Thread: Bruising on extremities - should I be concerned page

Snauzoo is offline Senior Member

Question Bruising on extremities - should I be concerned

Prior to going paleo/primal, I was taking a baby aspirin, daily, at bedtime for no other reason than every cardiologist and thoracic surgeon I worked with in the cath lab and in the units was doing the same. I got bruises all the time from bumping into things occasionally, or from vigorous greetings from my mini Schnauzer. I never had any problems with clotting, say from a sewing pinprick or kitchen knife nick. Nor did I have any bleeding of my gums, even with fairly aggressive flossing.

I stopped the ASA shortly after doing Robb Wolf's 30 transformation diet, and started taking half his recommended fish oil. According to his chart, I should take just under 15g. I was taking 3 TID.

I went to the Leptin Rx supplement protocol about a month ago, and cut back to a total of 4g, 2 BID. Still getting bruises. I am taking K2, (-7) 120 mcg. It is a natto form.

I am well aware of the issues with fish oil, so that is why I cut way back. I just wonder if I need to up the K.

Seeing my cardiologist tomorrow (mild congenital conduction defect with susceptibility to have short runs of PVCs). I have the opportunity to ask for labs, so what would anyone recommend I ask for? I already will get liver panel since one of my meds can be a problem. I also am asking for glycosolated Hg, to see how my sugars have been. I do not do well with fasting for labs and having to drive. Thought a sugar history would be interesting and I have good insurance.

Thanks,

Snauzoo

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    CBC to check platelets. Maybe PT/ INR and PTT. It's prolly the fish oil.
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

McChunky is offline Member
    I don't have any specific advice for your labs but I will say I got a ridiculous amount of bruising when I was taking fish oil. It went away once I stopped taking fish oil. Chris Kresser's stuff made me discontinue using the stuff.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I agree - probably the fish oil. Fish oil can have very strong effects on clotting time.

As an aside - I don't think K2 is the vitamin that is necessary for clotting. That is vitamin K1. Fish oils anti-coagulant effects are not thought to be related to Vitamin K levels so I don't think you can abrogate the clotting effects of fish oil with any vitamin K1 or k2.

That was my sense as well. I will add an INR to my labs. Thanks for the replies.
    Last edited by Snauzoo; 02-19-2012 at 03:02 PM.

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    Don't forget platelets. I work in hematology and by far the most common clotting abnormality we see is low platelets.
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkMistress View Post
    Don't forget platelets. I work in hematology and by far the most common clotting abnormality we see is low platelets.
    A partial thread hijack if I may, I've always bruised easily but they go away just as fast. In the last few years I'm getting a lot of broken blood vessels, mostly on my palms and inside the fingers. I'll bang my hand or grip something too hard while gardening and feel that burning, itchy sensation and sure enough, a dark spot right under the skin. They seem to go away really fast but are annoying and make me wonder what's up with my vessel walls.

I've got that kind of icky, almost translucent white skin with the veins very blue and prominent. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkMistress View Post
    I saw my cardiologist and we went over all the labs, plus I got a chance to ask for more. He asked if the bruising now was worse than on the 80 mg ASA, which it is not. He felt Robb Wolf' s recommendation was too high, told me to stay at 4g. So I have a VAP LIpid panel, a CBC with diff, a hsCRP and a reverse T3. I need to be fasted for the lipid panel so will go tomorrow.