Thread: Something different - I need to GAIN weight page

AndraP is offline Junior Member

Something different - I need to GAIN weight

Primal Fuel
    I started working out at a Crossfit location in Toronto as part of my new years resolution (cheesy I know) at the beginning of 2010. It changed my life- for the better AND the worse. I lost 15 lbs, looked hot and felt great. And then the bad things happened. I started to have horrendous stomach pains (which I dubbed my belly deamon) whenever I "cheated" on my paleo inspired diet--nachos, beer etc. which I indulged in because I figured as long as I was working out as hard as I was, it couldn't hurt. After countless fruitless medical tests and doctors appointments and hours spent at the hospital, I self diagnosed myself with celiacs and cut out gluten since, based on the foods that seemed to worsen my gut problems, it made logical sense. In the past year, I have lost about 30 lbs without trying to. In fact, recently I've been trying to gain weight - to no avail. I'm 5'6 and weigh 110 lbs (which by bmi standards is normal, but which to me looks and feels unhealthy--mainly because I look gaunt and have no energy, or focus) and eat as much as my boyfriend (he's 6'3 and weighs 250lbs.) Every single test that I've had (including hyperthyroidism) has confirmed that for all intents and purposes I'm perfectly healthy. Even still, it's getting to the point where the bones in my chest and ribs are starting to show and I would really like this STOP.

Advice? Suggestions? Tips? Commiserators? PLEASE HELP !

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    One more tamarind, MATT DAMON
    might be the day I tried the liver - just like you

Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes, white potatoes, squash, any other starchy veg you can get yer hands on, fermented dairy, butter.....

Are you eating enough carb? I too, was starting to look gaunt on a relatively low carb paleo type gig. I felt good, but looked too skinny. Then I started eating more carbs, still lean as tiger but look and feel much more......full. Or solid.

I was eating all kinds of delicious, cheesy carby GF dishes until about 3 weeks ago.. I read somewhere that it's a good idea to cut all starches for a while, until the intestines heal a little, to promote absorption.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Bone broths will help heal your gut. Combining carbs and fat should help you gain some weight. Are you still doing crossfit? I'd focus on strength and skip the conditioning.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tradawg View Post
    Bone broths will help heal your gut. Combining carbs and fat should help you gain some weight. Are you still doing crossfit? I'd focus on strength and skip the conditioning.
    I agree with skipping the conditioning. For the longest time I was trying to gain muscle and couldn't. It came down to dropping conditioning and eating more. To be honest, eating more was the key. Sometimes I had to eat until I was uncomfortably full to get the scale to go up. It wasn't much fun but it was necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by tradawg View Post
    Given the sub-zero cold out right now, homemade soup sounds like a cure for more than guts! Thx for the tip

I haven't done Crossfit in a while, I find it way too demanding given how sucky I've been feeling - I've stuck to yoga and lifting (few reps, heavy loads) a few times a week.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Buttery mashed potatoes, paired with butter mashed sweet potatoes.

dado Guest
    Drink milk, bro.