Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: nuttmegs17 journal page

JanSz is offline Senior Member

nuttmegs17 journal

Primal Fuel
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post654961

Originally Posted by DigitalSurgeon
    It hink it should be clear to everyone and her that she needs to see her doctor and have a talk with what they are doing for her.......its crystal clear to maybe everyone but her. I think Jan is trying to move her to action. I am hoping your warning puts an exclamation point to that thought.......but who knows what one will do when faced with a fork in the road.......it is for them to choose.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttmegs17 View Post
    I actually just came back from an appt with my doctor. i would never adjust my doses without first at least running it by him. I use these forums to educate myself so I know the right questions to ask when I'm in front of him.

I did not start taking thyroid hormones bc i was looking for an easy fix. i'm all about lifestyle modifications and have put that in practice in the last year willingly and gladly. I took the hormones bc i thought that was the only course of treatment. I did not know at the time about the relationship to other hormones as well as I do know. Even so, 6 plus MONTHS ago, while seeing this doctor, i asked to have hormone panels and cortisol levels checked and was blown off. Now I know better and have order the tests myself. I think I get scared sometimes bc it sounds like bc i already went down the path of thyroid meds I'm screwed. I understand that it is not ideal to be on thyroid meds as I hear that a lot...but would love to hear from Dr K and Janz what they would suggest i try to do as it's too late for me - i'm on them....what should i be pushing my doc to do instead, as it never seems clear: cycle completely off the meds, and start at square 1? monitor closely and pull back as the other things catch up? I'm not sure.

At today's appt, he wanted to add another 2.5 cyto to my current dosage, but he was more concerned about what was "pulling on the break" due to the antibodies. Bc of this forum, i was educated enough to talk about my concerns of low cortisol (I'm hypothizing that maybe 3 months of busy season stress actually pushed my cortisol to a more normal level and thats why my thyroid meds were working better up until a month ago...now that its slow, the thyroid break is pulling hard and i'm symptomatic again as I was PRE busy season). Once he realized I was worried about low cortisol instead of high cortisol and estrogen dominance etc he perked up. He told me to hold off on the dose increase in case that is the problem. He wants me to wait on the lab results to see what to do.

He wants to me pull back on my vit d as he thinks 98 is a bit high...would rather i be around 65 or so

I asked him what he would do if cortisol was a problem and he said "lifestyle/ nutrition advice plus predisone"

I have to go back to look, but I'm guessing thats not the best course? I told him I was curious about my DHEA so we'll see.

nuttmegs17 is offline Senior Member
    Height: 5.4
    Weight: I do not weigh myself. I wear a size 2, but am usually a 0. Since the start of all my problems, I have carried around an extra 10-20 pounds I cannot lose and which used to not be there.

History:
    2001 - Graves Disease. I gained weigh almost overnight (30+ pounds within a month) which would not come off no matter what I did. Went to the mayo cinic and they took me off the betablockers, birth control, antidepressants etc my other doc had me on. Almost did not work, doc insisted on having it removed and finally the methimozole kicked in and I got better so no surgery was needed

2003 - Graves Disease in remission - awesome. Felt normal and had fun for several years. Was told I would one day get hashi's most likely around pregancy so I didn't think about it further, figured I would worry about it when we were ready to start a family

2009 - Hypo Symptons appeared - I went from being an active person who would quickly lose weight if I even forgot to eat lunch for a few days, to someone who could not lose even a couple of pounds unless I ran relentlessly and watched every calorie. Inflammation starting happening (dresses would get tight on me in the middle of the day), started having a ton of bloating constipation issues (although constipation has always haunted me throughout my life)

2010 - January diagnosed with Hashi's. This was after several months of thyroid testing. Ever since I have had graves, I've had my thyroid levels checked once a year. I knew something was up. They were drawing labs regularly and telling me I was fine yet my symptons were getting worse. I finally reviewed my labs myself and saw a definite uptick in TSH . They ignored it bc it was in normal range yet clearly to me there was a correlation. I asked specifically for the antibodies test and it came back positive. I found a new doctor who put me on armour and cytomel (1.5 grains armour, 5 mcg cytomel)

2010 - March diagnosed with Gluten Intolerance - bummer but now eat paleo and feel much better for it. I'm a foodie and a great cook so it's been easy

Big Compaints:
    Inflammation (swelling in the lower ab, upper arms, chest and back),
    weight gain/stubborn loss,
    thryoid face (puffy swollen face typical of hypo thyroid),
    fatigue, - unable to to keep up with daily life and other things I used to do easily, "out of nowhere" days of not being able to get off the couch after several days of feeling ok
    Inconsistent bowel movements - mostly constipation (magnesium has helped )

1. Armour *(1 grain in the AM, 1/2 grain in the PM
    2. Cytomel *- 2.5 mcg in the AM, 2.5 mcg PM
    3. Natural Calm Magnesium - 700, has allowed me to go to the restroom regularly
    4. Ultimate Omega 3 Nordic Naturals- 1280mg
    5. Selenium - 200 mg
    6. Cinnamon 1 g
    7. Tumeric 1g
    8.Vitamin D 3 - 5k-10k iu
    9.Zinc - 30mg
    10. Copper 30mg
    *Ultimate goal would be to not be on these if at all possible. However, they have helped me at lot

Last labs

In august as I was starting to feel better, I had labs and these were the #s

FT4 1.3 RANGE: .8-1.8 ng/dL
    FT3 3.5 RANGE: 2.3-4.2 pg/mL
    Antibodies: 347 RANGE: lesss than 35
    Reverse T3 31 RANGE: 11-32
    T3 122 RANGE: 11-32

NOW - on the same dose these are the labs and now I'm getting symptomatic again

FT4 1.1 RANGE: .8-1.8 ng/dL
    FT3 3.5 RANGE: 2.3-4.2 pg/mL
    ]Antibodies: >1000 RANGE: lesss than 35
    Reverse T3 24 RANGE: 11-32
    T3 119 RANGE: 76-181

I am sending in the cortisol 4. point salivary panel this week as well as a female hormone panel. Will post results when I get them.

Note: Between August and Thanksgiving, I was working a busy stressful demanding job. I expected to feel horrible but just the opposite happened - a lot of the swelling inflammation and fatigue went away! When it slowed down again (Thanksgiving was a break) and has stayed low stress, my symptons have been returning. I'm interested to see the cortisol test bc I am wonder if I do not have enough cortisol to push the thyroid hormones to my cells...perhaps the reason why I felt better during the stressful time is bc it got my levels up to a normal level for once so I felt relief? i am just guessing though.

My last doc appt was yesterday. Based on the last labs he recommended a 2.5 cyto increase, but wants to wait until my hormone panel and salivary cortisol tests come back in case it is a cortisol issue
    Last edited by nuttmegs17; 12-18-2011 at 11:36 AM.

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    Wow! I hope the doctors are able to help lessen these symptoms soon...and I hope that paleo helps, too!
    Making adventure out of this thing called life

Got my first set of labs in. This was a hodge podge panel bundle from lapcorp "female hormone panel" that was on sale a bit ago

This was drawn on the 4th day of my cycle. Thank you for any input
    Attached Files Attached Files

RiverNeighbor is offline Senior Member
    nuttmegs17, are you still exercising a lot? Are you eating any dairy, grains, eggs, nuts, nightshades?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverNeighbor View Post
    nuttmegs17, are you still exercising a lot? Are you eating any dairy, grains, eggs, nuts, nightshades?
    No exercise is yoga/bar method (basically toning) and walking - been that way since sept (was biking a lot and doing cross fit the month prior and used to run)

i do not eat dairy legumes and avoid eggs nuts and nightshades I've been eating primally for about a year.

RiverNeighbor is offline Senior Member
    Your cortisol levels will probably give a major clue. When you did the cortisol test did you feel good (energy, no aches/pains) or bad (like achy, low energy).
    I've been reading a lot about the pituitary in my own journey. With your high DHEA and testosterone I would ask Dr. to order ACTH test to rule out pituitary problem. If you do this make sure the lab uses chilled tube for blood collection and follows correct procedures.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverNeighbor View Post
    Your cortisol levels will probably give a major clue. When you did the cortisol test did you feel good (energy, no aches/pains) or bad (like achy, low energy).
    I've been reading a lot about the pituitary in my own journey. With your high DHEA and testosterone I would ask Dr. to order ACTH test to rule out pituitary problem. If you do this make sure the lab uses chilled tube for blood collection and follows correct procedures.
    Thank you for looking.

I did it on a normal sunday. I was a bit tired (low energy) but its hard to attribute that to life in general or if its fatigue. I had a light walk and mostly tinkered around the house or went to the grocery store.

If the pituitary is a problem how do they fix? I'm wondering how to bring my testosterone down...i'm also assuming I should avoid supplementing with DHEA (as I know many people supplement with that). Very confusing. I noticed they didnt run progesterone but I believe it is included with my latest lab work.

I'll ask my doctor about the test that you mentioned. I typically go to lab corp...hopefully they will know the procedure but i will ask.

I suspect something with my cortisol and am guessing it's low. Also, I tend to "Crash" (crushing fatigue) if I overdo exercise which is why I stick to yoga/walking. I'd love to do HIIT once in a blue moon but it seems risky at the moment. I miss taking boxing etc. I'm trying to just stay active but in a gentle way.

Quote Originally Posted by nuttmegs17 View Post
    Thank you for looking.

I did it on a normal sunday. I was a bit tired (low energy) but its hard to attribute that to life in general or if its fatigue. I had a light walk and mostly tinkered around the house or went to the grocery store.

If the pituitary is a problem how do they fix? I'm wondering how to bring my testosterone down...i'm also assuming I should avoid supplementing with DHEA (as I know many people supplement with that). Very confusing. I noticed they didnt run progesterone but I believe it is included with my latest lab work.

I'll ask my doctor about the test that you mentioned. I typically go to lab corp...hopefully they will know the procedure but i will ask.

I suspect something with my cortisol and am guessing it's low. Also, I tend to "Crash" (crushing fatigue) if I overdo exercise which is why I stick to yoga/walking. I'd love to do HIIT once in a blue moon but it seems risky at the moment. I miss taking boxing etc. I'm trying to just stay active but in a gentle way.
    Now that you mention pituitary i'm intrigued. Could have sworn I read some articles (maybe that thyroid book by Dr, k) about thyroid problems sometimes being related to pituitary problems...hmmm

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks, me too Paleo has helped tremendously but I'm not quite there yet....I shudder to think how bad I would feel at this point if I had continued eating "CW" healthy asI had been all my life.

Too bad I did not know I was allergic to gluten...most likely set off my hashis....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast