Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supplements for children page

kpincoffs is offline Junior Member

Supplements for children

Shop Now
    I am going to start taking the primal flora, vital omegas and vitamin D. What do you give your children? Mine are 4 and 5 and cannot swallow pills yet so these wouldn't work. Do they need the same things as adults? I'm thinking at least a vitamin D supplement in the winter. Know of any good brands? What else is essential?

dado Guest
    what is essential is that you take them away from the tv you're plopping them in front of 5 hours a day, and then you can work on supplements after that, after you've saved their brains.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    I give my nephew the following:

Baby D drops (1 drop per day, 400 IU)
    Carlson Labs, Baby Ddrops, 400 IU, 11 ml - iHerb.com

Carlson Labs, For Kids, The Very Finest Fish Oil, Orange, 6.7 fl oz (200 ml) - iHerb.com

If you want to combine both in one supplement, this looks like a good choice:

Nordic Naturals, Baby's DHA with Vitamin D3, 2 fl oz (60 ml) - iHerb.com

Can't agree stongly enough! But they have been TV free their whole lives. So I think we're ready to look at next steps.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kpincoffs View Post
    Can't agree stongly enough! But they have been TV free their whole lives. So I think we're ready to look at next steps.
    what are the chances.

were you and your spouse on the same page with no-tv?

shmee is offline Senior Member
    We do a round of Sisu brand omega 3 "U.F.O."s every couple of months for the kids.
    As well, they get liquid magnesium every night before bed.
    Because we live in winter conditions for nearly 6 months of the year, they get CanPrev brand Vit d3 w/ organic coconut oil throughout the winter.
    And, plenty of sunshine. They sit in school all day, so before homework they are sent outside for an hour, then homework, then supper, family walk, bath and then bed. TV is reserved for the "its not nice to be outside -40C or pouring rain with lightning bolts type of days".
    Start Weight: 265.8
    Current Weight: 234.4
    Leptin Reset started Jan 1, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    what are the chances.

were you and your spouse on the same page with no-tv?
    Based on the number of empty swingsets in the neighborhood, I'd say the chances were slim.

I guess we were on the same page. We got rid of the cable as part of our budget cuts so I could stay home with the kids and we just never hooked it back up. We didn't get started with the videos early and by the time we thought about how nice it would be to set them down in front of the TV for a moment of peace we had read alot of books that cautioned against it. People think it must be alot of work to entertain them without a TV, But I personally think it is easier. They never ask to watch it. They don't argue about what to watch. We don't have to worry about content. They never ask for a toy or cereal they saw on a commercial. Best of all, they learned early on to entertain themselves and now they play for hours with very little intervention from me. I don't think there is anything wrong with a little bit of TV, but I don't see any reason to rock the boat now.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kpincoffs View Post
    Based on the number of empty swingsets in the neighborhood, I'd say the chances were slim.

I guess we were on the same page. We got rid of the cable as part of our budget cuts so I could stay home with the kids and we just never hooked it back up. We didn't get started with the videos early and by the time we thought about how nice it would be to set them down in front of the TV for a moment of peace we had read alot of books that cautioned against it. People think it must be alot of work to entertain them without a TV, But I personally think it is easier. They never ask to watch it. They don't argue about what to watch. We don't have to worry about content. They never ask for a toy or cereal they saw on a commercial. Best of all, they learned early on to entertain themselves and now they play for hours with very little intervention from me. I don't think there is anything wrong with a little bit of TV, but I don't see any reason to rock the boat now.
    ah you don't know how much this will benefit them in the long run. they will be better people because of this. it's the best thing a parent can do.

me and woman, we do not have children yet, and will not for another 2 years or so, but it is a big point i am pushing for. i want to throw the damn television out, but at this point it is a battle that is happening.

if the in-laws, when they are babysitting, put my kids in front of a television, i will break both their faces.

sunnysara is offline Senior Member
    Carlson's Vitamin D Drops are great. Highly recommended!

We also give him Nordic Naturals fish oils (they are these small capsules with strawberry flavor added) every day for a couple weeks, then take a break. He loves these things, though. I cannot imagine chewing a fish oild capsule... sounds horrible... but he asks for them. ;-)

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    I'm wondering the same thing although my son is older (12) and very athletic (hockey and football)
    currently takes a multivitamin and is fine with swallowing small pills.
    I'm slowly bringing him over to primal (DH too) by taking out pasta and bread and putting in good veggie starches.
    Question is, should I add in D3 for him now that we are in the frigid grip of winter... and how much?
    I take 5000U pill each day - can he take that as well, or should he start at 1000U/day?

pbj
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast