Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bone broth geletin page 2

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    I usually put just enough water to cover the chicken (and the pot is just big enough for the chicken) so I don't think it's an issue of too much water. I simmer for 2-3 hours. Should I simmer more? I also hadn't heard of the vinegar tip.
    Have you tried using a pressure cooker? Or about 18 hours in a slow cooker. If the chicken is too young I don't think they make such good rich stock. If you can get a pigs trotter, that is a great addition to chicken stock. Or a bunch of chicken feet. Anything that is super rich in gelatin will do it. The cartilage, sinew etc renders down into gelatin.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    Have you tried using a pressure cooker? Or about 18 hours in a slow cooker. If the chicken is too young I don't think they make such good rich stock. If you can get a pigs trotter, that is a great addition to chicken stock. Or a bunch of chicken feet. Anything that is super rich in gelatin will do it. The cartilage, sinew etc renders down into gelatin.
    I do use a pressure cooker. Once it's up to full steam I cook it for an hour and an half. Normally I get a good looking broth, gelled. Is that enough time?

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    I do use a pressure cooker. Once it's up to full steam I cook it for an hour and an half. Normally I get a good looking broth, gelled. Is that enough time?
    That sounds heaps of time to me. I usually use the slow cooker, but when I do use the Pressure Cooker, I give it about 45 minutes and it seems to work just fine!

charli is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    That sounds heaps of time to me. I usually use the slow cooker, but when I do use the Pressure Cooker, I give it about 45 minutes and it seems to work just fine!
    How would you do it in a slowcooker? I live on campus and my broth always gets ruined because people take it out/turn it off/change the temperature. A slowcooker would probably prevent this.

Farfalla is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by charli View Post
    How would you do it in a slowcooker? I live on campus and my broth always gets ruined because people take it out/turn it off/change the temperature. A slowcooker would probably prevent this.
    You put everything (see post 10 for my definition of everything) in the slowcooker and cook it on low for 12 hours or so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12