Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Distance Between Desire and Action page

srch1 is offline Member

The Distance Between Desire and Action

Shop Now
    Need some help here. I've been lingering around Paleo/Primal world for a while now. Read all the books, blogs, etc.. I've got quite a library on nutrition and fitness now. The only thing is...I can't get off my butt to actually do anything! I've made half-a-dozen stop and starts and just can't seem to get rolling. I'm about 30 lbs overweight. Energy sucks. Feels like anytime I try to do some exercise I hurt something. Sprints hurt my ankles. Squats, knees. Push-ups, wrists. I get discouraged, think nothings' ever going to change and open a bag of chips! Pissed at myself really.

Have any of you been here? How do you get through to the other side? How do you muster the energy? I should point out that I live a crazy stressful life with insane commute out the door at sunbreak and home at dark. Feel like I'm reading the success stories from a far-off land.

Appreciate any concrete suggestions!

Search

Suse is offline Senior Member
    i totally get you when you talk about the distance between desire and action. It is hard to get motivated... to start. sometimes things just kick in though and you're away laughing. I only wanted to lose about 13lbs and that was hard enough.

Is there anyway at all you can reduce your commute? Can you have a day where you work from home one day or something?

Is food an issue or is it just the lack of exercise that is bothering you. Get the food right, and maybe the energy to exercise will follow???

Sorry I dont really have any concrete suggestions for you, but yeah, I know what you mean.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Fix your way of eating first. Don't even think about exercise if you don't want to. You will lose your weight by eating primal foods. Exercise isn't going to impact weightloss *that* much.

When you feel up to it, start walking, lifting heavy things, and sprinting occasionally.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    The first step to fitness is the biggest but once that first step is made no matter how small gets you closer to your goal.
    Set yourself a target of walking 15 min every other day. Focus on enjoying the walk not the "exercise".
    Increase your distance a little bit the next week and after your walk choose one exercise to do. Target one day with your pushing muscles, next day your pulling muscles, the next day Squat and again focus on the movement - slow and steady and just enjoy them.
    Enjoy it for what it is. It will help your stress and will start the process of getting yourself moving.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

srch1 is offline Member
    Appreciate the feedback. I've been thinking about walking during lunch - tie on and everything, just to get some movement. May be a good place to start for 15 minutes. Unfortunately my job doesn't have a work from home component to it.

My stop-starts have been with both diet and exercise. Wasn't sure whether to post this is the nutrition or fitness category.

The ironic thing is I sit there listening to people at work or community talking about fitness and nutrition and I feel like I know soooo much more than there CW junk, but I'm hardly a poster-boy for any kind of healthy living.

What sucks is that when you have goals and you're not moving towards them, you start losing confidence in your own ability to ever really, really change. Feeds a depressive loop. I don't want to sound like a complainer though and I'm getting some mounting psych to start again - that's why i wanted to get some advice to avoid my own history of self-sabotage.

thanks!

Alainneire is offline Senior Member
    Staying connected to this forum may help keep you on track too... Also, once you start eating "clean" (primal) more than likely your energy levels will increase dramatically, and it won't be as difficult to start moving....

Welcome and best of luck!

Primalcavecouple is offline Junior Member
    This sounds trite but you you just need to do it. Plain and simple and DO NOT permit excuses. I work 8+hrs a day, I am on call 24-7, I commute 130miles back and forth to work, my kids play competitive hockey and the closest rink is 1hr away and it is in the opposite direction of work. If you want something bad enough you will find it within you. The best solution is to rip off the band-aid and throw yourself headfirst into it. After a week you will start to feel better the results should provide motivation for awhile. Don't kill yourself excercising but you need to put forward some effort. Yes you will be sore, yes muscles will ache, yes you will feel like shit but these small steps will lead to sucess.

One day at a time and never allow yourself to weasel out with an excuse.

srch1 is offline Member
    Appreciate the kick Primalcavecouple. I take it from your name that your spouse is on board as well. Did you guys get into this as a couple? Sounds like we've got some similar schedules, could you share with me a bit of your workout routine schedule and diet? Do you eat on your commute? I've been playing around with some smoothies in the car and think that could be a winner for me. Thx

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by srch1 View Post
    What sucks is that when you have goals and you're not moving towards them, you start losing confidence in your own ability to ever really, really change. Feeds a depressive loop. I don't want to sound like a complainer though and I'm getting some mounting psych to start again - that's why i wanted to get some advice to avoid my own history of self-sabotage.

thanks!
    Along with goals a plan of action is needed. Without action, goals are simply wishes.

So my suggestion is- take the rest of the year to do the following:
    1. Determine why you want to change and what your focus will be..I don't think weight loss is a sustainable reason or focus.
    2. Figure out what you can commit to--give up wheat, sugar, all grains, eat three meals, no snacking, walking minutes/week, etc.??
    3. Figure out what you know you will not do--forgo all beer, run, give up pizza etc.???
    4. Document what you've learned from steps 1-3.
    5. Run the plan through your mind, committing to it mentally and giving yourself a real start date. Repeat often.
    6. Figure out how you will measure progress/success and when you will measure-
    7. Arrange your world to accommodate the plan--stock up on your committed foods, put exercise time into your schedule,etc.
    8. When you've wrapped your head around the plan, implement it on your start date.

I did this at the end of 2008. My start date was January 1, 2009. By January 1, 2010 I had less arthritis pain, off several meds, could walk/ jog several miles 5x/week on a knee with bone on bone arthritis. Health markers went from troublesome to very good. And while health and avoiding diabetes was my focus I lost almost 50lbs.

There have been bumps in the road. However, my plan of action, focus and commitment is still here today. I'm healthy and still down 50+lbs.

srch1 is offline Member
    I hear ya! 50 lbs is awesome and very inspiring. My goals definitely include weight loss, but I really want to be a good example for my kids. Good suggestions, I'll read through them a couple of times to take it in.

Hey folks, if you think of it and don't hear from me for a while ...post or send a message if it's not too much trouble. I'll try to update on new efforts, but in case I disappear, it'll be good to have some accountability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast