DeeDub is offline Senior Member

9 Months in - Lab test

Primal Fuel
    This was the baseline, 9 months ago:

Total: 197
    HDL: 32
    LDC-C: 145
    Tri:103

After 9 months of considerably more aggressive than 80/20 primalism...

Total: 230
    HDL: 44
    LDL-C: 172
    Tri: 70

Have no idea if that's good, bad, or mixed. Have lost about 40 pounds in the interim, many pants sizes, and added a lot of strength (and presumably lean mass). It does appear that I've hit that magic "70" on Tri, which (according to posts I've seen here) suggests all my LDL is the good kind of LDL.

"Individuals with TG below 70 do not have small, dense LDL. It would not be necessary to measure LDL particle size in these individuals."
    http://www.centerforpreventivemedici..._messenger.pdf

But it's difficult to get a...clear reading.
    Last edited by DeeDub; 12-19-2011 at 04:32 PM.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Trigs are a pretty big deal. From what I understand, they're actually a much better predictor of your risk than anything else, so having Trigs at 70 is really great! It should mean your LDL is the big, fluffy kind, so that's good too.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Stevenhamley is offline Senior Member
    The HDL: triglyceride ratio is far more indicative of atherosclerosis than LDL alone. Your ratio has improved but there is room for some more improvement too. The lowest all cause morality for TC is about 220.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenhamley View Post
    The HDL: triglyceride ratio is far more indicative of atherosclerosis than LDL alone. Your ratio has improved but there is room for some more improvement too.
    Yeah, it's doubled in 9 months. How high can it (should it) go?

I still have about 50 pounds to complete the Tyler Durden transformation. Will retest in 6-7 months and see what happens next.
    Last edited by DeeDub; 12-19-2011 at 04:42 PM.

Oh, one other curious thing from the bloodwork - my potassium levels came back as slightly outside normal range. Thyroid and ApoB100 tests came back dead-center normal range.

Stevenhamley is offline Senior Member
    ~1:1 is pretty good.

I still have about 50 pounds to complete the Tyler Durden transformation
    That's a good move, wait until the weight comes off as weight loss can skew the results a little.

Potassium can be high from kidney problems. If it's high again, check the other kidney markers and with your doctor

There was one other number in the test that I didn't understand and rarely see mentioned here - the Doc added a test for "apolipoprotein b-100". Googling says this "even better" than LDL measurement/calculation.

Mine came dead-center of the (alleged) normal range, curious what if anything that actually means, from a primal/paleo perspective.