Thread: 17 Year old with nutrition questions page

Gavin is offline Member

17 Year old with nutrition questions

Shop Now
    Hey guys, I had a few questions about what I should be doing.

1)Is it bad if I eat 3 things of fruit and dark chocolate every or most days? I track my food and I stay at or below 100g of carbs everyday.
    2)Is it bad if I eat alot of fat? I eat alot more than the program suggests and wanted to know if it bad to eat too much
    3)I'm under weight and was wondering if i should be eating right at or above 1g per pound of body weight of protein. Should it be less or more?
    4) Any negatives with not getting enough calcium, magnesium, and potassium?

Thanks for all the help!!

Nix
    Nix is offline Senior Member
    Hey Gavin! First its good to know what your goals are. What exactly are you trying to accomplish. You said you are under weight? So are you trying to build mass?

1) It's personal preference although, I wonder if your eating fruit and staying below 100g are you eating any veggies? How much chocolate? If you're not have negative effects to it, go for it. Might be easier to just tell us what you eat in a day.
    2) Everything within reason. How much is a lot? Are you eating like 90% fat? You need to be eating other stuff too. I would eat moderate fat and eat more in favor of protein and veggies.
    3) How much protein you eat depends on if you are trying to do. I'm 120lbs I eat about 60-80g of protein on a given day. I don't think I could eat 120gs. That's just too much for someone my size. I believe that its 1g of protein for every lb of lean muscle mass.
    4) You have to be a little more specific. Anything from feeling sleepy to weak bones, mood problems, muscle cramps. If you are worried about not getting enough or having too much go see your doctor. Do you take a multi vitamin?
    Height: 5'2"
    Starting weight: 180lbs
    Current weight 130lbs

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
    Hey guys, I had a few questions about what I should be doing.

1)Is it bad if I eat 3 things of fruit and dark chocolate every or most days? I track my food and I stay at or below 100g of carbs everyday.
    2)Is it bad if I eat alot of fat? I eat alot more than the program suggests and wanted to know if it bad to eat too much
    No and No.

3)I'm under weight and was wondering if i should be eating right at or above 1g per pound of body weight of protein. Should it be less or more?

4) Any negatives with not getting enough calcium, magnesium, and potassium?
    Avoid the foods that prevent the proper absorption of those minerals, i.e. foods high in phytic acid.
    Ron Rosedale – Healthy Bones | Me and My Diabetes

sapphire_chan is offline Senior Member
    1) Probably not wonderful for you, but as long as you're still having lots of veggies shouldn't be too horrible. It's when you budget all your carbs to lower nutrition food that you need to really watch out (are you reading this sapphirechan??)
    2) There is no upper limit on fat. In general carbs: 50-150 grams, protein: 0.1-1 g/ lb lean mass depending on activity level, fat: however much you need.
    3) Don't over do protein, it can screw up your kidneys. As people have said above, base it on your *lean* mass, don't feed your bones protein.
    4)If you're worried about your mineral intake, make some bone broth. Eating primal should be giving you adequate quantities of all the above, but it never hurts to give things a boost particularly with growing bones.

Finally, yes, cracklings are a perfectly valid breakfast =D