Thread: Hey Everyone page

Buzz71 is offline Senior Member

Hey Everyone

The obligatory intro post

I'm Buzz (my universal online name ever since my son insisted I use it when he was four and a massive Buzz Lightyear fan), male, 40 years old and I live in Canberra, Australia. I'm recently separated (last July) from my wife of 14 years. This is relevant because I guess my general health began to take a general downhill cycle around 2005. I'd stopped playing all forms of sport - which I used to love, I was working more and more - to the point I burnt out completely in 2009, resulting in four months off work. I've suffered from depression, to the point where I require medication, and am still on them - although I hope to change that soon. My bad years culminated with my separation in mid 2011.

Since that time I've tried hard to take stock of my life. I realised I had drifted away from almost all my friends - I knew almost nobody. So I joined twitter -well actually I had joined some time ago but I decided to become active. I deliberately went out of my way to follow local tweeps and found a whole new circle of amazing friends, both locally and across Australia and even increasingly around the world. I think but for twitter and the people I met I would have sunk into a very black place indeed. I owe some special people there an enormous debt of friendship.

One of these people - who I am sure is probably on the forum, but I don't know her username! - in the context of talking about me trying to improve my health and fitness mentioned this thing called living Primal. This struck a chord with me and I asked for more info - and she pointed me to Mark's Daily Apple.

At this time - I'm guessing this was probably Sept-Oct this year, I was the heaviest I have ever been. I was "only" 86kg, but almost none of it was muscle and an increasing amount of it was in the gut area. While I wasn't quite on the "SAD", I was drinking quite a bit, and eating mostly pasta, rice, breads, and biscuits. My cholesterol reading was on the borderline of the danger range.

So I resolved to do something about it. I started exercising, primarily cardio. But then I started to read more and more on Mark's Daily Apple, and what I read rang true to me. I liked the logic inherent in the approach, it made sense to me. I'm a strong believer in science and logic. I resolved to give this thing a go. So I pretty much gave up the bad stuff cold turkey - I haven't touched bread, rice, grains, biscuits, anything with refined sugar, for about six weeks now. Instead I'm eating a lot of eggs, meats, leafy greens, tuna, plenty of almonds and macadamias, and I'm having my own version of a primal smoothie for breakfast every day, with whey protein included. I'm working with a Personal Trainer, doing strength based work and one intense cardio session a week - the "sprint" part if you like. In between I'm doing tons more walking around, emphasising the slow constant movement, and getting up out of the office chair.

The results? I've dropped down to 75kg, the gut has shrunk considerably - not gone yet - and I'm starting to get some definition back in my upper body. I feel like I've taken the first steps on a great journey - the right journey. I'm still learning and I don't think I'm applying it all correctly yet - I think I've cut the bad stuff out completely but need to work more on eating the right stuff. I am still having a hard time mentially eating the fat that for years has been the enemy!

I've also started my own blog - in my signature below - with the theme Carpe Diem, seize the day, both to motivate me and others. I'm hoping to discuss my primal journey there, as well as here.

So today I join the community - it's good to be here, I hope I get to "meet" a lot of you and learn something every day. As I said before, this feels right to me and I'm looking forward to my new way of life.

Thanks for reading!
    Buzz71
    Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
    Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
    Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
    My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

Miami86 is offline Junior Member
    hey, Buzz! ) Welcome here!) I am a newbie here too and this is my first post, sooo... here we go Actually this is the first time i use forum, a have facebook, twitter, i have a blog, so now i wanna try forums! Let's get it started

wesrman is offline Member
    Welcome
    Character is both developed and revealed by tests, and all of life is a test.
    -Rick Warren

Ourlove is offline Junior Member
    Welcome Buzz..........I'm new as well. Good luck with your journey.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    To Infinity and beyond...Rock Out with your Grok Out!

Buzz71 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Heya everyone, thanks for the welcomes Really enjoying the great reads in the forum so far.
    Buzz71
    Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
    Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
    Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
    My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!