Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rendering Fat page 2

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by pjgh View Post
    You're absolutely right, Knifegill ... point taken. I know the risks, and when I can do things properly I will ... I do.
    NorthernMonkeyGirl - what exactly are you going to do with 30 kg of the stuff? Bath in it? What you render from that should last the year!
    If you mix that with 30kg of dehydrated beef you have enough pemmican to last you the initial onslaught of the zombie apocalypse.
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Alainneire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Right on. But you could also use stainless steel for now to reduce your exposure to nerve gas. Just sayin'.
    Is ceramic evil too???

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    I have 30kg to render this afternoon....
    Did that a couple of weeks ago, "trimmings" off my hogs. Used a large (60 liter) pot that I normally use for mashing grains (for whiskey) and a high output propane burner that usually fries turkeys or sits under one of my stills.

Patience is a virtue with quantities of this size. Took about 14 hours, all told. Netted out a year's supply of "butter", so well worth the effort.
    Last edited by DeeDub; 12-17-2011 at 10:18 PM.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reeferjon View Post
    Electric slow cooker for a few hours..... perfect :-)
    This is how I do mine too. I put about 3 kg of fat through an electric mincer (grinder), straight into a slow cooker, then switch it on for about 3 hours. Lovely! It is so easy, and something I can do every five or six weeks.

Northern Monkey Girl, are you rendering all of that in one go, or freezing the bulk of it in 3 Kg bags??!!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Haha, I think I've got my system sorted after a few hours yesterday. The small cast iron casserole isn't worth trying (heat wan't right); the large stock pot takes the non-back-fat okay in huge chunks; leaving the cubed back fat in the (small!) slow cooker that I was meaning to throw out.
    I need sharper knives.
    I did manage to sort into back fat, non-back fat, and scraps for the dog; it's sat in the porch while awaiting processing.

I'm also looking up soap recipes and scrabbling around for jars and tubs!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12