Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Epidural: Yay or Nay? page 2

JamieBelle is offline Member

I had an epidural. It wasn't a terrible experience but it did take the guy like 5 attempts before he got it in the right place. That sort of freaked me out.

The problem with is was that when it wore off, I gradually felt worse instead of gradually feeling better. When it wore off I went from totally numb to feeling like I'd been hit by a bus.

I had been in labor for 8 hours when I got it and my son was born 5 hours later. I could have toughed it out.

I'm not having any more kids, but if I did, I'd do it naturally.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

I guess I will be the odd woman out and say that I wish I had the epidural. The pain is still fresh in mind after 20 years and it's a big reason why I only had one child (besides the fact that I'm not fond of kids in general). I thought I was going to die during the labor. I apologize if my different opinion offends any of you but I had to say something since my view seems to be so different. Labor is not to be sugar-coated. It's the hardest thing I have ever done. If, God forbid, I ever get pregnant again, I will take the epidural. Perhaps I'm just a wuss :-p

*peace*

maba is offline Senior Member

Thank you lil_EM! I'm intrigued by the idea of homebirthing and using the services of a midwife. DH made sure he found an OB at one of the leading women's hospitals in the country which happens to be in our city. Being a physician himself, he may not easily accept the idea of seeking a midwife's service. But I'm going to explore that option. Any links from the mothering forum that can help me in that direction?

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

First, I'm GLAD I'm not a woman.

Second, what's a "DH?" I'm pretty sure it means your husband but I don't understand why you all seem to refer to them as such.

I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

JamieBelle: Thanks for your comment. I've always wanted to do it naturally and still do but I was just surprised when this colleague of DH's suggested it. He said people are in general scared of epidurals but to just take his word and take it! I was shocked by the confidence in his advice especially when I've heard of the side-effest from 2 of my friends.

DCKMB: That's the reason I come here to the MDA forum. Because people are not afraid to give their informed opinions. Thank you for sharing your experience with me.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

DH= darling husband i think

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Jokaman: H in DH stands for husband as you guessed rightly. D can stand for dear/ darling/ darned/ dumb/ dastardly/ dreadful etc.

DebFM is offline Senior Member

@ DCKMB, I had a friend who had an extremely hard labor with her first child so I can empathize. Plus, that back labor I had with my first was no picnic. Made have the next one, right side up, seem much easier by comparison. But you're right, I think having a baby is the hardest thing a woman can ever do and it's a very different experience for each of us. So, no you're not a wuss!

GotPrimal Guest

I see epidurals everyday.

I see people who regret not getting epidurals everyday

Complication risks of epidurals are less than 1%.

And once you say NO to them, thats the point of no return. Mid-labor, its too late to get one placed.

Think hard. And read up on the science behind epidurals, where the drug interacts, and where it DOESN"T interact.

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Jokaman70, DH is short for "dear husband." At times, the D might stand for something else. ;-)

I agree with others who've said preparation is a major part of avoiding meds.

Investigate the availability of a tub to labor in. Many hospitals now offer jacuzzi tubs that patients can labor in. Seriously, that could be worth switching caregivers and hospitals for. I so wish I'd used a tub with my first. My second labor was so much less intense, as long as I stayed in the water.

Being at home worked well for me too. With my first, there was a point at which I might have asked for meds if I'd been in the hospital, but there was no way I was going to get in a car in order to get them. Ha!

Another childbirth prep suggestion to throw out there: Birthing From Within. Often the course itself will have another name, but the instructor will specify affiliation with BFW. There's a book by the same name, which is fabulous. One thing I really appreciated about BFW that I think is missing in some of the other childbirth prep methods is an emphasis on how to handle and process your feelings when things don't go as planned.

Hypnobabies is another great program. I wish I'd used it, in conjunction with BFW, with my first. Hypnobabies urges you not to use other methods, but I think BFW has a lot to offer dads, while Hypnobabies doesn't....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast