Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: third week and my body is rejecting meat page

Katelyn is offline Junior Member

third week and my body is rejecting meat

Hello,

I am a 25 year old female and I'm nearing the third week of my primal lifestyle change. I've already lost over 15 pds and up until a few days ago I was doing great with no carb cravings and high energy. Then three days ago I woke up feeling nauseous and dizzy. The thought of eating meat, eggs, or fish turned my stomach and the only thing I craved were the bad foods like bread. Later that day, I almost passed out when I was waiting in line at the supermarket and I knew I was hypoglycemic so I ate a pear right away (my first piece of fruit in almost three weeks) and felt better. Since then, I've been eating 1-2 servings of fruit a day and the nausea has gone away and my energy is back but I still cannot eat meat. I will literally gag when I put a piece of steak in my mouth and I do not want fatty foods at all. I haven't really been eating much in the past three days, just some fruit, veggies, and nuts. Has this happened to anyone else? It's so bizarre.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Could you be pregnant?

Ahh, that is a scary thought but a definitive "No" lol

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest making some homemade bone stocks with lots of sea salt and drinking it. You may also need more magnesium. It can be hard to get adequate magnesium through diet alone.

It could be that you are not completely ketoadapted yet and just need more time. I go through phases where I am not hungry at all - I just wait it out. I also take a little zinc to make sure I'm not deficient. Zinc is found in high concentrations in oysters - and if you aren't getting enough zinc you can have loss of appetite.

15 lbs in 3 weeks is a lot of weight loss. Are you sure you are eating enough food?

s0meguy is offline Junior Member
    It happened several times in my life that I got disgusted by what I was eating a lot and had to drop it. I'd just ignore it for a while and later I could eat it again. I think it is your body telling you that you need to diversify your food intake more. Or maybe it's just that your body needs to adjust to your new eating habits, and it thinks it needs your old food. Nobody can know for certain I think.

Anyway, maybe this is frowned on in the primal community but I live and eat primally with one exception: I eat tons of fruit and don't count carbs. (don't consume any other carbs) And I still lost tons of weight and now I am very stable at what I think is my body's natural weight (80kg @ 1.93m tall, big build). I feel good and I feel good about my eating habits. So maybe you could try that instead (eat whatever amount of fruit you'd like), and slowly ease your body back into eating meat. I don't think that eating the natural carbs from fruit is unhealthy, even a lot.

Jammies, thanks for your tips! I haven't been taking any supplements but I will go buy a good quality multivitamin today. I was actually surprised at how much weight I lost but I attributed the first 10 lbs or so to water weight. I haven't been counting calories or anything but I eat until I am full. An example of what I eat during an average day is:

Breakfast - two hardboiled eggs (I discard one egg yolk and eat one), warm beef broth, and green tea
    Lunch - grilled beef lettuce wraps with kimchi and some veggies on the side
    Dinner - roasted veggies, grilled fish or meat

I'm 5'3 and my starting weight was 152 lbs and I'm at 136 lbs now. I've been feeling a bit better since incorporating fruit into my diet again but I still haven't regained my appetite. I've just been eating brussels sprouts, some berries, and pistachios for the past two days because I can't stomach anything else. I hope it passes!

thanks s0meguy,

I've been avoiding fruit entirely and I will definitely start having at least 1-2 servings a day from now on. I was initially so scared by everything I was reading about how fructose can derail the primal diet but my body clearly needs it.

s0meguy is offline Junior Member
    Glad to help. It does not make much sense to me to say that eating a lot of fruit when it is available isn't primal anyway, ie what our ancestors did. Your body may have been craving for some of the many very healthy components/benefits of fruit, which is why you craved carb containing foods including bread because your body can't tell the difference between bread and the healthy stuff.

I eat more servings of fruit myself because I love the taste of them. sometimes 3 a day, sometimes 5.

For me it's the awesome thing about the primal eating style: I eat whatever I want in whatever amount I feel like as long as its natural/unrefined, without worrying about gaining weight or being unhealthy otherwise. Which I did before a lot. Aside from the natural food rule I follow NO RULES at all. I think the body is perfectly capable of taking care of itself and telling you what best to eat if your system isn't screwed up by processed crap. It's a huge weight off my mind to not worry about food. So maybe that's a good mentality to take. Maybe I got a little carried off there but good luck.
    Last edited by s0meguy; 12-18-2011 at 01:45 PM.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    QUOTE=Katelyn;655491]thanks s0meguy,

I've been avoiding fruit entirely and I will definitely start having at least 1-2 servings a day from now on. I was initially so scared by everything I was reading about how fructose can derail the primal diet but my body clearly needs it.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by s0meguy View Post
    It happened several times in my life that I got disgusted by what I was eating a lot and had to drop it. I'd just ignore it for a while and later I could eat it again. I think it is your body telling you that you need to diversify your food intake more. Or maybe it's just that your body needs to adjust to your new eating habits, and it thinks it needs your old food. Nobody can know for certain I think.

Anyway, maybe this is frowned on in the primal community but I live and eat primally with one exception: I eat tons of fruit and don't count carbs. (don't consume any other carbs) And I still lost tons of weight and now I am very stable at what I think is my body's natural weight (80kg @ 1.93m tall, big build). I feel good and I feel good about my eating habits. So maybe you could try that instead (eat whatever amount of fruit you'd like), and slowly ease your body back into eating meat. I don't think that eating the natural carbs from fruit is unhealthy, even a lot.
    +1

Years ago (10+) I gave the Atkins diet a try, because several people I knew were doing it, and it seemed to be working for them. The first few days, I had dizzy spells that lasted only a minute or less, but were a little worrying in the moment. Same thing when I initially switched to eating Paleo (I wasn't eating fruit, though): some dizzy moments here and there that went away after incorporating some fruit into my diet. I'm not sure if I would have been okay regardless, but the fruit did seem to help. Unless you're morbidly obese, I personally don't think there's anything wrong with eating fruit (unless you are doing some short-term leptin reset program or something).

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had the same thing with eggs. I found myself repulsed by them and didn't even look at them for a year or so. Now, I have gone back to them and happily chow down a 6-egg omelette everyday. If you don't want to eat something, then don't force it. If you like fruit then eat it, providing it is seasonal and local.

I literally gag when drinking coconut milk, so I just don't eat it.

P.S- Having seen your food log in an above post, you are clearly not eating enough. Is there any fat in there apart from on the animal/eggs/fish? I would eat more, fruit if you feel like it, and more root veg, perhaps tubers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast