Thread: Injury workout advice page

Ransom is offline Senior Member

Injury workout advice

Primal Fuel
    I seem to have tweaked my back somehow. The past week I've had low back/hip pain and have also had to sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees due to midback pain. It started last week after a workout that involved 45 225# deadlifts which could have caused it.

This week I've started a new workout routine that involves heavier squats and deadlifts three times a week and have been able to do these workouts without too much pain but it's not entirely comfortable. I am still sleeping and experiencIing the same pain.

So the question is this: do I take a week off to recover or do I just do body weight stuff for a week. I'm reluctant to take the week off because I just started this new routine but at the same time - its my back. One wrong move and I could be on the floor and out for weeks. What do y'all think I should do? Thanks!
    Strength and Honor

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Definitely at least a few days off, probably a week. Then de-load a bit or do bodyweight for a while, because you'll probably feel pretty good after some time off, but you likely won't be 100% healed. I'm that kind of idiot, anyways, I guess I don't know about you.

Fiji is offline Senior Member
    I say don't mess around with back pain. It is better to rest for one week than being out of commission entirely for an entire year plus a lot of medical bills. If it is just a muscle issue, it should get better soon. Test it out for a few days and if it feels okay, resume the work outs. Since it is a week-old injury, I would suggest adding a heat pack for up to 15-20 mins as often as possible (with at least 20 minutes break) (if it were a very recent injury, I would ice instead). Do some light exercise in the meantime, like walking. If it still doesn't feel right after about a week or so, please go see an orthopedic doctor. If you do feel okay and start working out again, please make sure you warm-up and stretch really well both before and after your work out. I really hope it is something minor and that you get back to 100% soon. Believe me, I feel your pain. Last year I had minor pain in the lower back and ignored it and continued to push myself. Result? Minor back pain turned to full weeks in bed with added sciatica pain. A year later, I still deal with sciatica pain and it has taken over a year to have sufficient mobility to start working out again. Not worth it, believe me.

Also agree with jfreaksho about the heavy lifting- that is the worst thing you can do for a back injury. Take it easy until you are back to 100%.
    Last edited by Fiji; 12-18-2011 at 04:33 PM.

Oh yes, I would be remiss if I neglected to say that if you are indeed 100% and get back to your routine, work into it slowly and really really make sure you are exercising with proper form. Bad form will lead to all sorts of injuries.

Ransom is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the advice. My personality will make it really hard to take a week off but I agree that I should. One question - I'm down with walking this week for my exercise but what are your thoughts on still sprinting? For me that would be a stationary bike hill sprint as that's mostly legs. Thoughts?

Obviously, this week I'll be eating higher fat/lower carb as I'm not doing heavy lifting or any glycogen depleting workouts.

Not working out for at least a week.... I can do this! Thanks for all the help and advice!
    Strength and Honor

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Thanks for the advice. My personality will make it really hard to take a week off but I agree that I should. One question - I'm down with walking this week for my exercise but what are your thoughts on still sprinting? For me that would be a stationary bike hill sprint as that's mostly legs. Thoughts?

Obviously, this week I'll be eating higher fat/lower carb as I'm not doing heavy lifting or any glycogen depleting workouts.

Not working out for at least a week.... I can do this! Thanks for all the help and advice!
    Um . . . I'm really the last person on earth you want advice from in terms of exercise as I am a newly inducted couch potatoes anonymous member, but from a back pain perspective, when I was going through PT for the back they all highly recommended I exercise on the recumbent bike as it puts little pressure on the back. I guess you could try the regular stationary bike and stick with that if it doesn't bother your back then maybe move to the recumbent bike if you feel discomfort on the regular bike. Like jfreaksho said, however, I also have a tendency to feel fine while exercising and then really pay for it later when the back pain flares up post endorphin rush, so please be careful.

And please, please learn from my mistake and don't push the back when you are feeling pain, particularly with your lower back. It is better to be gentle on the exercise for one week or so than being out for a whole year!