Thread: Primal questions page

ewrutledge is offline Junior Member

Shop Now
    Hi all,

I posted something a couple weeks ago here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...3...-exhausted

I'm still eating primally. It's been almost a month now, and I still feel like I'm caught up in "low-carb flu."

A few observations:

My energy levels are still low, especially at work, and I still have carb cravings, especially late at night.

I have what feels like constant heartburn. Is this normal? Maybe from all the meat?

I had a mild cold/chest congestion when I started, and I still do. I was kind of hoping this would speed up my recovery.

This will sound weird, but I've also noticed that my sense of smell is heightened. I'm guessing this is the result of some hormonal changes going on.

Any comments? I have to say, I'm not convinced yet. I don't give up easily, so I'm going to stick this out for a while, but the heartburn/low energy levels are making it tempting to jump back into some carbs.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

low energy - have you tried tracking what you're eating? Maybe you're not eating enough, or not enough fat/protein or something... maybe try tracking your food for a week and see if it gives you any insight.

Low-carb flu doesn't tend to last more than 3 weeks in general, but a few people here have mentioned that theirs took 6 weeks or more to work out. Everyone's body is different.

Also look into vitamin deficiency of some sort for low energy - I know low B vitamins can cause sluggishness, for example. I'm not a vitamin expert by any means though, so you'll have to google around for other deficiencies that might result in your sluggish feeling.

Constant heartburn shouldn't be normal for anyone! And meat doesn't cause it... nor does fat. (Unless you just eat too much, period.) Have you cut out caffeine ? Caffeine can contribute to heartburn - so can acidic foods like tomatoes and citrus. Also, there are external physical factors like if your clothes are too tight or if you are lying down ... you can get heartburn that way. (Or if you have a fetus/uterus pushing on your stomach causing food to "back up")

Definitely look more into the cause of YOUR heartburn... this is NOT a normal thing and you shouldn't ignore it.

I also have more heightened sense of smell from being primal - especially for smelling processed-ness. haha. I can be near someone snacking on potato chips and actually smell the oil itself. It's gross. Today I ate some goldfish crackers out of desperation (was nauseated at work and wanted a quick fix - something to absorb the stuff in my tummy) and they tasted like rancid oil to me. so nasty. I think that's a normal thing that many of us have experienced.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Also if you have "hormonal things going on" maybe those have caused your sluggishness/illness/heartburn too... I won't pry but you might want to look into that.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Dagny is offline Member

I would also say to track what you're eating. Write it all down and check on what your nutrition numbers are, you might not be getting enough of something. Make sure to take a good multi-vitamin, Nature's Way Alive is a great one, gives you tons of energy. The heartburn isn't normal, I would get that checked out.

FairyRae2 Guest

Also, are you eating any new foods that were not part of your diet b/4? Food allergies/sensitivities can make you feel like crap. Egg is a common allergen out there, and many of us eat a lot more eggs on a more primal diet... (Although any food can cause a reaction.) Just a thought! Good luck!!!!

FairyRae2 Guest

Maybe check this out--there might be something helpful there? http://cavemanforum.com/index.php?topic=1609.0

ewrutledge is offline Junior Member

I'm not eating any new foods. I was relatively low-carb and ate a lot of eggs and meat before I went totally primal, so I was expecting an easier transition.

My normal meals are something like:

Big egg scramble in the morning with meat and veggies, salad w/ meat for lunch, meat and veggies of some sort for dinner. Nuts, jerky, occasional fruit thrown in for snacks. I try to hit about 3k calories a day, and I don't shy away from red meat either.

I talked to someone the other day who said he felt better instantly, but also someone who said it took him six weeks to feel normal again. If I were to, say, go absolutely crazy with carbs on superbowl sunday, would that hit the reset button?