They aren't, however, they are friendly and funny
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    this didn't seem very nice to me
    That was a statement of my opinion which has not changed. It was not directed toward any one individual. Since when are people not allowed to express opinions that do not agree with the mainstream around here? I thought we were all about freedom from the imposition of orthodox ways of thinking. So then we go and create a new orthodoxy and anyone who dares question it gets shouted down as a heretic.

The same thing happened to me when I had the temerity to question "the fact" that everyone is vitamin D deficient and needs supplementation.

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I know I will get shouted down but one vote here for social as well as personal and family responsibility. Get vaccinated.
    That was a statement of my opinion which has not changed. It was not directed toward any one individual. Since when are people not allowed to express opinions that do not agree with the mainstream around here? I thought we were all about freedom from the imposition of orthodox ways of thinking. So then we go and create a new orthodoxy and anyone who dares question it gets shouted down as a heretic.

State your opinion all you want. Just don't say that people who don't agree with your views on the flu vaccine are socially irresponsible and bad parents. That's why you're getting the blowback that you got in this thread. I just got done reading another flu vaccine thread on this board and there is a civil discussion going on in that thread. Probably because someone didn't open up saying either get the flu vaccine or you're a horrible person.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardwarehank View Post
    State your opinion all you want. Just don't say that people who don't agree with your views on the flu vaccine are socially irresponsible and bad parents. That's why you're getting the blowback that you got in this thread. I just got done reading another flu vaccine thread on this board and there is a civil discussion going on in that thread. Probably because someone didn't open up saying either get the flu vaccine or you're a horrible person.
    Oh boy! You mean there's another flu vaccine related thread on this board? Wow, I should go participate in that one too. Something constructive might come out of it.
    /<sarcasm>

I stated my opinion that getting a vaccine is socially responsible. All the "if you don't you're a horrible person" stuff is in your head, it's not what I said. I think people who choose not to get a vax because they really believe the risks outweigh the benefits are misinformed, not horrible people (as I have repeatedly said). I have the right to that opinion. And to state it.

When people take the attitude of callousness of saying "the old and the weak die, so what?", that is cold and heartless. If it were your 86 year old Dad in danger, you would care, hopefully. I care for my Dad and that other old guy I don't know because he is someone's Dad.

If caring about my fellow human beings makes me an MDA pariah, so be it.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 12-27-2011 at 11:10 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie View Post
    I'm not going to get vaccinated because someone weaker may catch a virus. The weak succumb. It's the way of the world.
    This is heartless. Is this who we want to be as a community?

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Oh boy! You mean there's another flu vaccine related thread on this board?
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread38960.html

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Have to be honest here~ for someone to think I have a 'social responsibility' to inject my body with ANY substance for the protection of others ~especially when it will have no benefits for me~ is really stepping over the line. If someone needs protection, then maybe they should be proactive and get their own shot. And that is MY opinion.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    Have to be honest here~ for someone to think I have a 'social responsibility' to inject my body with ANY substance for the protection of others ~especially when it will have no benefits for me~ is really stepping over the line. If someone needs protection, then maybe they should be proactive and get their own shot. And that is MY opinion.
    +1

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    My father has had his shot. He still is at greater risk due to his age. The vax is not 100% effective (I never said it was). Therefore the less infected people my Dad comes into contact with, the safer he is.

I would have the shot for your Dad, baby niece, cousin who has asthma, friend who is on chemo, etc. and I have never met any of those people. I think it is the right thing to do because we are a community, a tribe if you will. We should look out for each other.
    But then, I don't believe the vaccine is harmful. If you do, fine, I have no quarrel with that. You have the right to that opinion.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    My father has had his shot. He still is at greater risk due to his age. The vax is not 100% effective (I never said it was). Therefore the less infected people my Dad comes into contact with, the safer he is.

I would have the shot for your Dad, baby niece, cousin who has asthma, friend who is on chemo, etc. and I have never met any of those people. I think it is the right thing to do because we are a community, a tribe if you will. We should look out for each other.
    But then, I don't believe the vaccine is harmful. If you do, fine, I have no quarrel with that. You have the right to that opinion.
    If your father is that frail, putting your faith in a flu shot, his or anyone else's, is foolish. Get him physical protection~ surgical masks, cotton gloves, whatever~ but please don't try to tell me it's someone else's job to keep him safe~ this is America~ land of freedom and personal responsibility.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast