Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Effect of my functional alcoholism on my health? page

Sibylla is offline Junior Member

Effect of my functional alcoholism on my health?

Primal Fuel
    So, I'm a 21 year old woman, eating primal except for a cookie or something maybe three times a month, and the fact that I drink diet soda. I also have anywhere from 3-6 drinks a day, occasionally more, always liquor (vodka or gin) mixed with diet soda (5'6'', 135 lbs). Start at 5 or 6, end at 9 or 10pm, all at home. I drink a lot of water, don't really get hangovers, and it takes a lot to make me even get fuzzy memories, and I don't black out. I haven't gained any weight from it.

The point of this is: what is this going to do to my health, long-term. Seriously, I know that the better idea would be to not drink 6 shots worth of vodka a night, but I really just want to be fully aware of what I'm doing to my body. Thanks, friends!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i can't be the first person to tell you this, and this is certainly info that you could find all over the web, not just on a primal forum, but alcohol is a poison. it's horrible for your liver. 6 drinks a night is some serious liver stress. be careful!

dado Guest
    Well, you can most likely live a long life with this alcohol use, but if you want to squat 300 lbs, it will cause you some troubles.

I've cut down my on use because of squats, and I feel better for it.

You just have to strike a balance between this booze and your strength goals.

Guod is offline Senior Member
    1. However long you were given on this earth will be shorten by your drinking.
    2. Alcoholics’ statistically die prematurely much more than others. ex. liver damage, suicide, car crashes, murder, cancer or other illnesses, ect.
    3. Alcoholism is a progressive disease, it gets worse over time.
    And the meek shall inherit the earth.
    What good is a used up world, and how could it be worth having?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Umm, - it'll be "bad" for your long term health, most likely. It'll also be bad for your short-term healthy, but you won't realize that until you tone it way down and feel the difference. Why not go for 0-3 instead of 3-6? Major difference there.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Guod View Post
    1. However long you were given on this earth will be shorten by your drinking.
    2. Alcoholics’ statistically die prematurely much more than others. ex. liver damage, suicide, car crashes, murder, cancer or other illnesses, ect.
    3. Alcoholism is a progressive disease, it gets worse over time.
    It's not a disease. She just likes to get drunk.

Don't listen to these PETA, AA parakeets.

It all depends on your goals. Do you want to squat 500 pounds? Cut the drinking back. Do you not care about being exceptional in anything in life? Keep drinking.

dado Guest
    Cancer is a disease. Drinking a lot of booze is a choice. And if some person is comfortable with the consequences of this intake, and if they are not falling out of society because of it, this choice is the same as playing video games or lifting weights. Drinking booze is appealing because it has such a low upfront cost for the pleasure it provides. Getting on a program and maintaining some regimented diet and training schedule is a high up front cost with a high pleasure reward, but this reward is pushed back in time; it will take you years of weight training before you walk into a room and people immediately see you as the strong guy.

The problem with excess booze intake is when a given person does not have the requisite philosophical underpinning to function, to get by, to get along with people, despite his or her drinking.

It is entirely possible to learn how to handle alcohol. A man that is a sloppy drunk, a man that doesn't know his limits, can absolutely become a person that has one or two beers and laughs with the crowd.

It's up to you, OP, it depends on where you want your life to go. There are many old drunks with decades of booze under their belts, but what quality is their life in old age?

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    It's not a disease. She just likes to get drunk.

Don't listen to these PETA, AA parakeets.

It all depends on your goals. Do you want to squat 500 pounds? Cut the drinking back. Do you not care about being exceptional in anything in life? Keep drinking.
    Agreed... People toss around the term "alcoholic" like it is going out of style. If you are not an actual alcoholic [read physicaly dependent on alcohol and have withdrawl when you dont consume] then please seek some help the withdrawl can be deadly.

That said.. if you are just someone who is a habitual drinker dont let it get out of hand and dont spend your life wasted and screw what anyone else says. There are plenty of people who drink every day.

I would also say cut back on the diet soda if you can... I say do vodka/gin with seltzer and a good splash of lime juice (the real stuff not the "bartender" lime juice)

Just remember and be honest with yourself here... as long as you are not drinking for the wrong reasons or habitualy hammerd your golden

dado Guest
    I just preempted the abolitionists for you, so we can get back to discussing the actual facts behind a 6 beer a night habit, what happens to your body, physiologically, from this boozing?

This article from leangains might start you in some strong direction:

The truth about alcohol, fat loss and muscle growth | Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockin Grok View Post
    Agreed... People toss around the term "alcoholic" like it is going out of style. If you are not an actual alcoholic [read physicaly dependent on alcohol and have withdrawl when you dont consume] then please seek some help the withdrawl can be deadly.

That said.. if you are just someone who is a habitual drinker dont let it get out of hand and dont spend your life wasted and screw what anyone else says. There are plenty of people who drink every day.

I would also say cut back on the diet soda if you can... I say do vodka/gin with seltzer and a good splash of lime juice (the real stuff not the "bartender" lime juice)

Just remember and be honest with yourself here... as long as you are not drinking for the wrong reasons or habitualy hammerd your golden
    So true, so true.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast