Thread: Dehydrating bolognase for camping? page

SophieE is offline Senior Member

Question Dehydrating bolognase for camping?

Primal Fuel
    So in the pursuit of something proteiny for camping (food in backpack while hiking for a few days not the drive to the campsite with a cooler and weber bbq type of camping) my boyfriend has made bolognese sauce with mince meat and shoved some in the dehydrator. He seems to think that he will be able to carry this in his backpack, add hot water to it, let it sit for 10 minutes and then have bolognese sauce. Whether it will taste good or not is currently not my concern- I just can't see it not going rancid. Is my worrying unfounded?

Also, homemade jerky- how long can that stay unrefridgerated in a warmish environment? (Australia)

Thanks!

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    I'm an experienced camper, not so much a hiker although I live in a hiking area. I do historical re-enactment which can be very primitive. I think rancidity depends on how long it stays out in the warm. I have a dehydrater that goes to 165 F and do all my meat type dehydrating at that temperature and then drop it in the freezer until I'm ready to use it. I usually marinate my meat before I dry it in something slightly salty to add to the preservation. I have overdone the salt and it is horrid. As long as the meat has been lean I've never had a problem at any camping trip I've done, granted it usually doesn't last longer than about two weeks before it's eaten. Food safety probably would be less of a problem if you are using the jerky to make a stew and cooking it. I am not too keen on the idea of the sauce being dehydrated(sounds greasy), but if it gets eaten early in the trip it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I probably would dehydrate the veggie portion of the the sauce seperate from the meat portion and add them together when I rehydrate them, but that is just me. I tend to be a bit paranoid on making sure meat is carefully preserved-I'm not a fan of food poisoning.

I live in western Washington State which is grey and rainy most of the year and generally only gets to about 85 F in the summer. I have to seal my dehydrated food well to keep out the damp. I'm not sure what kind of weather you get other than it is midsummer for you right now. I have not taken my jerky in 100 F weather so I can't speak on that.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I made a dehydrated beef stew and a dehydrated beans and corn dish for a backpacking trip once. Both turned out fine - the beef didn't soak quite long enough and was a little chewy when we ate, but everyone enjoyed it and liked having a hot filling meal. I was little worried about food poisoning, but it never happened. I really dried the food well though. And I did the meat and veggies separate and added them together after they were dried.