Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12 weeks in. Results thus far! page 2

SPD
    SPD is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Nice, you went from Seth Rogen to James Franco (circa Annapolis). Keep up the good work!

BamaAla is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaAla View Post
    10-15-11:

Height: 72.5 inches
    Weight: 96.1 kg (211 lbs)

Lean weight: 59.513 kg
    Tissue % lean: 62%

Fat weight: 33.474 kg
    Tissue % fat: 36%

Android % fat: 46.5
    Gynoid % fat: 37.7

Legs % fat: 32.6
    Trunk % fat: 42.6

BMI: 28.6 kg/m2

12-17-11:

Weight: 85.4 kg (188.2 lbs) -23lbs

Lean weight: 57.28 kg (-2.7)
    Tissue % lean: 67.1 (+5.1)

Fat weight: 25.011 kg (-8)
    Tissue % fat: 30% (-6)

Android % fat: 35.5 (-10)
    Gynoid % fat: 31.8 (-6)

Legs % fat: 28.7 (-4)
    Trunk % fat: 34.5 (-8)

BMI: 25.1 (-3.5)

3-23-12

Weight: 79.5 kg (175.2 lbs) -13 lbs

Lean weight: 56 kg (-1)
    Tissue % lean: 70.3 (+3.2)

Fat weight: 20.6 kg (-5)
    Tissue % fat: 26.9 (-3.1)

Android % fat: 30.4 (-5.1)
    Gynoid % fat: 29.5 (-2.3)

Legs % fat: 24.8 (-3.9)
    Trunk % fat: 29.3 (-5.2)

BMI: 23.4 (-1.7)

I went back in for a body composition test via dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry just a day shy of 14 weeks since my last update. As you can see, I've managed to drop my body fat percentage which is my overall goal, but the rate at which I am losing has slowed quite a bit.

My last test showed what I thought was a significant drop in lean body mass, so I stepped up my resistance training in that period. This time I did drop some lean body mass, but it was less glaring. Any thoughts about this?

I started primal (about 85% - still use some dairy, probably too many nuts, not enough grass fed beef, not enough fish) in late September at approximately 6 feet and 226 lbs. Now, I'm at 6 feet and 175 lbs. I've been forced to buy all new clothes and will have to replace my summer clothes soon as we have been in the mid 80s for the past 2 weeks! Suffice it to say I'm pretty happy with my results thus far!

My goals going forward are to just keep plugging along. I would like to increase the grass fed meat and reduce the conventional meat, decrease my nut intake, increase my fresh locally grown veggies, and increase my fish intake. I'd like to eventually get down in the low teens for body fat%, but that could be a ways out.

I'd like to thank you all for the help. Even though I don't post a lot, I do read and glean wisdom from you all!

Any comments or suggestions are very welcome especially thoughts on the loss of lean body mass.
    Last edited by BamaAla; 03-29-2012 at 01:48 AM.

PaythePiper is offline Junior Member
    good effort- got similar stats to urself. looking to get down to 165lbs - hit 176 from peak of 224.

when my pals and family ask me what i'm aiming for i just tell them i wanna look like lil wayne

BamaAla is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaythePiper View Post
    good effort- got similar stats to urself. looking to get down to 165lbs - hit 176 from peak of 224.

when my pals and family ask me what i'm aiming for i just tell them i wanna look like lil wayne
    Admirable goal sir. Congratulations on your progress; it looks like you're on the home stretch!

Last bump before my next body composition test (probably late June.) Anyone have any thoughts as to my loss of lean body mass? Is it normal to lose so much when dropping 50 pounds? Should I up the intensity of my workouts? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaAla View Post
    Admirable goal sir. Congratulations on your progress; it looks like you're on the home stretch!

Last bump before my next body composition test (probably late June.) Anyone have any thoughts as to my loss of lean body mass? Is it normal to lose so much when dropping 50 pounds? Should I up the intensity of my workouts? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Yes it is normal when dropping a lot of weight relatively quick. You simply can't lose that much without some of it being lean mass. I have found that eating paleo/primal has helped me to retain more muscle than any CW ever has. I am currently weighing around 208 and have never been so lean at anywhere near this weight. In the past I'd be around 185-190 at this BF%. That is pretty significant. I think that the higher fat and higher quality protein such as grass fed is a big factor. I think it sets up a much better hormonal environment than a low carb, low fat, high (lower quality) protein diet does. Muscle simply cannot be at its optimum if certain hormones are depleted. This way of eating supports a lean muscular body. I don't know what your weight training program looks like so it would be hard to give you advice in that area.

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    Nice work man! So, I take it you're in Alabama? Where are you getting your grassfed beef from? I'm in Birmingham and I've been trying to find a place other than Whole Foods and online!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12