Thread: Xylitol? page

alovice is offline Junior Member

Xylitol?

Anybody know if this stuff is really better than sugar? i've been hearing that it's superior because of the lower insulin release, but things aren't always what they seem. Anybody know anything about this stuff? (besides what they post on the web)

MvEssen is offline Senior Member

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Marks articles on sugar alcohols (someone already posted a link) go into great detail on whats known today.

However, the sugar alcohols are all heavily processed manufactured foods, something to keep in mind.

Having said that, I still use them in cooking where honey isn't appropriate.

Vanessa120 is offline Senior Member
    I use xylitol, erythritol and stevia in place of sugar and have for years. I point others to Marks articles as well. There are different qualifies of the products, look for non-gmo varieties.

Linny is offline Senior Member
    I personally can't use xylitol. I'm prediabetic and follow my glucose closely. I notice when I brush my teeth with toothpaste that contains xylitol I get a glucose surge of 30+ points within 10 minutes and it would stay elevated for hours. That was just with brushing my teeth, I couldn't imagine eating it outright. I shudder to think that I use to eat sugar alcohols like they were going out of style years ago when I did Atkins.

huckie is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Interesting from what I've read it is supposed to have a GI of 0 and a GL of 7 which is pretty low, have you tried stevia or Erythritol Linny, I'd be interested in how they affect you?