Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Ulcer, super high sugar diet! page

extravert is offline Junior Member

Possible Ulcer, super high sugar diet!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So a friend of mine, 61 yr old male has a diet that is laden with sugary drinks, (he depends on those stupid 5 hr energy drinks, and monster energy drinks etc). He adds sugar and various msg additives to his cooking etc; and he loves bready desserts. So he constantly complains about an acid stomach and he's been getting sick to his stomach constantly. Can anyone weigh in on whether going primal would be a good move? He refuses to get checked out and I'm pretty convinced that he must be at least pre-diabetic by now, Anyone, anyone? Ohh, btw, he's about 5'-5" and about 205lbs.

MvEssen is offline Senior Member
    Ofcourse going primal would be a good move. His weight would go down and his acid stomach would go away, etc. Try and convince him though...

extravert is offline Junior Member
    Tonight was the first night he was willing to consider that he needed a change in diet. He gave me permission to go buy him the book, but it wasn't available in the store I went to, I'll make sure to get my hands on a copy for him before the dust settles!

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    If you are worried about diabetes, get a cheap glucose monitor and test strips at Walgreens and check yourself before eating breakfast. If it is over 100 beware, over 120 oh-oh, 140 full blown diabetes.

Claraflo is offline Member
    At this point, going just about anything, except what he is would be a good idea. Its unlikely you will get such an individual to immediately put aside the sugar-lust and eat protein. He has probably destroyed all sense of taste by now and will find anythin ot sugar laden extremely bland. The best you could do is introduce him to vegetables.

Silky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by extravert View Post
    He gave me permission to go buy him the book,
    Oh wow -that's really generous of him /sarcasm

Seriously, whose life is it? Whose health is it? If he can't even be arsed to buy the book himeself - he sure won't read it, let alone actually act on it.

Personally I'd send him to the online information. I'd pick out some relevant articles from Mark's archive, pick out some of the great youtube videos and link him to the success stories that are similar to his current situation. I'd be supportive and encouraging.

But I would draw a very clear line about what his responsibility is and how much effort he has to put in. I know you are worried and you care and you don't want to see someone hurt worse. But by doing it all for him you make him feel more helpless and dependent, not resourceful. Wet his appetite with the good quality information you send, explain the diet to him in simple terms but if he wants to live he can buy his own damn book!

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I would think if he does one thing first it is to drop grains. Get him to read Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davs. Then phase out sugars, introduce veggies and drop seed oils.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by extravert View Post
    ... and I'm pretty convinced that he must be at least pre-diabetic by now

oxide is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky View Post
    Seriously, whose life is it? Whose health is it? If he can't even be arsed to buy the book himeself - he sure won't read it, let alone actually act on it.
    That was NOT very nice. There are a LOT of people who can't admit, or don't know, that they are doing unhealthy things to themselves, and need the help of friends.

That said, to be honest, I think that Primal Diet is too extreme for him at this point. He's far too sugar-based to go cold turkey on primal, and the PB book is such a giant leap that he could easily dismiss it as a fairy tale.

Grass-fed meat isn't going to do him much good if he can't keep it down. His problems are far more immediate. I would start by working within CW first, then work on going from CW to low-carb, only then go primal. Almost everybody knows that sugar is bad, so start there.

Try to wean him off the energy drinks.
    Wean him from full HFCS soda to diet soda. You may have to do this in stages.
    Wean him from diet soda to carbonated water with fruit juice in it.
    Then try to get him off the sugary baked goods.

Meanwhile, he needs to be checked for blood sugar (diabetes) and ulcer (H. Pylori). If he has H. Pylori and ulcer, he'll need antibiotics (sorry Mark! antibiotics have their place). If he's negative for H. Pylori, he should consider taking Prilosec just to make him feel better until he can heal his body.

Only then, wean him into Wheat Belly and Fathead.
    Only then will he be ready to even entertain PB.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Silky is offline Senior Member
    While I'm quite comfortable in being 'not nice', I didn't say don't help him (I offered some alternative suggestions for help).

What pushed my buttons (and yes I take responsibility for that) is that the OP described being given 'permission' to buy the book for him. It sounds like it is just easier for him to let the OP do everything so he doesn't have to take any effort or responsibility to solve his own stuff.
    Buying the book is just the start, reading it, understanding it, making changes not just one day but every single day is a huge commitment. It has to come from the person. You can't beg, plead, demand, force anyone to change. You can't do it for them. Grudging permission for the OP to spend his/her own money on something to help them is not a commitment to change.

To the OP - I'm sorry if I came off as harsh about your friend. However, there are some red flags in your post about your friend's level of commitment. You know him, I don't so if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. Oxide's suggestions about starting slowly are great. I wish you luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast