Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coconut ketones can prevent or even reverse Alzheimer's page

ChivalryUK is offline Junior Member

Coconut ketones can prevent or even reverse Alzheimer's

Hi everyone. I've not posted before except to introduce myself but I saw this article posted on Facebook and thought it was definitely worth sharing. Apologies if this is common knowledge on these forums

Conquering Alzheimers with Coconut Ketones

The gist is that Alzheimer's involves the brain ceasing to be able to utilise glucose for energy, and so switching to a low carb diet and, particularly, introducing coconut oil as a supplement, can prevent and even reverse the disease. The whole article seems to strongly imply that ketones are a much preferable source of energy for the brain, and that a low carb diet is more brain-friendly.

I realise the source might be biased (judging from the website name...) and I haven't looked into any opposing information for all this, but thought this could at least spark some conversation

I wonder if being Primal is enough by itself to prevent Alzheimer's, as the small amount of carbs we get from veg might prevent ketosis?

Grizz is offline Banned
    Here is another similar article:
    Coconut Oil and Alzheimer?s Disease | Welcome to the Alliance for Natural Health - USA

There are plenty more reasons to eat coconut oil:
    Article 10612-Coconut Oil and Medium-Chain Triglicerides
    Nutrition Review - Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs)

We take CO in our coffee, tea and cook with it. I put MCT Oil in my salads.

The BEST Coconut Oil is Nutivia with free shipping from Amazon.Com/ We just ordered 4-52 ounce jars.
    Grizz

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I've heard that before too. One of the nutrition podcasts (I forget which one, but I think it was a couple of them anyway) had an interview with Mary Newport about her husband, Steve. She's mentioned in the Coconut Research Center article.

I can't say anything as to coconut oil being any kind of miracle cure, but even my highly CW mom knew Alzheimer's has now been nicknamed "Type 3 Diabetes" due to it's connection with blood sugar levels causing damage. And I believe coconut water was used during WWII in place of plasma since it mimics our blood quite well. So coconut oil being helpful isn't really that much of a stretch, though I would definitely use it in conjunction with avoiding the SAD crap in the first place.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I swear my husband used to act like he was getting Alzheimer's, but he's much better after a couple years of giving up wheat and eating lots and lots of coconut oil. (He's 53 now.) Which isn't to say that he no longer asks me questions about things I just told him, but now it's because he isn't paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    Which isn't to say that he no longer asks me questions about things I just told him, but now it's because he isn't paying attention.
    You'd have to remove the Y chromosome to fix that. Just sayin.

;^)

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I really enjoyed all the links on this topic. To use coconut oil or to not? I have recently been trying to figure this one out. I'm strict Paleo right now, and trying to keep my saturated fat under 15 grams (Swank/Best Bet Diet for MS) and in general trying to keep all my fats (omega 3/6, etc...) in balance. I've been really wanting to include some coconut oil, but I've been reticent due to the sat fat.

Does anyone know anyone with MS or other autoimmune diseases that have successfully incorportated coconut oil into their diets? I'd love to hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I really enjoyed all the links on this topic. To use coconut oil or to not? I have recently been trying to figure this one out. I'm strict Paleo right now, and trying to keep my saturated fat under 15 grams (Swank/Best Bet Diet for MS) and in general trying to keep all my fats (omega 3/6, etc...) in balance. I've been really wanting to include some coconut oil, but I've been reticent due to the sat fat.

Does anyone know anyone with MS or other autoimmune diseases that have successfully incorportated coconut oil into their diets? I'd love to hear about it.
    Saturated fat is not evil.

Alainneire is offline Senior Member

I have grave's disease. 2 months into eating clean (with LOTS of butter and coconut oil) i am off my meds- testing for remission. That is after 3 YEARS of not having a normal hormone level with meds.
    I think good fats are vital to curing/alleviating autoimmune issues. I don't have any scientific evidence, just my own body finally getting back to normal...
    my diet consists of approx 50-60% fat....

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    The BEST Coconut Oil is Nutivia with free shipping from Amazon.Com/ We just ordered 4-52 ounce jars.
    Grizz
    May I humbly suggest that Tropical Traditions is an ever better brand. They have regular specials where you can get their oil for a fantastic price

Welcome to Tropical Traditions

Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

Alainneire is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

also, you may want to check out this link....TEDxIowaCity - Dr. Terry Wahls - Minding Your Mitochondria - YouTube

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast