Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The quest to do the ton (100+lbs of fat loss) and stalls page

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member

The quest to do the ton (100+lbs of fat loss) and stalls

Primal Fuel
    Hey all,
    It seems there is quite a few people here who already “did the ton” and I have a few questions/ me thinking and reflecting out loud.

Thus far I have gone from 340 to 282lbs since last Easter and I am shooting for 230ish so by my calculations that is about half way. I was wondering did everyone else hit a big stall about halfway to their goal, and if they did what did they do about it. It was effortless to this point. FYI most days I intermittent fast in the form of no breakfast.

I know first and foremost I need to re commit myself and cut back on the little slip here and there and get back from 70/30 to 80/20 or better. I know I need to rededicate myself to working out. Lastly I am also going to start dabbling with carb cycling and see how it goes. Also a little more play could not hurt.

As it is now I go to the gym and lift on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Now getting there and giving myself a through ass kicking has never been a problem (ex-power lifter). But since going full primal (less than 50g carbs per day to lose the weight) all my lifts have stalled, and I run out of steam quicker (not a surprise) and my Thursday workouts are much less energetic than Tuesday, I am guessing from depleted glycogen stores. So I was going to start with a low fat high protein/carb meal Tuesdays post workout and see how that works for my recovery by Thursday and how my energy levels are. I figure all weekend I am ok low carb because there is enough time for gluconeogenesis to do its thing to get me ready for Tuesday again.

And one last thing I know I need to do that I have not done enough of… sprinting or jogging or the like once a week.

Thoughts?

Ratio is offline Junior Member
    Have you looked at morning/noon IGF-1 via 7-keto DHEA?

Just a thought --

Quote Originally Posted by Ratio View Post
    Have you looked at morning/noon IGF-1 via 7-keto DHEA?

Just a thought --
    Come again?

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    You are probably eating too many calories if you aren't losing weight.

Ratio is offline Junior Member
    Oral supplementation with 7-Keto DHEA runs up IGF-1 levels in the body.

For some folks, this translates into increased metabolic efficiency; particularly with respect to fat stores.

Some in the BB community swear by it

Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    Well I am still loosing... but much slower... it has been a stall for a month... loose a few lbs... stall for a month. I was just hoping for faster progress lol but I dont think I am eatting to much since I am doing the who IFing thing... but it could be

The other thing is even when "stalled" I can still feel the belt getting looser and have had to tighten it. So I know body recomp is still going on.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    When did calories trump metabolic efficency?
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I've heard a lot about carbing up on workout days to help recovery, so that could make a big difference. Make sure to pick appropriate carb sources, such as sweet potatoes or white rice, if you're tolerant.

How often do you IF/for how long/what do you eat after the fast? Tuning up is all about reviewing EVERYTHING to see what you can improve, so let's not get too focused.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    When did calories trump metabolic efficency?
    And what is your cure for metabolic slow down? There are a few tactics that I have heard that work well for helping metabolic slow down while dieting. One of which is a carb refeed where you eat large amounts of carbs during a short window while keeping fat to a minimum. This helps increase leptin. Another way is to take a 2 week diet break where you eat at maintenance for two weeks, and make sure that during this 2 weeks you are eating a relatively high amount of carbs (probably 200 grams or more a day). Your weight loss should take off again after that. Those are two tactics that I have heard that work.

otzi Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Not sure how tall or old you are, but I have been at this for almost exactly 1 year. I'm 46/5'11 and started out around 225lbs. I'm now down to 170.
    Here is a list of my monthly losses:
    Dec 10 - 10lbs
    Jan 11 - 11
    Feb - 6
    Mar - 6
    Apr - 5
    May - 0
    Jun - 4
    Jul - 3
    Aug - 3
    Sep - 2
    Oct - 1
    Nov - 1
    Dec - 3

I'd still like to lose 5-10 more pounds, but realize it may take a long time. A few months ago, I tired of the hacks and worries over losing weight and just focused on eating healthy and exercising. It has made life a lot simpler. I IF most days by skipping breakfast and keep my calories around 2000-2500 per day, but I don't count calories or macros. If I were to guess, I'd say my carbs are around 50g per day. I can pretty much tell now that the only way I will regain the weight is if I start eating junk food again. I do tons of pullups, pushups, situps, and squats. I sprint once a week or less. I walk about 1 hour a day. I haven't been to a gym in 12 years.

Once those big losses stop and you get into fighting to lose 1 pound a month, it's pretty disheartening. But as long as you don't keep going up, you are doing it right.

You can spend a lot of time and money at the gym, on food supplements and with a personal trainer and lose lots of weight and get ripped, but is that really sustainable for you? It's not for me. I want to enjoy life, be healthy, fit, and active, and not be starving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast