Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to eat before a morning workout at the gym ?? page

SusanMcL is offline Member

What to eat before a morning workout at the gym ??

Shop Now
    I'm new at all this, but feeling good after 3 days on the plan.

I do moderate cardio (treadmill and/or elliptical) at the gym 3 morning a week and meet a friend there at 8:30 a.m.

I get up between 6:30 and 7:00.

Pre-primal, I would have a small bowl of oatmeal with a little 2% milk and a banana. That gave me enough energy to do an hour of moderately paced walking on the treadmill... and sat in my stomach nicely with no problems.

Now I don't know what to eat before going to the gym. I can't imagine exercising on a stomach full of bacon and eggs and veggies.

Thoughts? Advice?

I'm 66 years young if that makes any difference.

ETA: I do weight workouts to Cathe Friedrich DVDs at home 3 times a week.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Workout on an empty stomach if you can. Have a cup of coffee or a piece of fruit if you really need it, but you'd be amazed at what your body can do when it isn't weighed down with food!
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

trob1234 is offline Member
    if it were me I would do a big cup of coffee with either coconut milk or heavy cream and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. If you are not a coffee drinker think about doing a green smoothie with coconut milk, berries and some greens.

CE402 is online now Senior Member
    My routine: coffee, BCAA'S, and a banana.

I generally wake around 7-8 and am in the gym from 9-1030 doing heavy barbell training. For the longest time I was training completely fasted, on just a large cup of coffee. But I found I was having great difficulty finishing my workouts and recovering for the next session once i started measuring weights as multiples of my bodyweight.

If I'm just doing sprints or bodyweight training I stay completely fasted. Moderate walking you should be fine on an empty stomach; your body is perfectly adapted to walk 3 miles after not eating for 14 hours.

SusanMcL is offline Member
    Thanks everyone !! CE402 - what are BCAAs ???

This morning, I did 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, 7 whole plain almonds and my usual large mug of coffee with real half n half.

I did 1 1/4 hours of moderately paced walking on the treadmill.

At 11:00 a.m. I had 2 scrambled eggs, 6 slices of bacon, 2 baby red potatoes boiled and then slathered with butter and some decaf coffee with half n half.

That worked well.... but I'll try gradually reducing the pre-workout food a little and see how that feels.....

Why do you recommend working out on an empty stomach? I'm trying to learn......

TIA

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I am not the biggest fan of working out on a totally empty stomach. I find that if I have a piece of fruit or two before working out, I have a lot more energy during and after the workout. I wouldn't eat any fat prior, however. Save that for later. Try having a ripe banana!

CE402 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanMcL View Post
    Thanks everyone !! CE402 - what are BCAAs ???

This morning, I did 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, 7 whole plain almonds and my usual large mug of coffee with real half n half.

I did 1 1/4 hours of moderately paced walking on the treadmill.

At 11:00 a.m. I had 2 scrambled eggs, 6 slices of bacon, 2 baby red potatoes boiled and then slathered with butter and some decaf coffee with half n half.

That worked well.... but I'll try gradually reducing the pre-workout food a little and see how that feels.....

Why do you recommend working out on an empty stomach? I'm trying to learn......

TIA
    Branched-Chain Amino Acids. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend them for what you're doing; their benefit comes into play during vigorous training, especially in a fasted state. They reduce muscle catabolization and fatigue and promotes recovery.

Steve T is offline Junior Member
    If I'm going to the gym early after awakening, I find that a sliced banana with a couple of strawberries mixed with greek yogurt will give me the quick energy I need, along with a mug of coffee blended with baking cocoa and cinnamon. If I'm going two or three hours later, then a regular breakfast of bacon, eggs, and coffee will provide lots of energy without any ill effects.

elliottsmith is offline Senior Member
    I usually don't eat anything apart from some BCAA's.

GREGORY is offline Junior Member
    Then i take some kind of juice.
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast