Thread: Starting Strength while Primal page

Bryan Lloyd is offline Junior Member

Starting Strength while Primal

Shop Now
    Hello,
    I have been all over the web today looking for input and would like to see if I could get some advice from you primal experts here at Mark's Daily Apple. I have been Primal for two months and am starting to feel great. I have been an avid Crossfitter for three years and while I plan on going back, I need a break. I have been eyeing Starting Strength for some time and have decided to switch to a low volume style of training for a while and see what happens. Here is my issue, I want to enjoy the strength gains I know are possible on this program but I don't want to switch my eating style to where I eat everything in site and get 70's big. I am a firefighter and want to stay somewhat lean so I can maintain my work pace on calls. My question is this. How do I modify the primal way of eating so as to fuel my body enough. I have been using Fit Day just to get an idea where I am right now. I am eating about 2,000 calories a day. I follow Marks advice and listen to my body and eat when hungry. I plan on trying to up my caloric intake to 3,000-3,500 daily while still eating natural foods. Are there a lot of sweet potatoes in my future or is this program unrealistic for me right now. By the way I am 6ft 190lbs 10%BF. Thanks in advance for the help.

wesrman is offline Member
    If you dont want to get big why are you adding 1000/1500cals to your diet? Increasing cals will make you gain weight. If 2000cals was enough for crossfit im sure it will be enough to fuel you for SS. Unless ofcourse, you are trying to gain weight.
    Character is both developed and revealed by tests, and all of life is a test.
    -Rick Warren

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I should have been more specific. I was really wondering if 2000 to 2500 calories is enough to get the strength gains of the program without getting to much bigger. PreCrossfit I was about 225 and eating for size and strength. Never counted calories. I am lucky that I can put on size fairly quickly. 5 or 10 lbs is ok. I just don't care about size only. Maybe CF Football is a viable option as well. Thanks again

wesrman is offline Member
    2000 cals seems pretty low to me for someone your size to maintain, 2500-3000 sounds better and it will probably take more to gain. But I would imagine that you'll be burning less cals on starting strength than you were at crossfit (depending on how often u went to crossfit and what kinds of cardio you'll be doingh now). So you could start off by eating in that range, see how you're progressing, and adjust as you go. Or you could use the link below to try to be more precise.

(you'll have to scroll down)
    Nutrition

A lot of it will be based on your activity level, metabolism, and how you're progressing. Good luck with it.
    Character is both developed and revealed by tests, and all of life is a test.
    -Rick Warren

Thanks for the link

Thanks for the link. Appreciate the help.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    How many calories you burn on SS depends on adherence more than anything. Stay through the whole program, and you'll be burning calories like crazy.