Thread: Questions Regarding Weight Gain page

laurelderry is offline Junior Member

Questions Regarding Weight Gain

Primal Fuel
    ***I posted this on the My Fitness Pal Website that I use and instead of getting sound feedback and opinons, I was run over and trampled by all of those out there opposed to Primal Eating. Anyway- here's what I posted. On My Fitness Pal I have a food diary that they can view and see my macronutrients to offer input. I will attach a link to my diary, so let me know if you can't see it. Regardless, on average my carb consumption has been 75-100 and I found that I calories intake some days in below 1000 because I am so well sated throughout the day (which I think may be my problem). Laurelderry's Food Diary | MyFitnessPal.com

Please advise! Thanks! ****

Hi Everyone,

I have been doing the Primal Blueprint since Dec 1st. I have had a few slip ups here and there, but for the most part am adhering to it well. I noticed a great deal of initial weightloss (see below)

Weight 12/12/11 126.7 delete
    Weight 12/11/11 128.1 delete
    Weight 12/10/11 129.1 delete
    Weight 12/06/11 129.3 delete
    Weight 12/03/11 129.7 delete
    Weight 12/02/11 132 delete
    Weight 12/01/11 133 delete

However, since the 12th I am back up to 129.4. That's a 2.7 gain. Overall, I have still lost 3.6 lbs since the 1st- which is great, but I'm interested to figure out why I have gained nearly 3 lbs in the last three days. After doing some research on marksdailyapple.com, I think it may be the excessive dairy I am consuming. I think it's also a combination of the fact that I am very well sated the whole day, and my overall cal intake has dropped significantly, in addition to higher sodium level. However, I have been drinking a lot of water to counterbalance this *(ignore my diary, I don't log my water very accurately).

Any primal/paleo eaters please feel free to comment. The carbohydrate curve for weightloss is (and I am usually consuming 75-100 a day):

150-300 grams/day – Steady, Insidious Weight Gain

Continued higher insulin-stimulating effect prevents efficient fat burning and contributes to widespread chronic disease conditions. This range – irresponsibly recommended by the USDA and other diet authorities – can lead to the statistical US average gain of 1.5 pounds of fat per year for forty years.

100-150 grams/day – Primal Blueprint Maintenance Range

This range based on body weight and activity level. When combined with Primal exercises, allows for genetically optimal fat burning and muscle development. Range derived from Grok’s (ancestors’) example of enjoying abundant vegetables and fruits and avoiding grains and sugars.

50-100 grams/day – Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss

Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 – 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.

0-50 grams/day – Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning

Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.

Read more: How many carbs should I eat each day? | Mark's Daily Apple

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    First, you don't have much to lose, so it's going to be a slow process. Second, it's been two weeks. Wait three months then you'll have a good idea of where you're heading. I can see a 5lbs difference in a day depending on what I'm eating or how I'm exercising, and I'm not that big either.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    It's natural to drop water when you eliminate grains. Looking at your food diary, I'm seeing a lot of sugar and processed food. I'd try to stick more to meat, veg and a little fruit and avoid things like creamer, choco milk, and even the Larabars. Some people do ok with full-fat dairy but it seems most folks do best limiting it or dropping it completely. Personally, I'll have a little cream (whole cream) in my coffee and a bit of cheese here and there. I don't have glasses of milk or cups of yogurt. Dairy is pretty good a spiking insulin. There's a reason it's a good food for growing babies.

Eventually, as your body gets used to eating substantial meals with adequate fat, you'll likely find yourself snacking less. I've found eliminating snacking to be a good boost to my diet. Going at least 5 hours between meals allows your insulin to go down for awhile. It's up for about 3 hours after you eat. I was in the CW habit of 3 small meals and 1 or 2 snacks a day when I first started. It took awhile, but I eventually got used to eating larger meals. Before, I would've been very cranky if I had to skip a meal. Now it's no big deal.

Thank you for the input! I had hoped that I wasn't doing anything obscenely wrong that I needed to correct in regard to this way of eating. But youre very right. Prior to this if I noticed a jump- I would take into consideration my sodium etc. Now, since I've changed my way of eating, I thought I may be doing something aside from the sodium that could be causing the peaks and the troughs.

thanks again, its greatly appreciated.

McChunky is offline Member
    Take your scale and give it to someone you don't like.

There is zero reason to be obsessing over the scale in the first 14 days you've been doing this.

Take a month, see how your clothes fit then weigh yourself if you still feel like it.

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    It's natural to drop water when you eliminate grains. Looking at your food diary, I'm seeing a lot of sugar and processed food. I'd try to stick more to meat, veg and a little fruit and avoid things like creamer, choco milk, and even the Larabars. Some people do ok with full-fat dairy but it seems most folks do best limiting it or dropping it completely. Personally, I'll have a little cream (whole cream) in my coffee and a bit of cheese here and there. I don't have glasses of milk or cups of yogurt. Dairy is pretty good a spiking insulin. There's a reason it's a good food for growing babies.

Eventually, as your body gets used to eating substantial meals with adequate fat, you'll likely find yourself snacking less. I've found eliminating snacking to be a good boost to my diet. Going at least 5 hours between meals allows your insulin to go down for awhile. It's up for about 3 hours after you eat. I was in the CW habit of 3 small meals and 1 or 2 snacks a day when I first started. It took awhile, but I eventually got used to eating larger meals. Before, I would've been very cranky if I had to skip a meal. Now it's no big deal.
    Thank you- I really figured that the chocolate milk (Which has been my vice since ditching grains) and the creamer (which I know is a slew of crap- xantham gum and nastiness) is readily available at work and has also been a vice. I'm by no means eating 100% primal, as I'm still transitioning and waiting on my Primal cookbooks for X-mas I eat farm to table, and cook all of my food from scratch (bkfast lunch dinner- snacks sometimes are purchased, hence the larabars), but I will weed these things out immediately.

Thanks again!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Two weeks isn't enough time to notice much of anything. At this point, it's probably all water fluctuation.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Cassanina is offline Senior Member
    I agree, say goodbye (temporarily if that's more comfortable for you) to your scale.

Women's bodys fluctuate like crazy. 3 pounds could be that you ate a little more salt lately, or that you're ovulation, etc. You obviously didn't eat 10,500 calories extra in the last three days, so it's not weight gain.

If you want to weigh in, maybe once a week. Or once a month. If you follow the plan, you'll notice a difference in how you feel (which is the MOST important) and how your clothes fit.

Keep at it!
    “It's a lifestyle--train like there's no finish line".

Army Officer by day.
    Practicing Crossfitter, Yogi, Chef and Hiker by night.

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've dropped 2 pounds sleeping at night! Don't pitch the scale, just don't use it every day!!!