Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doc wants to talk about getting my cholesterol down :-( page

Phkemp is offline Member

Doc wants to talk about getting my cholesterol down :-(

Shop Now
    Well, I'm feeling a bit flat today. I went primal in June, and dropped 35 pounds and loving it. Still a bit to go. I'm a "young" 51 :-) and 6-2, 205 lbs. Would like to see myself in the 190s.

Unfortunately, I don't have a baseline lipid panel from pre-primal, however got a physical recently, here are the key numbers:

Total Cholesterol: 287
    Triglycerides: 103
    HDL: 59
    Non-HDL: 228
    VLDL (calculated): 21
    LDL (Calculated): 207
    Total Cholesterol/HDL Ratio: 4.9

I got a call yesterday from the doc's office saying he needed to "come in" to discuss getting my cholesterol numbers down, and my low vit D levels. That it wasn't a huge concern yet but I need to "get it under control." Instead of making an appointment like they wanted (so I could go in and pay 125 self-insured dollars for him to tell me to eat more oatmeal and less eggs and meat, and take a vit D supplement), I asked them to print of a copy of the labs so I could study them first. When I picked up my copy, I was again strongly encouraged to make an appointment.

I have to admit, I was pretty disappointed. I have been quite faithful to primal nutrition, and with rare exception, eat NO grains, NO legumes, NO processed foods, NO sugars. Huge salads with olive oil, grass-fed beef (I bought half a grass fed cow), wild salmon, and chicken, and various veggies. Of course, bacon and DHA enhanced organic eggs a few times a week, too. That's it. Maybe on Thanksgiving I had one roll (yech) and some dressing, and a bit of creamed corn. Otherwise, I am primal all the way, and loving it. The lack of hunger, the ability to eat just two meals a day (so convenient). No pizza, no pasta, the occassional potato or yam. ONLY olive oil, no processed oils. NO fried food. Overall, I would put my primal nutrition compliance at 95% overall.

I also take 3 grams of fish oil per day.

Friends have all asked if I've had my cholesterol checked, I am known among them as "the caveman" who devours the chicken skin and carcass that they set aside. Well, now I've had it checked, I'm a bit freaked. I want to completely believe that these numbers don't matter as much as my doc will want me to think they do, but how does one get over the doubt? Obviously, a lot of reading here and other places is in order to understand all this in context. I ALWAYS look at the medical and pharma opinions with skepticism, but in this case...the nagging thought is: "What if I'm wrong?" Do I want my friends in 5 years to be saying, after my heart attack, "well, its no surprise the way he was eating all that fat with that caveman thing he was doing...."

As I get about 50% of my calories from fat, and am at around 2,000 cal per day average, that's about 110 grams of fat per day. If I were to lower that to 20 or 30 grams like the doc would surely tell me to do...that's 700 or 800 calories I'd need to replace with protein and carbs. Replacing those calories withh 200 grams of protein isn't realistic, unless I pound whey protein every three hours; and replacing with carbs defeats the whole purpose of eating primally...and would put me back in the "hungry every three hours" mode, which I don't miss AT ALL. But I have to admit I am now questioning myself on my fat intake, and wondering if I'm gambling with my health and longevity with all this.

Any thoughts and advice for best things to study would be appreciated. I know there's a lot of resources and I want to evaluate as many as I can. This has me quite worried, and I almost ran to the store today to buy a big can of oatmeal to start having in the mornings, and was tempted to have 5 egg whites and one whole egg, rather than my usual 4 whole eggs. And I ALMOST skipped the bacon.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    It's really hard to say since you don't know what they were before. Maybe it's an improvement, maybe you're still shuttling stuff out of your body and therefore it's a sign your body is healing... hard to say.

I'm hoping someone else has some insight since I'm definitely no expert.
    Last edited by RitaRose; 12-18-2011 at 10:13 AM.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Nady is offline Senior Member
    So~ you don't know what it was before~ and yet, you assume it's higher because you're eating meat instead of oatmeal? How do you know it hasn't dropped 100 points? I think you need 6 more weeks and then another test to see which direction things are going~ FWIW~ you're more likely to have elevated cholesterol from oatmeal than whole eggs~ for one thing, egg yokes contain lecithin~ the great emulsifier and they don't trigger an insulin spike that signals the liver to make more cholesterol!
    Last edited by Nady; 12-18-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I'd consider this test a baseline reading and get tested again in a month. You've got enough safety margin for that amount of time. Remember to eat plenty of mackerel and salmon to raise your HDL, and plenty of eggs and saturated fat, too!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately one data point is just not sufficient to make a decision. As stressful as it is, I would focus on getting my vitamin D levels normalized (to the upper end of normal using a good quality D3 NOT the D2 they may prescribe you) and continuing to eat primal for a few more months. Then have your labs re-tested. I have read on this forum that lipids can be artificially elevated while you are losing weight.

In the mean time, I would ask for a coronary artery calcium scan to see if you there is ongoing inflammation in your vessels and to have my thyroid levels checked.

Stevenhamley is offline Senior Member
    As others have said you don't know what you were pre-primal. Your triglycerides tell me that you're losing weight and have more weight to lose. The only thing I'll add is to wait until you stop losing fat before you get another blood test (rather than an arbitary period of 4-6 weeks).

If your doctor said your vitamin D is low, it's probably very low. Make sure you get the number so you can work with that.

As for dietary fat. Currently I'm going through the draft version of dietary guidelines for Australians. The research cited actually suggests that ALL dietary fat from whole foods is superior to carbs for improving blood lipids.

Phkemp is offline Member
    Agreed. I have no baseline to go by. Something I've been thinking about today though: With primal eating, and subsequent increase in cholesterol ingested, should it not be expected that cholesterol numbers will tend to increase...but we shouldn't be terribly concerned about it, as long as some of the ratios are OK? Do people go primal and see their numbers fall/improve? This is the only part of PB that I don't completely understand.

Re: Vitamin D, it showed up with a value of 26 ng/mL, with a "reference range" shown as 30-80. I recently had already started to supplement, so that should get straightened out.

js290 is offline Senior Member

peril is offline Senior Member
    It is very common to see cholesterol numbers increase on a primal/paleo diet. This can be due to a number of causes and has nothing to do with eating more cholesterol or fat. For example, going VLC can cause thyroid function to be downregulated, reducing the number of LDL receptors on cells leaving more LDL circulating in the blood. This isn't necessarily bad. So long as the LDL is pattern A you have nothing to worry about.

For now, you should just be monitoring trigs and HDL, focussing on lowering the former and raising the latter
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

sapphire_chan is offline Senior Member
    And make them actually count your LDL/VLDL next time, the calculations tend to skew high when there's a higher HDL level. (And I really wish I could remember where I read that so you could check out the source yourself.)

Anecdotes<>data, ymmv, and cholesterol numbers don't matter, but my own experience has been that replacing some carbs with more eggs (e.g. eggs instead of oatmeal for breakfast) significantly improved my cholesterol numbers even before I started on the primal path.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast