee is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post

Flu shots are unnecessary for healthy individuals. When was the last time you got the flu anyway?
    Um, about 10 days ago. And then my son got it... And my daughter. Not fun.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I got a flu back in June (early winter here), but it was a reverb from some energy work plus a run-down immune system from working too hard. Not sure if it was the flu or food poisoning because I also had some sushi that day. . . I think it was the energy work though. So not the flu, really.

My kid got a bug from hot water (from springs here in NZ, they say not to put your face under the water and he fell in) which lasted about 24 hrs. He threw up a few times, and then that was that. So, not the flu.

Also, it doesn't cause distress to revisit a topic, though usually zombie threads are zombies.

JEL62 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Also, it doesn't cause distress to revisit a topic, though usually zombie threads are zombies.
    Cool... I love zombies. Walking Dead anyone?

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    What is the stance where she works? Here in Alaska the hospitals made flu vaccines for staff mandatory and some people ended up quitting over it.
    same here, she has to get one. After she gets it, she gets sick, EVERY TIME, for the last 6 years she has been there.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Guess I just think it's BS~ I can't remember the last time I had the flu. I see no reason to get the vaccine so I don't spread it to others~ how can I spread it if I don't get it?

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920