Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vibram FiveFingers: KSO or Sprints? page

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member

So, I've finally found room in my limited budget to splurge on a pair of Vibrams. I'm having trouble deciding which style to purchase, though. As the title suggests, it's a toss-up between the KSOs and the Sprints. The primary use of these shoes will be indoor lifting/sprinting/training during the not-so-temperate Minnesota winters as well as outdoor hiking and general wear during the other seasons.

What I'm looking for are some opinions from fellow Groks/Grokettes who have experience with both and can make some recommendations.

Some specific questions:

Do the KSOs tend to get really warm/uncomfortable in hot weather, or at least more-so than the sprints?

How much protection do the KSOs provide as far as preventing sand/dirt/pebbles from getting into the shoe? Would I have a problem with those things if I went with the sprints and did some off-trail exploring?

Thanks in advance!

mstrudle is offline Member

I can't speak for the Sprints, but I ran a season of cross-country in KSOs and they work beautifully despite the pain of running on fire roads. If you're used to running or hiking in shoes the KSOs will be cooler overall. I never got any dirt or pebbles in the shoes.

GotPrimal Guest

The KSOs will keep everything out except sand and water.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I'm getting VFFs in about a month too. So undecided which ones to get. It's so hard to choose just one color and style!

Godzilla is offline Senior Member

Why not wait until the 2010 running models are introduced this spring?

http://www.baselayer.co.uk/FiveFingers-Men-s-cat-82

http://birthdayshoes.com/index.php/more-on-the-vibram-five-fingers-bikila-2010-catalog-photos

http://birthdayshoes.com/index.php/barefoot-ted-tells-all-on-the-new-vibram-five-finger-treks

http://birthdayshoes.com/index.php/p...ction-versions

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Those are cool, and maybe I'll get them eventually, but I think I want my first pair to be as multi-purpose as possible. I'm leaning towards KSO's. Now to decide between grey/pink or grey/yellow.

Bikilas are absolutely going on the wish list.

Godzilla is offline Senior Member

I appreciate the irony of it all; that Vibram named the running shoe after Abebe Bikila, who trained for and won the 1960 Olympic Marathon while barefoot.

bruce.b is offline Member

My son has worn out both KSOs and Sprints. He started wearing them when they first came out. He's on his third or forth pair of Five Fingers and he wears them until they literally fall apart. He prefers Sprints over KSOs. He said they are more comfortable, easier to slip on and that dirt gets into both equally easily when hiking but it's easier to get it back out of Sprints.

I have KSOs and like them fine, just not in winter. I'll buy Sprints next time. I'd just go with what you prefer the looks of.

bruce b.

CTU Guest

I have the KSO's and for the last year have done crossfit in them three to four times a week. I plan on running an 8k in them in March. I'm actually surprised they haven't pulled apart yet. I wash them about every other week too. They aren't hot on my feet and they aren't good at keeping warm.

Godzilla: thanks for posting up the links. Can't wait for the ones with laces. My wife and kids won't be as embarrassed to be around me in public with those on....I hope.

guido Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I like KSOs and Treks. I wear the Treks every day with the wool injinji sox. In the winter I add NEOS overshoes over them when going outside to keep my feet warm and dry. I wear the KSOs for workouts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast