Thread: Primal Diet and Kidney Pain? page

Griffin is offline Senior Member

Primal Diet and Kidney Pain?

Primal Fuel
    I've been having ongoing back issue in the past few months. Last week, the pain began to centre in my lower back area around my (mostly left) kidney area and radiating into my testicular region (sorry for the imagery to everyone but Mrs. Griffin).

A co-worker explained that in 1999-2001 he was having similar issues while on a "high protein diet." His doctor had him take a urine test and it seems his kidneys couldn't keep up with the protein intake.

Is this a concern for those who eat primally? I know I eat more eggs for breakfast and too many nuts for snacks, but otherwise I don't think I've been eating that much more protein than I used to. I have an appointment with my doctor on Thursday to discuss this new information.

Does anyone have any suggestions or information about this?
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

RedMenace is offline Senior Member
    I was having this problem, flank pain associated with kidneys, a few weeks ago. I was suspicious it was because of my kidneys being unhappy at my high-protein diet. I upped my fat, water, and veg intake and only slightly decreased my meat/egg/protein intake and everything seems to have righted itself. I think my fats to protein ratio was just skewed horribly towards protein and I was dehydrated as a result, both of which makes for serious kidney pain.

Let us know what the doctor says, yeah?
    Prions are natures way of telling us that cannibalism is for losers.

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36522.html

ErinF is offline Senior Member
    I've been having some pain in my kidneys since switching to primal, but after monitoring the pain after two weeks I realized it was because I was drinking more water than my body can handle. My doctor said some people just don't need as much water and apparently my body does best with only 32 to 40 oz a day rather than the 64 oz that I used to drink. My pain only happened after drinking water so it was easier to identify. Have you noticed if the pain happens directly after drinking water?

It could also be that you're dehydrated like PP said.

It could be the dehydration as I haven't been as good about drinking water lately - more coffee and fake beer. I do notice it mostly while/after sitting. I have to hobble around like an unhealthy old man for a couple minutes before my hips and back loosen up.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

jakey is offline Senior Member
    dude, you're going to see a doctor about this, right? that aint normal.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    +1

Kidney pain = doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    Yep - Appointment on Thursday morning.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    The pain goes away after you move around a bit? That sounds more like hip pain than kidney pain. When I had kidney stones that caused kidney swelling a severe pain, there was no position anywhere that I was comfortable. That is one of the tests of kidney pain - it is not positional. There is no data that I am aware of that a high protein diet is hard on healthy kidneys. People with already diseased kidneys need to limit protein intake.

I believe there is data saying that a ketotic diet can induce kidney stones. But it doesn't really sound like that is what you have.

ETA - I think I remember reading that pain radiating down in to the testicles was a kidney stone symptom, so who knows! Glad you are going to the doctor.
    Last edited by jammies; 12-19-2011 at 04:07 PM.

I saw my chiropractor tonight and he thinks it's bio-mechanical. I'll check with my GP to rule anything out though.