View Poll Results: Which best descibes you?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not very interested in scientific details. Anecdotes and basic reasoning are enough

0 0%
  • Moderately interested in health science

19 41.30%
  • Very interested in scientific research, is familar with the hard science

20 43.48%
  • Extremely detail-oriented, at the academic level or comparable

5 10.87%
  • Extremely detail-oriented, medical practicioner.

2 4.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MDA Scientific Literacy Census page

Stabby is offline Senior Member

MDA Scientific Literacy Census

Primal Fuel
    I think that it might be interesting to take a poll of the different degrees of scientific literacy on MDA forums, that is, how well acquainted everyone is with the science of health, whether it be modern literature, anthropology or otherwise. There are some very knowledgeable people here who are knee-deep in research in the science of health, and then there are some people who are just looking for a plan that works to improve their health in some way, and they don't care much for details, they have other things that they care more about. The poll will explain...

I separate medical practitioner and regular academic because of what I have learned from Dr. Kruse about a clinician's perspective. Doctors do hundreds of mini-experiments per year and learn much from that, whereas academics just have the literature to go by.

One important thing to note is that nobody thinks that any of these are better or worse than the others. If you just see all of the success around here and just do what others have, there's nothing wrong with that, different people have different values in their lives and not everyone has the time to delve deeply into the specifics.
    Last edited by Stabby; 12-17-2011 at 08:01 PM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm incredibly interested, but seriously, I have a difficult blue collar job, and at 47, I'm not going to go out and get my Master's in Chemistry. It's not that I'm dense, I just don't have the time. So I picked "Moderately interested in health science" only because I'm not "familar with the hard science"... yet.

I try to immerse myself and understand as much as possible. And every day it seems I catch a little more.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    This will be a great resource for later debates! You can just link back to this thread and say, "See, Knifegill is just an average yokel, don't listen to him. I voted myself as a level 5, so I have mastery! You must eat and exercise as I tell you."

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    This will be a great resource for later debates! You can just link back to this thread and say, "See, Knifegill is just an average yokel, don't listen to him. I voted myself as a level 5, so I have mastery! You must eat and exercise as I tell you."
    I don't have to listen to that point that you just made because you are only moderately interested in health science!

Though in all honesty, with health science anybody should be taken seriously because it's just so damn easy to be wrong, and new evidence emerges all the time. It's a bit of a headache, but at least we know enough to drastically improve health, even if we can't be perfect.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    That's frankly part of what keeps me from burying my nose too deep into any one theory. I might get so focused on the cholesterol debunking that I completely miss genetic contribution or latitude and vitamin D levels...I like to stay receptive and I know I'm easily given to pet theories.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    Would someone be able to recommend a good basic human biology book, bio chem book, and epigenetics book. Maybe first year university level. I would really love to read more and get a solid understanding.
    Life. Be in it.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Belforte View Post
    Would someone be able to recommend a good basic human biology book, bio chem book, and epigenetics book. Maybe first year university level. I would really love to read more and get a solid understanding.
    do you have a kindle or iPad with the kindle app? There are some of those books that can downloaded to it.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

DigitalSurgeon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I'm incredibly interested, but seriously, I have a difficult blue collar job, and at 47, I'm not going to go out and get my Master's in Chemistry. It's not that I'm dense, I just don't have the time. So I picked "Moderately interested in health science" only because I'm not "familar with the hard science"... yet.

I try to immerse myself and understand as much as possible. And every day it seems I catch a little more.
    you will get an internet masters in chemistry if you keep reading......and if you keep reading you will know more than most researchers and doctors because most of them read in one area of special research........the key is to read all areas of research and synthesize a 30000 ft view of what we see...........and then test hypothesis and direct treatments. You can become vital to your own health and biology if you open your mind to this mode of thinking. And I am going to teach those people how to do just that over the years here and on my blog. It will be how we reach a tipping point for primal healthcare.

dado Guest
    i'm moderately interested, but this is not my passion, it is not my professional field. i'll dabble in some fancy fancy, take some gist from it, and i will experiment a lot on my own body and see what works from there.
    Last edited by dado; 12-18-2011 at 07:23 AM.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Belforte View Post
    sites like ebookee.net offer many textbooks on many different topics, you might find some useful there, rather than purchasing a fat college text.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast