Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shifting Diets - P90x page

driftwood is offline Senior Member

Shifting Diets - P90x

Primal Fuel
    ummm yeah ok, so I used to be a P90x fanatic etc of which I was on 40 carbs 40protein and 20fat. I know bad right... HA.

After recovering from an injury for 2 years I am getting back into it.
    Right now I am targeting 1200 calories per day since I am very sedentary and then adjust according to workouts.. adding 600cals if I work out.
    I target 90 carbs a day (mostly from fruits and veggies.) And right now it's only 27g for Fat. That I am thinking is insanely low right?

So I suppose I am supposed to get 60% from fat calories? I've read the articles/book as well and still have a hard time accepting that eating more fat will make me loose weight.. So based on 1200-1500 cals a day how much fat grams should I be taking?

And most of the fat grams should come from good fat like oilive oil, nuts/seeds/fat on meat etc...

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I don't think you should go overboard with the macronutrient breakdowns. I think the way to look at it is eat as many veggies as you can fit in your body with each meal, along with a decent serving of meat. Drizzles olive oil or whatever over the veggies, and maybe eat some avocado or something when you want it. Nuts and seeds from time to time. If you do that, you will get the results you're looking for.

Are you very small, to be going for 1200 calories per day? Or very thin? At 1500 calories, you're looking for 900 fat calories per day, which comes out to 100g. That's just my quick mental math from the numbers you dropped. Again, though, I think the macronutrient breakdown thing is overplayed.

ok.. I am still trying to get used to the whole fat thing. The macronutrient gave me a point on the map everday...

I weigh 167ish. I have lost I think maybe 5 pounds in the last 3 weeks on about 1200. I know it's alittle but I feel fine on it, and some days I can barely eat to 1000. My main issue right now is my gut. it's toning down pretty good. I could barely fit in a 33 size now it sags.. Hardcore right.....

I still have trouble with the whole fat thing, prolly like most noobs!

activia is offline Senior Member
    If you eat primal foods then you're fat intake will probably be in the 50-60% range without even trying, unless you are living off chicken breast. Eat meat, whole eggs, use animal fat to cook, use olive oil to flavor your salads... No need to add additional fat like nuts IMHO unless its the only thing available.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    I found Pelo and then Primal from doing P90x. I used to hang out over at beach body and I hated the "food" part of P90x. All the math and such. Somebody on the forum over there said to ditch the nutrient part and go Paleo, (they said just google paleo). In the last four months, I have lost far more weight than I ever did on P90x, without counting a damn thing and working my ass off. That being said, I plan on doing P90x again when I am within 25 lbs of my goal, it's a personal thing.... Eat the fat and enjoy life.

Satch12879 is offline Member
    Also, ditch the heavy aerobics days, too.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure if you're leaning more towards Paleo or Primal (I'm assuming Primal). I know with paleo, which is considered 'low-fat', they recommend on average 60 grams of fat per day (with about 15 being saturated). So it would seem that even by Paleo standards, your fat intake is pretty low. The real question is how do you feel eating the way you currently are? You mentioned that you can barely eat 1,000 calories, so I'm assuming you're pretty satieted. If that's true, and you're seeing results you want (toning down) while being sedentary, why are you worried about changing things up? Personally, I'd change things when what I'm doing isn't working anymore (feeling too hungry, not losing weight, etc...) It doesn't seem like you have anything to worry about right now.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!!

activia - Sounds good. Still have to mentally accept that part!!

TorMag - I got pretty awesome results from P90x but eventually injured myself from "Bringing it." After six months it was super easy to do!! But your body just takes a beating so I am not sure if I will keep doing it. I think I might switch to Gymnastic Strength training which in a way can be very similar to traditional strength training if done right. Plus it's simpler, in other words, rather than doing 12 different movements for working upper body, you do one that works the whole upper body, I like that!!!!

Satch12879 - AGREEEEEEEEED bahahaha.

BestBetter - i'm not sure of the difference at the moment what the difference between the two is. I know cutting carbs means the energy has to come from somewhere right? that would mean fat! I do get pretty lethargic, but I also have a slightly low thyroid.. I do feel satiated cause I eat veggies steamed.. and that feels me up and gives me energy. I suppose I am accustomed to starving. I could eat one meal a day and be fine!
    I am starting to up my workouts, strength training wise, the sedentary calories are my when I am not working out. But that is changing too. And I am kinda worried cause I have lost some good weigh past three weeks, so the whole adding fat myth scares me a tad.

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    I think you'll start burning up muscle with only 90g carbs and P90X, insanity, etc.. You may be able to squeak an hour a week out at the heart rate those put you at.

huh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast