Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Iodine & Healthy Thyroid Function part 1 page

dr mickey g Guest

I started going off on an Iodine tangent on another post, so I thought I'd move some of the info over here for anyone interested in this most-important element, and the role it plays in maintaining healthy thyroid function, and by virtue of that, a healthy metabolism.

Google "conditions treated with iodine" and you'll find that it's used to treat everything from ADD and headaches to brain fog, "zombification", low IQ, depression, and chronic fatigue.

The reason? Iodine is full for the thyroid gland, and the thyroid gland, along with the adrenal glands, play an important physiological role in the prevention of the aforementioned conditions. Together the thyroid and adrenals are the two biggest energy-producing glands in the human body, and unlocking their potential is a key component to attaining vibrancy and health.

Properties of Iodine include: Production of thyroid hormones*, Antiseptic to bacteria, viruses and fungus, Anti parasitic, Anti fibrotic and cancer, Mucolytic agent, Alkalizing agent, Triggers apoptosis, Chemical and biological detoxifier, Anti allergic

*Functions of Thyroid Hormones include:

Neurological development and function, Increases all hormone receptor sensitivity, Regulates metabolism, Digestion, Oxygen consumption, Heat & energy production, Mobilizes fat –release of fatty acids from adipose tissue

Interesting how Conventional Wisdom eschewed its use back in the day, claiming we could get our daily requirement through the consumption of Iodized salt alone. Sure you can get your 'daily requirement' that way--if all you're interested in is preventing goiter! If you're at all interested in optimum health and vitality, then you're going to need to explore other avenues of Iodine intake in your diet.

Every cell in the body contains and uses Iodine.

The Thyroid contains the most iodine needs 6 mg iodide per day. Breast tissue contains the 2nd most iodine needs 5 mg iodine per day. Other glands and tissue combined need 2 mg iodine/iodide per day. Other tissues requiring iodine include: Ovaries

Salivary glands, Parotid glands (your body's first line of defense against Heavy Metal Toxicity), Pancreas, Cerebral spinal fluids, Brain, Stomach

Epithelial tissue, Lacrimal glands -Tear ducts, WBC

Iodine is required for all of your body's symporter systems to function optimally.

According to Dr. Royal Lee, founder of Standard Process: “We have always held that deficiency of minerals from a metabolic standpoint was more often due to the inability to assimilate because of vitamin

deficiency than because of actual dietary lack. Not

that such dietary shortage does not frequently occur,

but that in the great majority of cases it is the vitamin deficiency that makes the shortage apparent.

A good illustration is the case of iodine deficiency

in goiter, where the primary cause is a vitamin B and

C deficiency, necessitating a higher intake of iodine

to prevent trouble, the use of B and C concentrates

being a far more satisfactory remedy than iodine

after the condition has developed.”

Royal Lee; Vitamin News;Vol. 3, No. 7; June 15, 1935

It takes a severe Iodine deficiency to cause goiter, and usually a contributing factor like Chlorine exposure either in your home water supply or due to chronic exposure to chlorinated swimming pools or cleaning products. Chlorine actually displaces Iodine from cells in the thyroid gland as they compete for the same binding sites. This occurs due to their similar valence electron availablity (see below link for periodic table of elements), with Chlorine displacing Iodine because Chlorine has a lower molecular weight than Iodine, so apparently the body prefers that more.

Those who think they may be being exposed to chlorine in the municipal water supply should not only consider adding a faucet filter, but a showerhead filter as well--especially if you like to take long, hot showers like my wife does. That warm water open your pores right up, and if there's chlorine in your water it will get right into your body and negatively affect the thyroid gland.

Iodine is food for the thyroid gland, and keeps it healthy. Iodine also has extremely powerful antiseptic properties. All of the blood in the body passes through the thyroid gland every 17 minutes where--if Iodine levels are sufficient--it gets exposed to, and sanitized by, Iodine, a most potent bacterial, fungal, viral, and parasitic killer.

jspegel is offline Junior Member

So supplement with Iodine that I can buy from Walgreens? or is there something specific?

pseudoyams is offline Junior Member

Ive heard that supplementing with Iodine (kelp tabs) can help hypothyroid patients. But what if (like me) a person has multiple goiters and hashimoto's as well? Does iodine still help in this case?

Katt is offline Senior Member

I was going to ask about Hashimoto's as well, which is what I have been diagnosed with.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

dr mickey g Guest

jspegel-i wouldn't recommend blindly supplementing with iodine until a certified health practitioner has not only ascertained the need for it in your body, but also has the ability to evaluate the exact dose your body can handle. i would recommend an ACT Graduate from the Nutrtion Response Testing website. Click link below to find a practitioner in your area:

http://www.unsinc.info/locate-clinician.html

Of course you can always go to the store, buy some iodine, and do an Iodine Patch Test.

http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.com/HealingTechniques/iodine_patch_test.htm

In any case i'd advise introducing iodine slowly, starting in dosages in micrograms rather than milligrams, and usually no later than 4 pm.

pseudoyams & Katt-hashimoto's is an interesting autoimmune condition where your body has actually recognized your thyroid as a foreign substance and launched an attack on it. Autoimmune thyroiditis is

associated with very low levels of stable iodine in the thyroid, and most likely began as Leaky Gut Syndrome for a period of 5-15 years preceeding thyroid symtpoms.

Typically I introduce iodine VERY slowly with these types of patients, and they almost always test for needing Thytrophin PMG, a product by Standard Process. The PMG is a bioidentical thyroid protein taken from the thyroid gland of a healthy animal which then undergoes careful cold-processing techniques to maintain its bioavailability. This ProtoMorphogen (PMG) Protein acts as a decoy in autoimmune cases, and will help to take some of that immune heat off of the thyroid gland so that it can repair itself.

Back to the topic of Leaky Gut Syndrome which no doubt caught your eye(s) before. It is widely believed that autoimmune conditions all originate from issues with the gut. That tiny, microscopic holes in the intestinal lining allow foreign proteins consume in the diet to leak out into the bloodstream where they are recognized as foreign, and an attack by your body's immune system is mounted.

Once engaged, this assault is quick to kill off the foreign protein, but slow to bring the troops back to the barracks. Depending on which of your body's organs that foreign protein was most similar to in structure, or the location in the bloodstream where it was picked up, will determine which organ is affected.

If the foreign protein most closely resembled your thyroid proteins on a genetic level, or was assaulted in the cervical (neck) region by the immune lymphocytes, then hashimoto's will result. If in the joints, then rheumatoid arthritis, etc.

Mickey-

Thanks for the reply! Very helpful. I actually ran across the Thytrophin PMG earlier and ordered a bottle to try it out today. Im hoping this will relieve some of the symptoms (pressure on base of neck and all else that comes with it).

Im started supplementing with kelp tabs recently as well. I get 150mcg from my multivitamin and am currently taking 1 kelp tab a day which gives an additional 225mcg of iodine. Is 375mcg of Iodine a day somewhere in line with what youd recommend? I know this varies for everyone and I plan on doing the iodine test, but Id like to hear your thoughts. I can give you more background of my condition if that would help.

Thanks!

-Rob

dr mickey g Guest

Rob,

375 mcg/day should be enough to get you started. An easy but slighly esoteric way to dose yourself...you need a partner, maybe grab your wife, brother, or significant other with your approximate arm strength...

Hold your dominant arm straight out in front of you palm down, and have them place their palm on the back of your wrist and exert a moderate downward pressure (15-20 lbs. of force should do).

Feel your arm strength...

Then in your left hand hold one of your kelp tabs, and have your partner repeat the test. If the kelp is of a high quality and the iodine in it will benefit your body, your arm strength should either be the same or slightly increase. You may just feel like they aren't pushing as hard...

Try it again with 2 kelp tabs in the other hand and repeat, continuing to add kelp tabs until the arm goes weak. Once it goes weak you have exceeded the dose that your body can tolerate.

This is your introduction to Nutrition Response Testing.

P.S.- this dose I refer to is your DAILY dose.

jspegel is offline Junior Member

Dr. Brownstein has a lot of good info regarding iodine as well.

Dr Mickey-

Really?! How would your body even adsorb the iodine in the tabs that quickly? I looked up some of the NRT stuff, it seems real, but kinda skeptical about it. Needless, it doesnt hurt to try which I will. If you have any more info about that Id be interested in reading up on it.

Thanks for the information-

Rob

Katt is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Interesting and informative post, thanks, Dr Mickey. I'm on Synthroid as recommended by my endocrinologist. After 9 months of primal/paleo eating habits, and a net loss of almost 40 lbs, he lowered my dosage from 150 mg to 137 mg. He hasn't mentioned iodine supplementation at all, but I've been looking into it.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast