Thread: Ann Arbor, MI page

Namasteak is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

It looks like my fiance & I will be moving to Ann Arbor in May so that he can start grad school at UM in the fall. Any other primal folks in that area? We'll be making a trip out in March to apartment search and get to know the area a bit before moving. Any tips would be appreciated!

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

You'll love it! We used to live there, and miss it so very much. Lots of good food and good yoga there.

Rif
    Rif is offline Junior Member

Ann Arbor has a couple Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, which helps with the primal food choices. Ann Arbor is a very walkable city and a lot of people also bike there (not so much in the winter). Superb healthcare system (University of MI system). There are also a couple of great outdoor stores. Michigan as a whole is excellent for outdoor activities if you're into that. You're never far from a beach, camping, hiking, great parks, etc. If you like to distance cycle, there are great opportunities like the DALMAC.

Ann Arbor is a really great city, comparable to Madison, WI. I live in Lansing and always look forward to my trips to Ann Arbor.

62shelby Guest

The great Zingermans food empire has the Roadhouse, Deli, Bakehouse and Creamery, they make their own cheese etc from their own farm. The Zingermans Deli is world class, amazing cheese and prosciutto etc. Its off the chain. Then there is the farmers market, lots of grass fed meat, local veggies etc. Roos Roast coffee is sold by the bag at the market and his coffee is the best. We joined a co-op that comes to Ann Arbor every Friday for grass fed/pastured meat, eggs and raw dairy. Its incredibly reasonable and we are really happy with it. Going to pick the order up tomorrow. Its a great town.

Namasteak is offline Senior Member

Thanks for all the advice guys! Moving from Southern California will be a big change but I can handle that (grew up in Texas), I was worried I'd lose my beloved Trader Joes though! Glad to here I won't and that Whole Foods is near too (although that can quickly become Whole Paycheck). Anyone know about the housing situation there?

Beth_D is offline Junior Member

I love Ann Arbor. We drive up there at least twice a month for Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. The farmer's market is incredible too.

klubkhty is offline Junior Member

Namasteak, I live in Ann Arbor (Originally from SoCal... been in Ann Arbor for about 3 years). There's lots of housing available but be careful about living very close to where all the undergrads live (which is basically surrounding Central campus). It gets a little rowdy, especially during football season.

I love Ann Arbor (winters are a little brutal though).

Trau is offline Junior Member

Zingerman's is a MUST! Ask for a meat cone at the deli counter... I've only heard of it, haven't been back to actually try it, but I'm told for 5 bucks they will fill one of those Solo V-shaped cups with a butcher's choice of deliciousness. Can't wait to try it.