Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Care Packages? page

HandBot is offline Junior Member

Primal Care Packages?

Shop Now
    I've recently deployed to Afghanistan for the next six months and am trying to maintain a somewhat primal lifestyle, which is surprisingly tricky to do even on a base in one of the more 'primal' countries, if you will. Exercising is easy, as expected. I'm going by Beyond Brawn principles and seeing early good results (not unexpected in any early workout regimen I guess).

My problem is the food here. I only have one dining hall at which to eat and it frequently serves one option of a decidedly non-primal meal. For the first two weeks I just opted for salad with vinegar & oil as well as some lunch meat or sardines when this was the case. However, over the past three days I've been stuck on this salad and breadless-sandwich meal because the meal options were basically either pasta or bean/lentil soup. Add to this that I already heave lunchmeat and coffee at breakfast every morning because they do not serve eggs or breakfast meat, just sweetened canned fruit over sweetened yogurt or cereal. Lunchmeat is quickly losing its appeal. The result today at lunch was me choosing between eating the slice of pizza or learning to loathe salad. I opted for the former. After three days of salad and lunchmeat - I won't lie - it was GLORIOUS. However, I don't plan on making this the norm.

So, my question to you fellow Grokkers (primals? primordials?) is what should I have sent to me for meal options when I run into these long dry spells of grain/legume laden meals? I have a remarkalby supportive family and group of friends who are begging to send me care packages, but are waiting for recommendations. I already have some generic protein powder and a heifer-sized cache of jerky. The requirements for the food is:

1. Generally non-perishable, or can at least survive 2 weeks of transit getting to me.
    2. Does not require refrigeration

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    Coconut milk. Coconut oil. Coconut manna. Canned sardines/salmon/herring/tuna. Some of the non-perishable items I buy.

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member
    Somebody send this man some Pemmican. That's what you need!

And thank-you for your service, HandBot.

otzi Guest
    Cans of coconut milk and 100% Baker's Chocolate. Mix them together for primal choc pudding-an awesome breakfast or post workout snack. Cans of sardines, smoked oysters, canned salmon. Ask for the packed in olive oil type. Macadamia nuts. Giant jars of Whey Protein or egg white protein powder.

Also, if they are still passing out Gatorade over there like they were in 2004, don't drink it. Drink water.

What kind of DFAC doesn't serve eggs and bacon for breakfast--must not be a Halliburton DFAC! You got hosed, try to get moved to Kandahar or Kabul. If you have a pile of MREs, there's good meat in them you can eat. Stay away from that sweetened, canned fruit. I guarantee it's full of HFCS.
    hurry home

oxide is online now Senior Member
    Definitely chocolate (in winter -- I heard it melts in the summer).
    Lots of canned seafood: sardines, shrimp, salmon.
    Pork rinds?
    Almonds and Walnuts.
    Dried fruit and berries (go easy)
    I second the whey protein.
    Powdered eggs.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Jerky!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Thanks for the recs everybody!
    I never even heard of coconut manna and now I'm quite intrigued. And I'm rolling my eyes that I didn't think about oil-packed seafood.

And Pemmican! Any preferred sellers/brands?

charli is offline Member
    The problem with some of these foods is customs. I've never been to Afghanistan, but won't they prohibit items such as nuts as they aren't processed?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HandBot View Post
    And Pemmican! Any preferred sellers/brands?
    US Wellness Meats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast