Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: statins don't help unless people have already had a heart attack...myth page

jimhensen is offline Senior Member

statins don't help unless people have already had a heart attack...myth

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have read people say this on this forum constantly. Where is the research that supports this? Everything I look up says the opposite. I would imagine that there is one study that seems to suggest this that all of you are clinging onto (most of you probably haven't seen the study you are just regurgitating what others on the board have said without looking into it yourself) while a bunch of other studies suggest otherwise.

Here is one such review that suggests the exact opposite:

The benefits of statins in people without established cardiovascular disease but with cardiovascular risk factors: meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials

I am sure there are a lot more that suggest the same thing...and I haven't seen anything that suggests this isn't true. lol, anti statin fever on these boards. Cholesterol doesn't mean everything, but it shouldn't be completely ignored either.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Statins for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease | BMJ

An excerpt:

The review, slightly more restrictive in its inclusion criteria than other recent analyses which typically considered twice as many people, looked at 14 trials of about 34 000 people with no evidence of cardiovascular disease. The review found that in people taking statins, all cause mortality—on average 1% per year of observation—was reduced by 17%, fatal and non-fatal coronary heart disease by 28%, fatal and non-fatal stroke by 22%, and the rate of revascularisation by 34% over a period of three to four years. Comparable numbers have been reported in other recent meta-analyses,4 5 6 7 so it is safe to assume that the beneficial effects of statins are substantial for coronary heart disease and coronary revascularisation, more modest for stroke, and probably between 10% and 15% for overall …

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member
    Jim:

I was concerned because mine was so low - 95 is scary low and has other possible physical repercussions.

otzi Guest
    Jim Hensen - The atkins forum needs a high carb advocate--go there!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    That's an interesting study, actually--but my objection to statins isn't necessarily that they aren't effective, but that their side effects are unacceptably severe in many cases and you can better results by diet/lifestyle changes that have positive side effects instead of negative ones. When your choices are

A) Decrease your risk of CVD and early death while experiencing muscle wasting, nerve pain, digestive problems, rashes, liver damage, and/or possible neurological effects, but don't have to give up doughnuts.

OR

B) Decrease your risk of CVD and early death while increasing your strength and endurance, losing body fat, reducing or eliminating chronic pains and digestive issues, looking younger and more attractive, and making every part of your body look, feel and perform better, but you have to give up doughnuts, except that you can still have them occasionally and be fine.

I choose B. But hey, different strokes.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Chasintrail is offline Senior Member

Troglodyte is offline Member
    I am a cardiac nurse; I worked as a scrub nurse for one of the most prestigious hospitals in the nation if not the world. I did my stint as a scrub for one of the founders of interventional cardiovascular lab.

Know one thing, statins only mask; they do not get to the root of the problem, i.e. inflammation, not to mention the secondary effects brought on by statin use, i.e. rhabdomyolysis! Reducing cholesterol does not reduce inflammation. Proper diet and exercise are the key.

Statins are given based upon the false theory that cholesterol causes heart disease-that has been proven to be false.

Patients w/ diabetes are at the highest end of the spectrum for secondary cardiac disease; sugars out of control cause cause rapid inflammation- the body's response is to elevate cholesterol (think of the cholesterol as firemen).

I will add, statins have been around since the late 70's; if they were such a miracle drug, why is it that cardiac disease has risen with a vengeance every year, even though these drugs are being prescribed? I'll tell you why. Simply, they don't work.

Most every study is doctored by the financial support of big pharma and their lying constituents.

Statins - The Dark Side - YouTube

Cholesterol and Heart Disease - YouTube

The Cholesterol Myth and the True Cause of Heart Disease - YouTube

* Cholesterol myth exposed! They made it up to sell more drugs! - YouTube

How Bad Science and Big Business Created the Obesity Epidemic - YouTube

http://chriskresser.com/i-have-high-...nd-i-dont-care

Dr Rosedale Exposing the Cholesterol Myth: Cholesterol is not the major culprit in heart disease - YouTube
    Τρωγλοδῦται

Satch12879 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    I am a cardiac nurse; I worked as a scrub nurse for one of the most prestigious hospitals in the nation if not the world. I did my stint as a scrub for one of the founders of interventional cardiovascular lab.

Know one thing, statins only mask; they do not get to the root of the problem, i.e. inflammation, not to mention the secondary effects brought on by statin use, i.e. rhabdomyolysis! Reducing cholesterol does not reduce inflammation. Proper diet and exercise are the key.

Statins are given based upon the false theory that cholesterol causes heart disease-that has been proven to be false.

Patients w/ diabetes are at the highest end of the spectrum for secondary cardiac disease; sugars out of control cause cause rapid inflammation- the body's response is to elevate cholesterol (think of the cholesterol as firemen).

I will add, statins have been around since the late '70s; if they were such a miracle drug, why is it that cardiac disease has risen with a vengeance every year, even though these drugs are being prescribed? I'll tell you why. Simply, they don't work.

Most every study is doctored by the financial support of big pharma and their lying constituents.

Statins - The Dark Side - YouTube

Cholesterol and Heart Disease - YouTube

The Cholesterol Myth and the True Cause of Heart Disease - YouTube

* Cholesterol myth exposed! They made it up to sell more drugs! - YouTube

How Bad Science and Big Business Created the Obesity Epidemic - YouTube

http://chriskresser.com/i-have-high-...nd-i-dont-care

Dr Rosedale Exposing the Cholesterol Myth: Cholesterol is not the major culprit in heart disease - YouTube
    Thank you. Couldn't have said it better.

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member
    Lol - after reading these articles, I'm thinking that the Global Warming guys are rank amateurs when compared to the medical community!!!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast