Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Iodine & Healthy Thyroid Function part 1 page 3

dr mickey g Guest

Shop Now

pseudoyams

Longquan-

I notice that when I am primal the pressure on the base of my neck is much less. In my experience it does seem that carbs and sugars does cause it to "flare up".

-Rob

THE ADRENAL GLANDS AND THE THYROID ARE TWO ENDS OF THE SAME STICK. WHILE SUGAR CONSUMPTION AND BLOOD SUGAR REGULATION DOES NOT DIRECTLY AFFECT THE THYROID (THEY DIRECTLY AFFECT THE ADRENALS), IT IS STILL TRUE THAT IF YOU STRESS ONE END OF THE STICK ENOUGH THE OTHER END WILL EVENTUALLY FALL DOWN.

emmie is offline Senior Member

I'm not quite understanding this. Are you saying that women whose hormones are in flux are being diagnosed as hypothyroid when they're not?

Then how to you account for the antibodies that indicate Hashimoto's (7 of 10 women)?

My own Hashimoto's was diagnosed via a FNA biopsy of a nodule.

I don't understand how this can be solely a "liver" issue.

dr mickey g Guest

emmie,

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis is different than Hypothyroidism.

Neither are "solely" a liver issue. They are both conditions that involve multiple organs the complexity of which are determined with each individual case.

Any physician who looks at one organ as the problem is not seeing the body as a whole.

Katt is offline Senior Member

My understanding of Hashimoto's is that it is an autoimmune disease brought on by the body attacking the thyroid secretions, thinking that they are a foreign body. In connection to gluten sensitivity, leaky gut, and/or Celiacs, the body is already under attack by foreign proteins and the thyroid ends up being under fire because of mistaken identity, so to speak.

I was tested specificially for Hashimoto's. It's not just hormones on my part. It didn't come at the onset of puberty, I had a problem well before my first pregnancy and I am not yet going through menopause.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

dr mickey g Guest

Katt: I was tested specificially for Hashimoto's. It's not just hormones on my part. It didn't come at the onset of puberty, I had a problem well before my first pregnancy and I am not yet going through menopause.

dr mickey g: Perhaps an issue with the HPT-axis, then...excess stress levels affecting the pituitary gland via the HPA (hypothalaic-pituitary-adrenal) axis. Always many possibilities to consider with the onset of conditions like Hashimoto's.

Why not just ask your body in it's infinite wisdom? It knows things...

Hi, Dr. G.

I know the body knows things. But I'm still not able to jump into that leap of faith that says by holding a pill in one hand, your body can tell you if it needs it or not. Sounds like New Age hokum. No offense to you. I'm just not wrapping my brain around it. :/

dr mickey g Guest

Katt,

Not a problem--I have seen my share of non-believers in my practice, believe you me. Heres how I explain it to patients:

"These nutritional supplements that I'm testing against your body have an energy. They were once living, breathing things--they have an energy and your body has an energy as all living things do. These supplements are made up of animal parts, genuine replacement parts from the organs of healthy animals that are identical to the proteins found in your body, and the rest come from plant sources. They have been cold-processed to retain their biological activity.

Because I'm testing them through a glass container--plastic won't work for these--the energy of the supplements are not reflected back into the bottle, but are allowed to pass through."

There is some other vocab in there too, but that is the main gist of it. These supplements have a frequency of their own that they resonate at. Just like disease. Just like emotions. Just like the Law of Attraction. Like attracts like except in cases of magnetic polarity (which is built in to the NRT testing protocols to ensure accuracy).

If you REALLY want to see a good example of NRT/Applied Kinesiology in action, do the following:

1. Hold your 'good arm' out in front of you and have a partner assess it's strength.

2. Hold your cell phone against your heart while having your partner repeat Step 1.

Convinced yet?

*chuckles* I'll give it a try when I get home from work.

I respect the chiropractic community, having benefitted greatly from it in the past. I also know that the our minds are capable of much more than we understand at present. I wouldn't really label myself as a non-believer. Just cautious, especially about medical advice on forums.

I'll do a bit more research on the subject, however. It is definately interesting. Thank you.

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member

Respectfully, Dr. Mickey G, claims about "energy" and "resonance frequencies" don't pass the sniff test when it comes to physical plausibility. There's a Nobel Prize in it for you and your colleagues if you can find reproducible evidence of a mechanism of action like that!

Furthermore, your NRT demonstrations seem extremely prone to influence from the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideomotor_effect.

I'm sure you're a perfectly nice person and you seem to have a strong understanding of the (real) mechanisms at hand and their clinical application. I'd love to hear more of what you have to say, but would appreciate it immeasurably if we could keep the Deepak Chopra-esque hand-waving from diluting the actual information.

Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

dr mickey g Guest

Grokologist,

1. Find a guitar and pluck the first (Low E) string.

2. Hold down the 1st fret and pluck again.

Notice the sound difference? You went from an E to an F. They sound different because their frequencies are different--the string vibrates at a higher frequency at F than it does at E. Whether you're a trained musician or not you can hear it...I guess that's my line on frequency.

As far as energy and resonance, the Chinese have known about it for a few thousand years now, but they call it Qi. I believe modern science is still trying to find a way to measure it--the closest they've come to explaining Qi is that it is some combination of Matter and Energy.

Resonance is an interesting concept as well:

"While change is primarily internal, forms of being can influence other forms of being. Things "evoke" change in other things. For the Chinese, this kind of "causing" or "inducatance," however, is not because of an external compulsion. Things influence other things because they "connect" or "elicit" what is already a "disposition" in things. This ability for one thing to influence another is called in Chinese gan ying, which is usually translated as "resonance". If Qi is the link, resonance is the method." -Ted Kaptchuk, assistant Professor of Medicine, Harvard University

If it's any consolation I cut my teeth doing hair analysis for years and attend all the latest functional endocrinology seminars that come to the Chicago area. My one big knock on a lot of NRT practitioners is that they got so good at the muscle testing that they forgot about what is going on inside the body. I just like it because it's a quick (usually 5 minutes or less in my practice) means of assessing nutritional needs in the body as well as allowing me to zero-in on the exact dose the body needs. But enough about the NRT skepticism...back to the thyroid!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast