Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Source for Soluble Fiber? page

westes is offline Senior Member

Primal Source for Soluble Fiber?

Primal diets seem to exclude grains, oats, and corn. Yet these are foods that have the best soluble fiber. Fruit and vegetable fibers are far less bulky. Is there a recommended Primal solution for getting extra soluble fiber into a diet?

What about the idea of using oat bran/fiber, which is very low carb, yet retains most of the valuable soluble fiber in the oat?

I have been supplementing with grapefruit fiber as well, which I have read has good cardiovascular effects, but it isn't as bulky as fibers in grains/oats/corn.

I looked for corn fiber, and I did not find it. I guess it is not economic to produce?

norak is offline Senior Member
    Vegetables?
    Norak's Primal Journal:
    2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
    2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
    2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Satch12879 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by norak View Post
    Vegetables?
    Indeed.

I wish people would read the damn book; this is all dealt with in there.

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Why do you want fiber anyway? Are you a cow? Are you a goat? No. You shouldn't need fiber.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...um%2Fforum.php
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Vegetables are mostly insoluble fibers, cellulose.
    Starchy foods are soluble, like potato, apple (no skin), etc...soluble is what will make you poop, insoluble is what will get ya plugged up or cause obstruction, letting fluids rush by making it look like diarrhea, when it isn't.
    Stay away from grains (except white rice which is low on fiber and passes through quickly), because grains have too many side-effects over long term to be healthy. Small fruits being eaten with skins such as berries are also a great choice.
    To bulk up without causing constipation use white rice or potatoes. Vegetables seem to cause clumping and form a giant boulder that's hard to pass. (in large amounts).

Don't be paranoid about the insulin response from white rice or potato, you're not going to become diabetic from any of these unless you consume them daily, with every meal over MANY years.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Indeed.

I wish people would read the damn book; this is all dealt with in there.
    With all due respect, vegetables have insoluble fiber not soluble fiber. They do not add volume to the stool. Consider this reference:

Dietary Fiber: Insoluble and Soluble Fiber

In terms of soluble fiber, one half cup of fruit will get you about 2 grams of soluble fiber. The equivalent amount of oats would get you 8 grams. To get to the recommended amount of 40 grams of soluble fiber per day, you would be eating fruit non stop morning to night.

It might be the case that the Primal diet either has nothing to say about getting more Soluble fiber, or it might take the position that you don't need it. I don't see any harm in having soft bulky well formed stool, and I certainly do see harm in constipation. If those are my choices probably I would prefer the former to the latter.

Can someone see any harm in taking Oat Bran, which is an extremely low carbo form of oats? Oat Bran is mostly just the oat bran fiber without the kernel.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    You should consider then that the "recommended amount" of soluble fiber is to offset other detrimental foods in the standard American diet. I don't eat any kind of grain except for white rice on occasion and my stool is regular and well formed. Why do you think you need this kind of fiber?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member
    Issabeau and Westes, you guys have this backwards. Directly from Westes' source:

Insoluble fibers are considered gut-healthy fiber because they have a laxative effect and add bulk to the diet, helping prevent constipation.
    Insoluble means they don't dissolve and stay intact, which increases volume of stool. If you have constipation problems, take it as a sign that you're not eating enough leafy greens or other vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    You should consider then that the "recommended amount" of soluble fiber is to offset other detrimental foods in the standard American diet. I don't eat any kind of grain except for white rice on occasion and my stool is regular and well formed. Why do you think you need this kind of fiber?
    On a primal diet without supplementing soluble fiber my stool is narrow and not well formed.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by DubleYoo View Post
    Issabeau and Westes, you guys have this backwards. Directly from Westes' source:

Insoluble means they don't dissolve and stay intact, which increases volume of stool. If you have constipation problems, take it as a sign that you're not eating enough leafy greens or other vegetables.
    I think you miss the point of soluble fiber. One gram of soluble fiber becomes about *FIVE* grams of stool because the fiber ABSORBS water and increases volume. One gram of insoluble fiber adds one gram of fecal volume because it does not absorb water.

So if volume is what you want, then soluble is by far going to give you more result per gram ingested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast