Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Iodine & Healthy Thyroid Function part 1 page 2

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I have the opposite problem. I have a tendency towards hyperthyroidism (textbook Graves Disease). Any ideas on how a primal diet might affect that?

dr mickey g Guest

sorry, fellow grokkers been running around all weekend. will definitely post some more when i get home tonight.

yams,

how did the muscle testing with the kelp tablets go? in a nutshell the way it works can be explained by some introductory reading on Applied Kinesiology which you can check out here: http://www.appliedkinesiology.com

Kat,

you should see an NRT practitioner to assess whether your thyroid condition is a true hypothyroid condition, or if it has slowed down it's own production because your liver is running a little behind in it's detox processes, or is missing the Selenium required to perform the conversion from T4 to T3. Either of these things would send a signal from the liver to the thyroid telling it to chill out for a bit. Remember, the liver has to handle ALL of the hormones in the body, includin estrogen, which has a superlong half life compared to other hormones. Your body knows that estrogen can be cancer-causing when left to linger in the body for too long, and will prioritize it's clearance from the body over producing even MORE hormones from the thyroid gland. So there may not be a problem with the thyroid at all...this is why 95% of women with "hypothyroid" have estrogenic body types and high estrogen levels.

Of course your HPT (hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid) axis may be a little off due to excess/prolonged stress and your body's inability to cope with it due to lack of sufficient rest, sun exposure, exercise, and nutrition. More on that later...

pseudoyams is offline Junior Member

Dr Mickey-

I tried the NRT with the kelp tabs. I stopped at 15 tabs in my hand. I didnt feel any difference from the first to the last.

I also tried the iodine patch from the link you posted above. I put it on around 9p before I went to bed, let it drive and hit the hay. I woke up at shortly after midnight and it was gone. Totally. I could tell where I applied it, but the color was totally gone.

So, it would appear that I need to up my iodine intake. My question is, does iodine have an adverse affect in people with Hashimoto's?

-Rob

emmie is offline Senior Member

Please be cautious! I have Hashimoto's, and my research indicates that supplemental iodine not only will not help but may cause harm. Please talk to your doctor before beginning any supplemental iodine.

Moreover, the 'cause' of Hashimoto's has been fairly well established as resulting (in women--those most commonly afflicted) from hormonal shifts, since it tends to manifest at times when such shifts are common--puberty, childbirth, menopause.

Often it isn't identified at these times because one can have Hashimoto's for a while before becoming hypothyroid and even longer before a diagnosis is made. Hashimoto's patients often have 'normal' blood values when they also have hypothyroid symptoms, so it's often difficult to get a diagnosis.

Katt is offline Senior Member

"Please be cautious!"

Absolutely.

I'm not sure I'm on board with the NRT. I don't buy that the muscles automatically know what supplement one should ingest.

I'm interested in case cutting out wheat, which is a likely first cause of Hashimoto's via Leaky Gut Syndrome, allows me to heal enough to follow through with other forms of therapy.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

Longquan is offline Member

@Emmie: My girlfriend's mother also suffers from Hashimoto. Did going Paleo/avoiding grains and dairy do anything good for your condition?

thx!

emmie is offline Senior Member

Longquan-

I have been eating low carb for quite a while, and it was within the past 5 months that I've been eating Primal by cutting out all grains (was eating a few bran crackers before), dairy, and ALL artificial sweeteners. It's too soon to know if it has actually helped my blood values (I don't get tested again until next month), but I am feeling magnificent, and it really seems to "healed" my metabolism in some way (again, too early to really tell).

Here's what's been happening. I am post-menopausal and hypothyroid, and that combination results in very slow weight loss--about a pound a week or slightly less. However, in the past month, that loss has doubled, and I seem to be steadily losing at the higher rate. I eat only fish, meat, eggs, veggies (mainly broccoli and spinach), and use olive oil as my only fat--except for almond butter which is my "treat." I occasionally have nuts, usually when I'm traveling and need something like that.

I don't feel the least deprived because eating this way makes me feel great. I'll know next month whether it's helping my thyroid situation at all.

Longquan is offline Member

Emmie,

thank you so much for your answer! I always try to convince her but it seems she's too carb addicted Maybe this will help her!

pseudoyams is offline Junior Member

Longquan-

I notice that when I am primal the pressure on the base of my neck is much less. In my experience it does seem that carbs and sugars does cause it to "flare up".

-Rob

dr mickey g Guest

So, it would appear that I need to up my iodine intake. My question is, does iodine have an adverse affect in people with Hashimoto's?

-Rob

Even if you were testing strong w/ 15 of the kelp tabs in your hand (a sure sign for a BIG iodine need) AND had the iodine completely disappear (another big sign for iodine need) I would introduce it slowly, and do it in conjunction with the Thytrophin PMG, which I would also muscle test. You may also need a stronger individual to do the testing on you. When I put any Standard Process product in my hand that is good for me my 135-lb. wife can practically hang from my arm lol...

Posted 23 hours ago #

emmie

Please be cautious! I have Hashimoto's, and my research indicates that supplemental iodine not only will not help but may cause harm. Please talk to your doctor before beginning any supplemental iodine.

dr mickey g: CORRECT

Moreover, the 'cause' of Hashimoto's has been fairly well established as resulting (in women--those most commonly afflicted) from hormonal shifts, since it tends to manifest at times when such shifts are common--puberty, childbirth, menopause.

dr mickey g: CORRECT AGAIN. NOW TAKE THIS A STEP FURTHER ON AN ENDOCRINOLOGY LEVEL. LIVER GETS CONGESTED DURING THESE TIMES OF INCREASED HORMONE PRODUCTION IN THE BODY BECAUSE THE LIVER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR CLEARING ALL HORMONES FROM THE BODY, ESPECIALLY ESTROGEN. IN MOST CASES THE THYROID WILL SLOW DOWN IT'S PRODUCTION OF T4 BECAUSE IT IS MORE BENEFICIAL FOR THE BODY TO CLEAR THE EXCESS ESTROGEN AND WILL PRIORITZE THAT OVER T4 PRODUCTION. THE BODY'S NATURAL RESPONSE TO THIS IS FOR THE PITUITARY GLAND TO UP ITS PRODUCTION OF TSH (THYROID-STIMULATING HORMONE) TO TRY TO GET THAT SILLY THYROID TO DO ITS JOB! USUALLY THE THYROID IGNORES THAT SIGNAL, AND CONTINUES TO WAIT UNTIL IT GETS A SIGNAL FROM THE LIVER THAT IT'S READY TO RESUME T4--->T3 CONVERSION. IF AN M.D. DOES A BLOOD TEST AT THIS POINT IN TIME, THEY'LL FIND LOW T4/T3 LEVELS AND INCREASED LEVELS OF TSH. THIS IS WHERE THEY JUMP ON SYNTHROID BECAUSE THE PROBLEM MUST BE IN THE THYROID...RIGHT?? NOPE. YOUR BODY (AND YOUR THYROID) ARE INFINITELY SMARTER THAN YOUR M.D.

IN HYPERTHYROIDISM (MORE RARE) THE THYROID LISTENS TO THAT SIGNAL FROM THE PITUITARY GLAND. EITHER SITUATION IS FAIRLY EASY TO REVERSE IN THE COURSE OF A FEW MONTHS AND AFTER A FEW PRIMAL DIETARY CHANGES WHEN CONSULTING THE PROPER DOCTOR.

Often it isn't identified at these times because one can have Hashimoto's for a while before becoming hypothyroid and even longer before a diagnosis is made. Hashimoto's patients often have 'normal' blood values when they also have hypothyroid symptoms, so it's often difficult to get a diagnosis.

dr mickey g: CORRECT AGAIN.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast