Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To much fat??? page

trachelle is offline Junior Member

To much fat???

Is it possible to eat too much fat? My brain has been "low-fat" programmed for so long, I think I may be overdoing it on the fat. I'm enjoying lots of bacon and butter, but scared I'm using the primal lifestyle as an excuse to over-indulge on the fats. For example in a full days time, I may eat this much fat: 2T of almond butter, a hand full of nuts/seed mix, 2-3T olive oil, 2T butter and 1-2T coconut oil for cooking. This is not including eggs and bacon. The SAD would say I am a heart attack waiting to happen, but need advice on this.

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    You'll get used to it.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    That's not very much.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

SusanMcL is offline Member
    trachelle - 3 days into this program and I have the same worry.... bacon and eggs for breakfast, lots of butter, meat, olive oil, avocados and on and on the list goes. Not to mention the whipped cream that I had on my fresh blueberries for dessert :-)

My brain has been programmed for so long to eat low fat and lots of whole grains, that this is scary.

But I knew that all the wheat I was eating was not doing me any good... I was lethargic all the time and had intestinal issues ... and I knew it was the wheat.. the more I ate, the worse I felt......... so I started Googling and landed here and on Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution website.

It sure sounds like a great plan....... :-)

mamacaz is offline Junior Member
    I felt the same and am still struggling mentally (not to mention the looks from my DH at what I'm eating). Try plugging your food intake into fitday or similar to check what % of your calories are fat. I am still freaking out that the majority of my calories are coming from sat fat. Eeek! But it's all good - early on I felt like I couldn't get enough but that's eased off now. Hang in there!

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    That's not very much.
    This

waynebw is offline Member
    Not to hijack the thread but I have the same question... but I eat a lot more fat. Is this too much?

My daily fat sources:
    5 x whole eggs (sometimes more yolks, less whites)
    40-70g organic grass-fed butter
    200g fatty fish (approx 20g natural fish fats)
    Handful of nuts (not every day)
    300g fatty cut of meat (ribeye fillet, chicken with skin or salmon)
    Twice a week indulgence in double cream and blueberries

I'm 11% bodyfat and have reasonable muscle and I'm not getting fat eating these.

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMcL View Post
    But I knew that all the wheat I was eating was not doing me any good... I was lethargic all the time and had intestinal issues ... and I knew it was the wheat.. the more I ate, the worse I felt........)
    Ditto!!! I had so many problems (esp. intestinal) associated with grains that have disappeared since I began primal. I definitely feel better, but will be interested to compare blood work when I go back to my doctor in 6 months for a check-up.

Quote Originally Posted by mamacaz View Post
    Try plugging your food intake into fitday or similar to check what % of your calories are fat. I am still freaking out that the majority of my calories are coming from sat fat. Eeek! But it's all good - early on I felt like I couldn't get enough but that's eased off now.
    Does Mark ever mention percentages of fats, proteins, carbs that you should have each meal in his book? I don't recall reading anything about that. Again, I am so brainwashed by eating plans and diets (Zone, which is a good program) that I am having a hard time thinking outside the box. I'll just keep at it. I'm feeling better, so that means a lot!!!

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I usually get around 50-60% of calories in a day from fat. Not sure about the ratios of other macro-nutrients that I average on but I tend to stay between 25-75 grams of carbs in a day and 100-150 grams of protein in a day.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast