Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bone broth geletin page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Bone broth geletin

Primal Fuel
    I made chicken bone broth last night and I noticed, this morning, after it had been in the refrigerator all night, the gelatin wasn't as firm as it normally becomes. When I poured it out it did "glop" and mound somewhat. Since I drink this for health, I want to know if I can expect the same vitamin and mineral etc. benefits as when I get a firmer gelatin. If not, I'll freeze it in some quart bags and use it for cooking and make a new pot. I'm try to get back to walking after breaking my thigh bone. Healing took longer than expected and I need to build strength besides. I feel like my energy has increased a great deal since I started about 2 months ago plus I simply feel better. (also noticed I misspelled gelatin in the title, don't know how to fix it)
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 12-15-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    What makes chicken stock gel? I usually make it from roasted chicken carcasses and it has never, ever gelled up. Should I be adding raw parts? Something else?

Farfalla is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    What makes chicken stock gel? I usually make it from roasted chicken carcasses and it has never, ever gelled up. Should I be adding raw parts? Something else?
    Don't you put too much water for too little chicken? And how long do you let your broth simmer?

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Since I started drinking bone broth I've made it from roasted chicken carcasses. It has always gelled beautifully. Did you add about 2 Tbls of Apple Cider Vinegar to the water? I don't know if that helps it gel but it's supposed to help draw all the good stuff out of the bones. I usually chop up an onion, add a couple of garlic cloves, chopped up a little and a stalk or two of celery. The vegetables are just for flavor and you don't have to add them at all. Considering how expensive the roasted chickens are, about $8, I am seriously going to learn how to roast a chicken correctly so it's moist and tender. I love the convenience of getting a hot one from the store but it is pricey.

For whatever it is worth, I almost always use raw bones and meat, and my broth is always delicious and beautifully gelatinous. I don't think vinegar helps it gel - I started adding it a couple of weeks ago because I read about it here, but there's no change in this respect.

Off to set up another broth - this time with 1/4 of a hen (if you use just chicken, you don't know what you are missing out on) and one turkey upper leg bone. And root vegetables, as usual.

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Farfalla View Post
    Don't you put too much water for too little chicken? And how long do you let your broth simmer?
    I usually put just enough water to cover the chicken (and the pot is just big enough for the chicken) so I don't think it's an issue of too much water. I simmer for 2-3 hours. Should I simmer more? I also hadn't heard of the vinegar tip.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I usually put just enough water to cover the chicken (and the pot is just big enough for the chicken) so I don't think it's an issue of too much water. I simmer for 2-3 hours. Should I simmer more? I also hadn't heard of the vinegar tip.
    I never cover the chicken all the way with water. I cook it in about 1.5 cups of water until the chicken in all cooked through. I pull off the meat and then put the bones and skin back in the pot with 1-2 cups more water and then cook for 4-12 hours. Sometimes I add some onions and veggies too.

BrassyDel is offline Member
    I let one batch go in the crockpot overnight and it didn't gel much. The second batch I did at least 24 hours and it gelled up great in the fridge! The ACV is to help leach minerals and vitamins out of the bones.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i simmer mine for 10 hours minimum with apple cider vinegar. i finally got it right! but yeah, i let the last batch evaporate pretty low and poured it into a mason jar, when it cooled it wound up being all gelatin
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Yes, I would try doubling the time. Or, if you have a crockpot, try 10-12 hours on low. And I would definitely add some raw meaty parts (can be from another animal) like necks, stomachs, hearts, but not liver - it's kind of gross when it is overcooked.

To sum up: bones, meat, one carrot, one celery stick, a slice from the celeriac root, one parsley root, one average-sized unpeeled (but clean) onion, one unpeeled garlic clove, the dark green leafy top of a leek, a couple of parsley stems, water, salt, a splash of apple cider vinegar, at least five hours.

I've just strained the broth I made overnight. Although it's still hot, it is visibly thick and kind of gelatinous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast