Thread: Reducing BF% page

Run_Climb_Live is offline Junior Member

Reducing BF%

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys & gals!
    quick question- I'm a distance runner/rock climber + cross training for both.

I'm 5' 5'', 138lbs, probably around 21% BF. I would really love to be around 16-17% (personal preference and performance wise). I'm of the mindset that I need to count calories to really lose the weight/body fat.

Is this really necessary if one is following primal guidelines? I've looked up some of the article on here, but didn't get a clear response ( I know responses on here are all of personal opinion)- What is your opinion on this?

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    I believe to drop under a "normal" level of BF or lean out, you need to incorporate some type of method. This could be carb cycling, IFing or basic calorie deficit. It might take 1 or 2 of these techniques depending on the person. Being primal helps being generally low carb so you're burning fat. But to burn off the last couple of percentages (that the body wants to hold on to) you have to play around with these types of methods.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Run_Climb_Live View Post
    Hey guys & gals!

I'm 5' 5'', 138lbs, probably around 21% BF. I would really love to be around 16-17% (personal preference and performance wise). I'm of the mindset that I need to count calories to really lose the weight/body fat.

Is this really necessary if one is following primal guidelines? I've looked up some of the article on here, but didn't get a clear response ( I know responses on here are all of personal opinion)- What is your opinion on this?
    Meet Staci: Your New Powerlifting Super Hero | Nerd Fitness

thanks!
    [love the nerd fitness by the way!]

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Hey guys & gals!

Been thinking about the same thing...hadn't weighed myself in like a year and hadn't tested my body fat since high school, but yesterday at work I did both. I'm 5'6, used to weigh around 125 and body fat was like 17-20%. Since I started climbing (and probably somewhat since being more strictly PB), I feel much better and leaner. Anyways, now it says I weigh 135 (which seems like so much for me lol) but yet body fat is closer to 14%. I don't think most scales/body fat testing thingies are completely accurate, but it's still encouraging. Plus now I wear a size either 3 or 5, whereas in high school I wore 7.

Anyways, what's your typical diet like? And exercise routine?

Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    Been thinking about the same thing...hadn't weighed myself in like a year and hadn't tested my body fat since high school, but yesterday at work I did both. I'm 5'6, used to weigh around 125 and body fat was like 17-20%. Since I started climbing (and probably somewhat since being more strictly PB), I feel much better and leaner. Anyways, now it says I weigh 135 (which seems like so much for me lol) but yet body fat is closer to 14%. I don't think most scales/body fat testing thingies are completely accurate, but it's still encouraging. Plus now I wear a size either 3 or 5, whereas in high school I wore 7.

Anyways, what's your typical diet like? And exercise routine?
    Well, I won't lie, I'm still transitioning into fully paleo. I run a good bit- 25-30mi/wk. My longest run is 10-11mi. I haven't been climbing as much this past month, but usually it's 2x/wk for 2-3 hrs (bouldering/rope). I try to hit the gym and XT lower/upper body 2x week (sometimes I split upper and lower body).

I know a lot has to do with my diet. I try to stick with 1400-1500k/cal, 50+g protein. The past month has been harder (darn holidays!) so I can't outline a "usual" daily diet. But that's what my fitness week looks like.

FitMountain is offline Member
    I use IF as a way to generally cut cals. Not really scientific, but it's easier to stay full without over-doing it when you're only eating 2-3 big meals a day.
    http://facebook.com/fitmountain

Know your limits. Then shatter them.

pyrosis is offline Member
    Hey there,

I run and climb also and am trying to cut weight (I'm 195) to make it a bit easier to haul myself up the crags and boulders.

I am following Leangains, which is IF with carb cycling and weight training. It is surprisingly easy to comply with. I have been doing this for only six days and the results are already unmistakably evident. Will it make you a better climber or runner? So far, I have no idea. Time will tell. But consensus is that it works for reducing body fat %, which should help with climbing. And, weight training of the legs should be good cross training for running. So I am hopeful it will be helpful in both body composition and overall athletic performance.

Leangains

And check out this site for a slightly more straightforward explanation of the same program.

RippedBody.jp | Intermittent Fasting guide & Training guide to your dream body.

Good luck!

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    You run 25-30 miles a week and only eat 1400-1500 calories a day?

damnit is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey guys & gals!

Counting calories isn't strictly necessary primal wise.

However personally, especially with the aim of losing fat and being a relative newbie to primal I would say it helps. The most important reason for me is that if you are new to primal or low carb in general and want to make sure your carbs intake is at the proper level, then you need to keep track of your food anyway. If you are using an online calculator which is the easiest way to do it then it's no extra effort to count your total calories in addition to keeping track of carb intake.

Keeping track of protein intake is also not onerous on top of recording carbs and calories. And in my unprofessional opinion I would say you should aim higher than 50g of protein per day, especially if you are lifting heavy things.