Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dairy in Primal Weight loss page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Dairy in Primal Weight loss

Primal Fuel
    I'm successfully losing weight on Primal Blueprint. I have read Mark's book and have tried to gather as much information as I can. What place dairy does or doesn't have in my eating program still escapes me. I've read Mark's blogs as well as a great number of comments regarding dairy in all it's forms. I don't drink milk just because I don't like it. Cheese and butter I use a lot. I try to remember that the Primal lifestyle is populated by both people that want to lose weight and people that are satisfied with their weight and are striving for good health. I'm not lactose intolerant or bothered by dairy in any way. Is the use of dairy slowing my weight loss down I've lost 60 lbs since around the first of February of this year. That's sort of slow but I'm still mostly in a wheelchair recovering from a broken thigh bone. I'm walking some now and trying to exercise. All that I've read in th blogs and posts seems to indicate that dairy affects certain health conditions. I need a clear answer. Also it would be helpful to have a thread directed at people trying to drop weight primally.

dado Guest
    it's technically not primal because grok didn't have cheese or milk, because to have these things your animals, they must be domestic, but if you are able to handle it, if your soul and your body can handle it, then this is not so bad.

i am one person that can eat the cheese without problem, but milk makes me snore.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    If it's not broken, don't fix it.

If you hit a plateau, you could experiment with reducing dairy and see if it helps.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post

If you hit a plateau, you could experiment with reducing dairy and see if it helps.
    Exactly. I've hit plateaus throughout this time and they lasted, at the most, about 3 weeks. I try to keep weight loss going using Intermittent Fasting. I just wanted to be sure that the cautions about dairy are because some people can't handle it healthwise, like lactose intolerance, not because it would cause an insulin spike or, in some other way, negatively influence my weight loss.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    This is why I like the archevore.com explanation. It's not about a paleolithic reenactment fantasy, it's more an avoidance of the neolithic agents of disease. His 12-step program puts the whole dairy issue dead last, number 12:
    12. If you are allergic to milk protein or concerned about theoretical risks of casein, you can stick to butter and avoid milk, cream and soft cheeses. Aged cheeses 6 months and older may not have beta-casomorphin and are good sources of K2.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    But even aged, sharp cheese clogged up my nose and caused me to stop losing weight. You don't need cow boob juice. Grow up and eat real food.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Dairy bloats me and makes me feel sick, and I think its hindered my weight loss.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I hit an epic 4.5 week plateu (epic as it was the longest stall on the highest weight I've ever had), but cutting dairy and reducing fructose from fruit got me through, I had results within days. Dairy never affected me as such, but I see now that I quit that it must have: bloating gone, seasonal allergies gone, KP on my arms drying up. All within less than a full week.

I still eat ghee and plan on having a very occasional piece of goats cheese once in a while after I've done 30 days without dairy.

Fiji is offline Senior Member
    I think it really depends on each person and whether your body can handle it. In my case, I thought I did not have a problem with dairy until I started PB five weeks ago and quit dairy for 30 days. Then this week I started having yogurt again for breakfast as I got busy and didn't have time to cook. Not having had dairy for 30 days previously, I instantly blew up and got really bloated all over including stomach and thighs. Even my arms got pudgier from the water retention and I find myself constantly having to blow my nose from the mucus. I am definitely cutting out dairy for good after this experience.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post

This.

Just keep grokking on if it does not bother you the least bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast