Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling gardeners / veg growers! page 2

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

The answer to which is the best seed catalog has a lot to do with where you live. In the Pacific NW, I think Territorial is the best. They've been around for ages, and their seeds/plants are specific to this region. http://www.territorialseed.com

chima_p is offline Senior Member

You can eat beans and peas if they are in the edible pod.

They won't have any of the nasties since they are the immature seed.

What is better than yellow wax beans with butter in August? Perhaps snap peas straight from the vine while weeding.

I would not suggest getting a catalouge. Unless you want to be disappointed that you only have 15 square feet haha! Seedsaver.org is great. They will have lots of heirloom varieties that are unique like red carrots or chocolate peppers.

I still have 2 4 x 8 plots reserved at my ex wifes backyard haha! I can't wait till spring!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Ahh I didn't know that chima_p. You sure?

Maybe I could add sugar snap pease / mange tout to my list...

Negotiating my growing patch tomorrow, wish me luck!

lbd
    lbd is offline Junior Member

I would grow a caged tomato plant or two. Plant a row of green beans if you eat them - you can really squeeze them in and pick several times. You can get small bush zucchini - you will probably need more than one for pollination, since you might get a male plant which will have lovely blossoms, but no squash. Bush cucumbers are easy as well. Broccoli, cabbage, and others in that family attract cabbage butterflies and worms. Hard to grow without pesticides or constant attention. Carrots are easy, but take a long time. Radishes are quick! Plant leaf lettuces and spinach for greens which can be cut over and over. I like to put herbs in between things. If you eat potatoes, you can grow those above ground - just cover with a thick layer of straw.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

After years and years of gardening, I have narrowed what I plant to only those vegetables that taste the best straight from the garden, and those that I use so frequently that there's a great advantage to having them handy all the time. If you have limited space, I strongly suggest you do the same.

For example, squash plants take a lot of space in the garden, even when they're trained up a trellis. They have an extensive root system that makes it difficult to grow anything else in near proximity. But, squash from the farmer's market tastes just as good as squash straight from the vine, so there's little advantage to growing your own, unless you have lots of room.

Depending on where you live, and how experienced you are as a gardener, other vegetables may also be better for you to buy.

For a beginning gardener in a very small space, tomatoes are always a good bet. They taste best when freshly picked, are very satisfying and easy to grow. Lettuce, too, is easily grown in the home garden, and because it's used often, you can't overlook the convenience factor. In the size of garden you describe, you have enough room for two vigorous tomato plants, a small row of lettuce (use scissors to cut the tops and the lettuce will go all season), and maybe some radishes (2 or 3 plantings in the spring), possibly a little room for your favorite herb like basil or cilantro. Where you had the radishes, later in the season you can plant Brussels sprouts, as they taste best after some frost, and they quickly go to seed if you plant them when it's too hot.

Please, keep us updated on what you decide and how it works for you. I love to read gardening stories.

great tips, thank you!

I think I'll update the garden on my journal thread. Today we picked out and dug over a patch, much bigger than I thought but it means I should get a bumper crop!

I've decided not to plan too in-depth, as mother nature doesn't read plans! But the gist will be to plant very close together as per SFG; squash and peas up a trellis / cage at the northern end so they don't shade out other things; I want to try for purple sprouting broccoli, beets, carrots, parsnips, celery and leeks! Any summer gaps will be filled with quick salad crops; and any space in autumn will go over to kale / spring green-type things.

The other people using the veg garden are completely bemused by my plans but are being kind and helpful

neighborhood fit is offline Junior Member

to determine your zone check out http://www.almanac.com/ which also gives you info on what and when to plant for your zone.

“Being realistic is the most commonly traveled road to mediocrity.”

neighborhood fit is offline Junior Member

That's Tara Tootie for the seedsavers link never heard of them.

When I buy something from the store that has seeds, I save them and wait for planting time.

“Being realistic is the most commonly traveled road to mediocrity.”

grandma is offline Member

NMG -- jealous a little. No Digging here -- ground is frozen.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Awww Sir G, you'll defrost soon (I hope! Where are you?). I've got instructions to rescue some silage wrapping - thick black plastic - to lay out to warm up the ground.

Still trying to work out what to plant and when! Taking into account what seeds everyone else has, then maybe I need only buy one or two new varieties

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast