Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please advise: 7 weeks, still in crushing low-energy?! page

Farankie is offline Junior Member

Please advise: 7 weeks, still in crushing low-energy?!

Primal Fuel
    Hello, may I get your opinions and advice on my situation? I'd be grateful!

Basically, I went Primal 7 weeks ago, diet and exercise. 2 weeks ago, my energy CRASHED, and I'm struggling to get it back. All my muscles often feel listless and heavy. It seems a bit late for Low Carb Flu, right?

I'm 33, 5'11'', 170 lbs, about 20% bodyfat (which I would like to lose much of). Pre-Primal Blueprint, I ate relatively healthy Portland-style. After the crash, I thought maybe I had cut carbs too fast in the first 4 or 5 weeks, so I've added in sweet potatoes, fruit, and white rice. Now, for fat/carb/protein, I'm eating around 130g/100g/140g; about 2000 calories. Tons of vegetables and meat.

I've been scouring this site, but now I'm just confused. Shall I...
    get carbs near 150g for a while?
    Carb re-feed?
    Jack up the fat to 160g? 200g?
    Something else?

Thanks a lot!

MvEssen is offline Senior Member
    Stop counting, eat what you feel your body needs.

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Why don't you look up the symptoms of Vitamin D Deficiency. You could carb up really good one day, but unless you are really active, I don't see why 100g would be a problem.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Did you stop drinking vitamin D-fortified milk when you went Primal, by chance? You might not be getting enough, especially in Portland in the wintertime. Vitamin D has a long half life in your body so you might have just started running low. It's a very inexpensive and safe supplement though, luckily. I like Carlson's D drops, which are in most health stores and on Amazon.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I get that terrible muscle fatigue from magnesium and potassium deficiency. I would suggest a good quality magnesium (natural calm is popular around here). Also, homemade chicken stock with lots of sea salt should help. You could also have a couple of glasses of water a day with a a little sea salt.

And I second the vitamin D suggestions as well.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    +1 for the magnesium, potassium and vit d.
    IMHO it just looks like you're not eating enough.
    I don't like counting, but 2000 calories your someone of your size is not a lot...
    Try eating more for a while and see how you feel.

Personally I'd also advise to sticking with the PB as described by Mark for several months at least before you start messing with all the other tweaks that you read about on the forums. In fact, I'd say stick to the books and mark's blog for a while before you get sucked into the forum.
    It can quickly become a confusing place with lots of conflicting info

Remember, depending on your situation it may take longer for your body to adjust, get healthy, etc. which it may well need to do before you start pushing it to lose fat.

Also, make sure you're getting enough quality sleep
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Your exhaustion and pain is the low potassium from all the water weight you've lost. When your insulin is chronically elevated from a typical high-carb diet, your body holds on to a lot of extra fluid. Once you cut the carbs, it lets go of the extra fluid but a lot of potassium gets flushed out, too. It really does feel like a crash and it happens right about where you are in the program. You can use potassium supplements or "lite" salt to help. I found regular salt and magnesium also helpful, especially the regular salt.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    You might need to add salt to your food. I do. Eat enough avocados and sweet potatoes to maintain potassium levels. That just about got rid of my muscle fatigue. But you aren't me, so try whatever you like.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Your exhaustion and pain is the low potassium from all the water weight you've lost. When your insulin is chronically elevated from a typical high-carb diet, your body holds on to a lot of extra fluid. Once you cut the carbs, it lets go of the extra fluid but a lot of potassium gets flushed out, too. It really does feel like a crash and it happens right about where you are in the program. You can use potassium supplements or "lite" salt to help. I found regular salt and magnesium also helpful, especially the regular salt.
    Hmm this makes sense of my experience too. I get through low carb flu and then a few weeks in, feel even worse. No wonder I am loving salting everything with my celtic salt, and am feeling better this time round! Plus I just added a multi with potassium in it. Interesting.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm just repeating what is written in Drs. Eades' Protein Power. They specifically say that the reduction in insulin on a low carb diet has a diuretic effect on the kidneys and the fluid retained in/by them.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast