Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spaghetti squash bitterness? page

Grafvitnir is offline Member

Spaghetti squash bitterness?

Shop Now
    Hi!

I'd never seen spaghetti squash before until 3 days ago. So I got some, and follow instructions for cooking, i.e., cut in half, remove seeds, and cook cut side down in water for 20 minutes. Then take out strands with a fork.

I did that a few minutes ago, and tasted it before putting sauce on, but the taste is a little bit bitter. Is that how it is supposed to taste like? Almost all seeds were already sprouting so maybe it is an old squash or something

Thank you very much.

Rubén

Oopps, sorry... I wanted to post this in recipes not in nutrition. Feel free to move it to the correct place.

Rubén

awm8604 is offline Member
    It never has tasted bitter to me. Was it a small squash? 20 minutes seems too low. I bake it at 350 for 40-50 minutes.

Mmmhh... about the size of a football ball. Cooked it until no resistance was felt puncturing the skin side with a paring knife. It had a small sticker on the outside that said to cut it, remove seeds, put it cut side down in 2 inches of boiling water for 20 minutes. When I've cooked pumpkins, I too bake them in the oven for up to an hour.

I imagined it was not normal to be bitter.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I've cooked a lot of spaghetti squash. 20 minutes is not long enough. Spaghetti squash cooks from the inside out, so the outer strands next to the rind will be the last to soften. The rind is actually very thin: 3 millimeters or so. I don't know why you didn't feel resistance after only 20 minutes. When I cook it, the outer strands are still hard at that point.

Here's what I do: cut the spaghetti squash in half the long way, leaving the seeds in. Put some water in the bottom of the pan (only enough to keep the squash from burning), place seed side down, and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Flip over. At this point test it with a fork. The strands near the seeds will be soft but the outer strands should still be crunchy. Cook for another 20 minutes. Don't test the rind, test the strands next to the rind. There should be no crunch, and the strands should separate from the rind. If not, leave it in for another 10-15 minutes.

When the squash is cool, scrape out the seeds with a sharp spoon. Don't try to scrape out the strands. (If you have to scrape, you didn't cook it long enough.) Instead, use the spoon to wedge the outer strands away from the thin rind, and pull off the rind in pieces with your fingers, almost like a hard-boiled egg. You'll be left with a seedless, squash-shaped, hunk of yellow strands. The strands will almost fall apart. Slather with salt and butter.
    Last edited by oxide; 12-18-2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: wanted to respond to OP.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I've never tasted bitterness with spaghetti squash - it has a slightly sweet/nutty flavor (on my tongue, anyway). When I prepare it, I cut it lengthwise, put it face down on tin foil in the oven (no water), and cook it for about 40-60 minutes at 350-400 degrees. I can tell it's done when you touch the inside with a fork and the strands fall apart without any effort. I've never seen the seed sprouting on my squash, so I'd say the one you made probably was past its prime.

Ok, thank you. I'll try cooking it longer then. I'll report back when it is finished to see if bitterness goes away

Does the sprouting seeds affect this in any way? I mean, about 90% of the seeds are have sprouted inside. I looked like a can of worms when I cut it open

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Ditto the sprouting. I'm sorry Gravitnir, I think you got a rotten one. That would explain why you didn't feel any resistance!! The seeds should look exactly like pumpkin seeds.

Don't go back and cook the one you have... start with a new squash.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

That's what I thought...

It's been cooking for a while now and bitterness seem to be increasing.

When it was raw it was hard to cut with the knife, it felt almost as hard as a pumpkin. That's why I thought it was ready when there was no resistance.

I guess I'll try later with another squash... if I ever found another one. As I said, it's the first time I ever saw one of them. I hope they bring more next year.

Thank you all.

Rubén

cave-e8r is offline Member
    I just cooked my first one. I cut it in half, spooned out all the squash, and mixed it with chopped onion, garlic, tomato, black olives and basil. cooked it in EV olive oil in a skillet. I thought it turned out pretty damned good. next time I'll try to bake it in the oven, just for something different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast