Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: nuttmegs17 journal page 5

nuttmegs17 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    From Digital Surgeon:

The Hashimoto's thing......it makes up 95% of all hypothyroid human cases today and it treated by medicine with CW. Most who have it have leaky guts and low levels of intracellular glutathione. Glutathione is a very important antioxidant that plays an important role in maintaining the correct oxidation-reduction potential inside cells. It scavenges oxidising free radicals, detoxifies heavy metals, pesticides, tylenol and leukotrienes. It stores and transports amino acids, regulates the cell cycle, protein synthesis and gene expression, and protects thyroid cells from self-generated hydrogen peroxide. Glutathione is quite important for patients with Hashimoto's. Glutathione protects the body in an extraordinary number of ways, but the fact that it protects the thyroid against hydrogen peroxide is particularly significant for the thyroid. In untreated Hashimoto's, the body's levels of T4 (thyroxine) begin to fall, and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) levels generally start to climb. In order to stimulate the thyroid to make more T4, the TSH activates the thyroid cells to make hydrogen peroxide. If the TSH levels remain high, the thyroid cells continue to produce more and more hydrogen peroxide, and this can lead to increased inflammation, scarring, and ultimately the destruction of thyroid cells. If the hydrogen peroxide manages to gain entry to the cell, the damage becomes far worse.

Hydrogen peroxide is thought to play a significant role in the development and progression of Hashimoto's disease, despite the fact that the thyroid gland actually requires hydrogen peroxide for thyroid hormone formation. Hydrogen peroxide is normally produced during the oxidation of the iodine ions. It is an essential part of the thyroid function. But the critical factor is the protection of the thyroid cells (glutathione level), and the place in which the iodine ions are oxidized. If oxidation occurs inside the cells, the hydrogen peroxide is produced inside the cells, and the cells sustain damage.

A study found that if hydrogen peroxide is allowed to enter thyroid cells, it attacks and cleaves thyroglobulin (protein within the thyroid), producing fragments that are able to diffuse into other cells and these fragments were recognized by autoantibodies taken from people with Hashimoto's disease. This suggests that hydrogen peroxide entry into thyroid cells may actually be the cause of Hashimoto's disease!!!! SO if you have Hashimoto's your glutathione levels maybe a proxy of how bad your disease really is. It can be a measure of really how leaky your gut is too.

The predominant infiltrating cells in autoimmune diseases such as Hashimoto's thyroiditis are phagocytic macrophages, neutrophils and various T-cells; the macrophages and neutrophils damage the tissues by releasing inflammatory cytokines and proteins, including hydrogen peroxide making things worse because this further depletes glutathione inside the cells. This is complicated by co-morbid B12 and folate deficiencies in the diet because of the leaky gut. Glutathione requires both to be on hand to work well!

The body's stores of glutathione can become depleted through any stressor. For example, alcoholism, HIV infection, cirrhosis, diabetes, surgical trauma, fasting, environmental toxins, overuse of acetaminophen, chronic stress, inadequate diet, elevated adrenaline release, extensive strenuous exercise, or infection. It is also associated with cigarette smoking, as smoking increases the rate at which the body uses glutathione.

Glutathione is not easily absorbed through oral supplementation, but is synthesized in the body from amino acids, and body levels can be increased through oral administration of glutathione precursors such as N-acetylcysteine (NAC), S-adenosyl-L-methionine (SAMe) and L-gluatmine. Getting it into cells is even tougher and requires IV infusions using lipid soluble mediums. For serious autoimmune diseases it is often a great treatment. Oral administration of NAC of doses up to 8,000 mg/day was not found to cause clinically significant adverse reactions, although doses of 600mg/day were enough to significantly improve symptoms of chronic lung disease like COPD. I have used over 3000 mgs a day when my HS-CRP was around 3.0. When I have falls in Vitamin D levels I also reach for NAC or sometimes WHEY protein. Whey also breaks down into glutathione and reduces inflammation. This is why Whey use can augment weight loss in people with high CRP's

Intake of NAC does increase zinc loss through urine, so zinc supplementation would be advisable for anyone supplementing NAC over an extended period. This can deplete your sex steroid hormones if you do not eat a lot of foods with zinc. Me personally when I take a ton I always make my oysters rockerfeller recipe.

Glutathione can also be up-regulated by vitamins C and E, and alpha lipoic acid, PQQ, spinach, offal, yeast extract, and broccoli. N-acetylcysteine is considered to be the most effective, fastest route to raising levels of glutathione. It also increases levels of glutathione only when there is an actual need, and it seems to concentrate only in tissues where glutathione is required. This need corresponds to high MMP9 levels in cells.

The fact that NAC is able to restore glutathione levels and thereby protect the thyroid is particularly interesting given its ability to crack open bacteria such as chlamydia pneumonia, which hide inside the body's own cells during one part of their life cycle, using the host cell's machinery to replicate. Chlamydia pneumoniae has been implicated in autoimmune diseases such as multiple sclerosis, and N-acetylcysteine is considered an important part of treatment. I do not consider these diseases as part of AI's. I consider finding titers of these in patients to be patho-mneumonic that glutathione levels are very very low in these people.

From Mama Grok:
    Those with die-off, try detox baths. I don't really know how they work, but they have for us. Add 1-2C of real sea salt or epsom salts or ACV or baking soda to a good hot bath and soak 20-30m. Somehow it helpls ease die-off symptoms, probably through opening pores to help eliminate through that path or something. I try not to make the bath super hot, or the chlorine evaporation gets too strong and gives me a headache, probably countering any benefit I'm getting! That's rare, though, and I'm more sensitive to chlorine evaporation in hot water than anyone else I know.

Latest hormone panel in drawn on day 2 of cycle janz's comments in red

Testosterone Serum 23 (8-48) rather low
    Pregnolone, MS 54 very low
    DHEA-Sulfate 290.5 (98.8 - 340.0) low
    Estradiol 110.0- low
    Progesterone .6--------very low, but--------------when was blood drawn
    Insulin 8.0 (2.6 - 24.9) high

cd-57 panel

Ranges in parenthesis
    CD8-/CD 57+ Lymphs 4.0 (2.0 -17.0)
    Abs CD8-CD57 120 (60-360)

WBC 8.8 (4.0-10.5)
    RBC 4.59 (3.8 - 5.10)
    Hemoglobin 14.0 (11.5-15.5)
    Hematocrit 43.4 (34.0- 44.0)
    MCV 95 (80-98)
    MCH 30.5 (27 - 34)
    MCHC 32.3 (32 - 36)
    RDW 13.2 (11.7 - 15.0)
    Platelets 238 ( 140 - 415)
    Neutrophils 58 (40-74)
    Lymphs 34 (14-46)
    Monocytes 5 (4-13)
    Eos 2 (0-7)

Nothing jumps out at me...so hoping I'm ok on the Lyme front?

From Digital Surgeon:

The Hashimoto's thing......it makes up 95% of all hypothyroid human cases today and it treated by medicine with CW. Most who have it have leaky guts and low levels of intracellular glutathione. Glutathione is a very important antioxidant that plays an important role in maintaining the correct oxidation-reduction potential inside cells. It scavenges oxidising free radicals, detoxifies heavy metals, pesticides, tylenol and leukotrienes. It stores and transports amino acids, regulates the cell cycle, protein synthesis and gene expression, and protects thyroid cells from self-generated hydrogen peroxide. Glutathione is quite important for patients with Hashimoto's. Glutathione protects the body in an extraordinary number of ways, but the fact that it protects the thyroid against hydrogen peroxide is particularly significant for the thyroid. In untreated Hashimoto's, the body's levels of T4 (thyroxine) begin to fall, and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) levels generally start to climb. In order to stimulate the thyroid to make more T4, the TSH activates the thyroid cells to make hydrogen peroxide. If the TSH levels remain high, the thyroid cells continue to produce more and more hydrogen peroxide, and this can lead to increased inflammation, scarring, and ultimately the destruction of thyroid cells. If the hydrogen peroxide manages to gain entry to the cell, the damage becomes far worse.

Hydrogen peroxide is thought to play a significant role in the development and progression of Hashimoto's disease, despite the fact that the thyroid gland actually requires hydrogen peroxide for thyroid hormone formation. Hydrogen peroxide is normally produced during the oxidation of the iodine ions. It is an essential part of the thyroid function. But the critical factor is the protection of the thyroid cells (glutathione level), and the place in which the iodine ions are oxidized. If oxidation occurs inside the cells, the hydrogen peroxide is produced inside the cells, and the cells sustain damage.

A study found that if hydrogen peroxide is allowed to enter thyroid cells, it attacks and cleaves thyroglobulin (protein within the thyroid), producing fragments that are able to diffuse into other cells – and these fragments were recognized by autoantibodies taken from people with Hashimoto's disease. This suggests that hydrogen peroxide entry into thyroid cells may actually be the cause of Hashimoto's disease!!!! SO if you have Hashimoto's your glutathione levels maybe a proxy of how bad your disease really is. It can be a measure of really how leaky your gut is too.

The predominant infiltrating cells in autoimmune diseases such as Hashimoto's thyroiditis are phagocytic macrophages, neutrophils and various T-cells; the macrophages and neutrophils damage the tissues by releasing inflammatory cytokines and proteins, including hydrogen peroxide making things worse because this further depletes glutathione inside the cells. This is complicated by co-morbid B12 and folate deficiencies in the diet because of the leaky gut. Glutathione requires both to be on hand to work well!

The body's stores of glutathione can become depleted through any stressor. For example, alcoholism, HIV infection, cirrhosis, diabetes, surgical trauma, fasting, environmental toxins, overuse of acetaminophen, chronic stress, inadequate diet, elevated adrenaline release, extensive strenuous exercise, or infection. It is also associated with cigarette smoking, as smoking increases the rate at which the body uses glutathione.

Glutathione is not easily absorbed through oral supplementation, but is synthesized in the body from amino acids, and body levels can be increased through oral administration of glutathione precursors such as N-acetylcysteine (NAC), S-adenosyl-L-methionine (SAMe) and L-gluatmine. Getting it into cells is even tougher and requires IV infusions using lipid soluble mediums. For serious autoimmune diseases it is often a great treatment. Oral administration of NAC of doses up to 8,000 mg/day was not found to cause clinically significant adverse reactions, although doses of 600mg/day were enough to significantly improve symptoms of chronic lung disease like COPD. I have used over 3000 mgs a day when my HS-CRP was around 3.0. When I have falls in Vitamin D levels I also reach for NAC or sometimes WHEY protein. Whey also breaks down into glutathione and reduces inflammation. This is why Whey use can augment weight loss in people with high CRP's

Intake of NAC does increase zinc loss through urine, so zinc supplementation would be advisable for anyone supplementing NAC over an extended period. This can deplete your sex steroid hormones if you do not eat a lot of foods with zinc. Me personally when I take a ton I always make my oysters rockerfeller recipe.

Glutathione can also be up-regulated by vitamins C and E, and alpha lipoic acid, PQQ, spinach, offal, yeast extract, and broccoli. N-acetylcysteine is considered to be the most effective, fastest route to raising levels of glutathione. It also increases levels of glutathione only when there is an actual need, and it seems to concentrate only in tissues where glutathione is required. This need corresponds to high MMP9 levels in cells.

The fact that NAC is able to restore glutathione levels and thereby protect the thyroid is particularly interesting given its ability to crack open bacteria such as chlamydia pneumonia, which hide inside the body's own cells during one part of their life cycle, using the host cell's machinery to replicate. Chlamydia pneumoniae has been implicated in autoimmune diseases such as multiple sclerosis, and N-acetylcysteine is considered an important part of treatment. I do not consider these diseases as part of AI's. I consider finding titers of these in patients to be patho-mneumonic that glutathione levels are very very low in these people.

test

Speaking of the biotoxin stuff..

Just wondering - why would I be almost sympton free from Aug/sept - through Nov? Ok, wasn't entirely sympton free but my inflammation was most def going down

I was busy - not even eating as cleanly as I am now - and I felt like I was on the mend. Cortisol? Doees cortisol help fight biotoxins? Just trying to figure out the connection. I am hypothesising that perhaps the high stress environment pushed cortisol and also my thyroid meds...

I know that during the summer I was obviously getting a lot more light - perhaps it kicked in towards the end of summer?...i then started developing symptonsagain/relapsing around thanksgiving - almost to the day the sun disapeared (almost..more like that same week)

obviously havent had much progress since....

From Digital Surgeon
    cold environments leach out more toxins because of the interaction with our endogenous hormones. Lyme usually gets worse in the fall and winter months. If you HLA DR is screwed it really gets worse. If you do not have any HLD DR issues the cold will make you sicker but allow you to clear the toxin faster in colder months assuming your immune system is good. It also is a great time to use CSM to help bind the toxins too because they are liberated more frequently at this time of the year.

Originally Posted by DigitalSurgeon
    spoke with my ID people today and they say they only used Antibiotics now for the lyme.....2-3 weeks for proven borrelia or bebesia and 4 weeks with Rocephin added for CNS manifestations. They use PCR for people who fail original therapy. They say there is no need for CSM or Actos.

Testosterone Serume 23
    Free Testosterone (Direct) <0.2
    Pregnolone, MS 54
    DHEAS 290.5
    Estradiol 111
    Porgesterone .6

Thoughts? Drawn on days 2 of my cycle.

I believe they are low accross the board, but how are the ratios? ie, estrogen to progesterone? I am waiting on the Dhuzgan peeps (we keep paying phone tag) but know that they also supplement DHEA etc in addition to bio-identicals. I'm curious what the course of treatment would be...do I only need progesterone? Do I not really need progesterone? Is this estrogen dominance? I have no clue. Would love feedback. Thanks!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have to do a Methylation Pathway panel for Chris Kressor...its tests

glutathione (oxidized)
    glutathione (reduced)
    S-adenosyl-methionine (RBC)
    Tetrahydrofolate (THF)
    5-methyl-THF
    10-FORMYL-THF
    5-formyl-THF
    folic acid
    folinic acid