Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yogurt in Primal Diet? page

westes is offline Senior Member

Yogurt in Primal Diet?

Primal Fuel
    I am confused by what role - if any - yogurt should play in a Primal diet. After searching this topic on Mark's site, I am even more confused than before I began reading.

I gather many yogurts are filled with sugar. My questions are:

1) What brands should we be buying?

2) What is the approximate nutritional composition of a yogurt that is healthy by Primal standards? The lowfat plain yogurt I buy at Trader Joes has this breakdown per serving:

Saturated fat: 2.5g
    Sugars 9g
    Protein 11g

3) I'm very suspect of getting my fat from a dairy source, but I guess there is no alternative for yogurt?

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    Look at the ingredients, if there is no added sugar then the sugars on the nutritional panel is from the naturally occurring lactose, eg the one I eat has 8.4g sugars per 100g, but no added sugars. Full fat is better, they've messed with it less...
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

One of my many frustrations with yogurt labels is that they never give a breakdown of the sugars by type. I never know how much of that sugar is the naturally occurring lactose and how much is added sucrose or - god forbid - high fructose corn syrup. That's all the more reason why I want advice on specific brands that others have researched in depth.

What is the theory regarding lactose in yogurt? Is the idea that the bacteria will digest the lactose and as a result the body will not digest it as sugar at all?

Quote Originally Posted by ljq309 View Post
    Look at the ingredients, if there is no added sugar then the sugars on the nutritional panel is from the naturally occurring lactose, eg the one I eat has 8.4g sugars per 100g, but no added sugars. Full fat is better, they've messed with it less...
    And if the lactose is going to be digested by the bacteria, then does it make any sense to use nonfat yogurt and try to get your fats from healthier sources than dairy?

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Yogurt is a big part of my Primal diet but I'll be damned if I can figure out why anyone would buy the stuff, it's SO easy to make. Organic cow or goat's milk, & and some starter from your last batch. No label-reading required.

Laksmi is offline Member
    My breakfast this morning: Full fat greek yogurt (Fage) plus 3 tbls. full fat coconut milk, 1/2 scoop Jay Robb protein powder, stevia and cinnamon to taste.
    Tied me over for a long time which is important, and it's a nice alternative to eggs.

evilsaywhat is offline Junior Member
    I wouldn't be opposed to a cup of full fat greek yogurt, some wild berries and chopped almonds as a snack...sounds delicious. I'm about to start eating primally going with two main meals per day and a couple of snacks. (While I've been preparing for the shift in lifestyle, I've found that meals high in fat but low in processed carbs make me feel full forever.)

Quote Originally Posted by Laksmi View Post
    My breakfast this morning: Full fat greek yogurt (Fage) plus 3 tbls. full fat coconut milk, 1/2 scoop Jay Robb protein powder, stevia and cinnamon to taste.
    Tied me over for a long time which is important, and it's a nice alternative to eggs.
    Why full fat instead of 2%?

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    Because naturally occurring fat in meat, milk, and nuts is good for you!

Read about it here:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fats/#axzz1gtipJRQv

Quote Originally Posted by Finnabair View Post
    Because naturally occurring fat in meat, milk, and nuts is good for you!

Read about it here:
    The Definitive Guide to Fats | Mark's Daily Apple
    Hi Finnabair. I'm totally with you about fat in nuts and meat (at least lean meats that are grass fed). But dairy I wonder about. Even Mark's blog on dairy here:

The Definitive Guide to Dairy | Mark's Daily Apple

contains the statement "Our bodies definitely recognize dairy as food, even foreign bovine dairy. But is it good nutrition?...I don’t know. I’m not sure anyone really does, in fact, which is why I place dairy firmly in Primal limbo."

To me that position has a lot of intellectual integrity, and he isn't trying to assert an opinion just because he can. If dairy fats are in limbo, is there a reason to maybe cut back on full fat yogurts? I understand dairy fat questions may be controversial. I'm just trying to understand the arguments in favor of dairy fat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast