Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Supplements for children page

  1. #1
    kpincoffs's Avatar
    kpincoffs is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    7

    Supplements for children

    Shop Now
    I am going to start taking the primal flora, vital omegas and vitamin D. What do you give your children? Mine are 4 and 5 and cannot swallow pills yet so these wouldn't work. Do they need the same things as adults? I'm thinking at least a vitamin D supplement in the winter. Know of any good brands? What else is essential?

  2. #2
    dado's Avatar
    dado Guest
    what is essential is that you take them away from the tv you're plopping them in front of 5 hours a day, and then you can work on supplements after that, after you've saved their brains.

  3. #3
    healthseekerKate's Avatar
    healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    440
    I give my nephew the following:

    Baby D drops (1 drop per day, 400 IU)
    Carlson Labs, Baby Ddrops, 400 IU, 11 ml - iHerb.com

    Carlson Labs, For Kids, The Very Finest Fish Oil, Orange, 6.7 fl oz (200 ml) - iHerb.com

    If you want to combine both in one supplement, this looks like a good choice:

    Nordic Naturals, Baby's DHA with Vitamin D3, 2 fl oz (60 ml) - iHerb.com

  4. #4
    kpincoffs's Avatar
    kpincoffs is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    7
    Can't agree stongly enough! But they have been TV free their whole lives. So I think we're ready to look at next steps.

  5. #5
    dado's Avatar
    dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kpincoffs View Post
    Can't agree stongly enough! But they have been TV free their whole lives. So I think we're ready to look at next steps.
    what are the chances.

    were you and your spouse on the same page with no-tv?

  6. #6
    shmee's Avatar
    shmee is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    here
    Posts
    152
    We do a round of Sisu brand omega 3 "U.F.O."s every couple of months for the kids.
    As well, they get liquid magnesium every night before bed.
    Because we live in winter conditions for nearly 6 months of the year, they get CanPrev brand Vit d3 w/ organic coconut oil throughout the winter.
    And, plenty of sunshine. They sit in school all day, so before homework they are sent outside for an hour, then homework, then supper, family walk, bath and then bed. TV is reserved for the "its not nice to be outside -40C or pouring rain with lightning bolts type of days".
    Start Weight: 265.8
    Current Weight: 234.4
    Leptin Reset started Jan 1, 2014

  7. #7
    kpincoffs's Avatar
    kpincoffs is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    what are the chances.

    were you and your spouse on the same page with no-tv?
    Based on the number of empty swingsets in the neighborhood, I'd say the chances were slim.

    I guess we were on the same page. We got rid of the cable as part of our budget cuts so I could stay home with the kids and we just never hooked it back up. We didn't get started with the videos early and by the time we thought about how nice it would be to set them down in front of the TV for a moment of peace we had read alot of books that cautioned against it. People think it must be alot of work to entertain them without a TV, But I personally think it is easier. They never ask to watch it. They don't argue about what to watch. We don't have to worry about content. They never ask for a toy or cereal they saw on a commercial. Best of all, they learned early on to entertain themselves and now they play for hours with very little intervention from me. I don't think there is anything wrong with a little bit of TV, but I don't see any reason to rock the boat now.

  8. #8
    dado's Avatar
    dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kpincoffs View Post
    Based on the number of empty swingsets in the neighborhood, I'd say the chances were slim.

    I guess we were on the same page. We got rid of the cable as part of our budget cuts so I could stay home with the kids and we just never hooked it back up. We didn't get started with the videos early and by the time we thought about how nice it would be to set them down in front of the TV for a moment of peace we had read alot of books that cautioned against it. People think it must be alot of work to entertain them without a TV, But I personally think it is easier. They never ask to watch it. They don't argue about what to watch. We don't have to worry about content. They never ask for a toy or cereal they saw on a commercial. Best of all, they learned early on to entertain themselves and now they play for hours with very little intervention from me. I don't think there is anything wrong with a little bit of TV, but I don't see any reason to rock the boat now.
    ah you don't know how much this will benefit them in the long run. they will be better people because of this. it's the best thing a parent can do.

    me and woman, we do not have children yet, and will not for another 2 years or so, but it is a big point i am pushing for. i want to throw the damn television out, but at this point it is a battle that is happening.

    if the in-laws, when they are babysitting, put my kids in front of a television, i will break both their faces.

  9. #9
    sunnysara's Avatar
    sunnysara is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    103
    Carlson's Vitamin D Drops are great. Highly recommended!

    We also give him Nordic Naturals fish oils (they are these small capsules with strawberry flavor added) every day for a couple weeks, then take a break. He loves these things, though. I cannot imagine chewing a fish oild capsule... sounds horrible... but he asks for them. ;-)

  10. #10
    pbj's Avatar
    pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    172
    I'm wondering the same thing although my son is older (12) and very athletic (hockey and football)
    currently takes a multivitamin and is fine with swallowing small pills.
    I'm slowly bringing him over to primal (DH too) by taking out pasta and bread and putting in good veggie starches.
    Question is, should I add in D3 for him now that we are in the frigid grip of winter... and how much?
    I take 5000U pill each day - can he take that as well, or should he start at 1000U/day?

    pbj
    my info:

    If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

    My journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •