Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Flu Vaccine page 19

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    flu vaccine end of the year brawl of 0'12 extravaganza part 2!
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Would you care to explain why? Because I don't see it.

The flu vaccine is woo for weaklings.
    The evidence is pretty solid that the flu vaccine is beneficial for the elderly and the immunocompromised. It probably isn't of any benefit (and may possibly be ever so slightly slightly harmful) to you, but unless you live in isolation, you getting it will benefit those "weaklings" around you. It doesn't make sense if you approach it from a purely selfish point of view (and there's nothing wrong with that), but from a epidemiological perspective the flu shot has a purpose.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    but to protect the young children, elderly, and others with weakened immune systems around you.
    Then why not vaccinate THEM with the snake oil and pretend they're safe? If it's so effective, then vaccinate the weak. Not the strong.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyorange View Post
    The evidence is pretty solid that the flu vaccine is beneficial for the elderly and the immunocompromised. It probably isn't of any benefit (and may possibly be ever so slightly slightly harmful) to you, but unless you live in isolation, you getting it will benefit those "weaklings" around you. It doesn't make sense if you approach it from a purely selfish point of view (and there's nothing wrong with that), but from a epidemiological perspective the flu shot has a purpose.
    Care to post a link offering any evidence to support your views?

The consensus here is that the vaccine is woo.

And you clearly failed to appreciate (how clearly did I have to spell it out to you) that from an epidemiological perspective the flu shot is worse than useless.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 12-11-2012 at 04:08 PM.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    It can't have a purpose if it doesn't DO anything.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

It seems pathetic to me that the immunocompromised make any claim that those who have strong immune systems are selfish.

The current system favours the immunocompromised.

Oh and big pharma loves that.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyorange View Post
    You guys make some valid points but understand that the point of vaccination is not to protect you, but to protect the young children, elderly, and others with weakened immune systems around you. You can become "infected" with the flu virus to a subclinical extent (due to your strong immune system), in which you would be asymptomatic, but still have the ability to pass the virus on to others, and keep the viral load of a "population" higher than it would be if 100% of people got the vaccine.
    Here's how I see that. Each person is responsible for themselves. I choose to no longer be vaccinated against the flu because it made me sick every time I did. No one has the right to force me to get sick every year in an unproven attempt to ensure no one else will get sick from me. Other people have the option of getting vaccinated. If they fear getting the flu from an unvaccinated individual like myself, and they believe vaccinations work, then nothing is stopping them from being vaccinated themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Here's how I see that. Each person is responsible for themselves. I choose to no longer be vaccinated against the flu because it made me sick every time I did. No one has the right to force me to get sick every year in an unproven attempt to ensure no one else will get sick from me. Other people have the option of getting vaccinated. If they fear getting the flu from an unvaccinated individual like myself, and they believe vaccinations work, then nothing is stopping them from being vaccinated themselves.
    Exactly. If the vaccine had proven effectiveness, those dependent on it wouldn't feel any compulsion to persuade anyone else to take it.

I count my blessings that I caught mumps and german measles as a child as that gave my immune system the opportunity to develop natural immunity to viruses. Neither infection was traumatic in any way.

My Mum had no problems with allowing me play with my sister and best friend as a child while they had chicken pox and I didn't catch that. I had natural immunity

One of my grandfathers caught Spanish flu in 1917 as a baby and was issued the last rites. He is still alive.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    wow. I didn't even see this thread.

My wife, a nurse, and most of her colleagues, think that the flu vaccine should only be taken by the elderly and immunocompromised. A healthy person has no need for the vaccine, and there is nothing wrong with naturally building your immune system.

I felt this way before I met her, and even when she came out of college, she thought this way as well. Most of her professors actually taught it that way.

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    We are a vax-free family.
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast