Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Miracle of Vitamin D: Sound Science, or Hype? page

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

New York Time's take on Vit D: http://2.ly/jq4

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Tarlach is offline Member

Nice article.

I also like this post:

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/2009/12/vitamin-d-and-uv-fluctuations-2.html
    [quote]

Dr Vieth has a model of tissue 1,25(OH)2D synthesis and degradation in which the level of active substance is pretty well independent of blood vitamin D level, provided the level is either rising or stable.
    </blockquote>

Basically, testing your blood for vitamin D is a complete waste of effort as it gives no indication of how much available vitamin D is in your tissue.

..and there&#39;s more to it than sun exposure.
    [quote]

From all of this I would deduce that, under marginal levels of UVB in Glasgow, the primary determinant of gross clinical expression of deficiency of vitamin D is vegetarianism. There is a protective effect of meat consumption.</blockquote>
    [quote]

It seems like humans can get away with vegetarianism in the tropics. Move north and you need to eat meat.
    </blockquote>
    The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

grandma is offline Member

"protective effect of meat"

Is that simply that meat has contains fat-soluble vit D, the kind that is easily used by humans. Clearly these are modern observations, so it would seem logical that animals would get a lot more sun exposure than a modern human. Therefore animal tissue would have more vit D.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Caveman Sam Guest

Makes sense. If we can&#39;t get the vitamin D directly just kill an animal who&#39;s got some and eat him. I like it.

JulieD Guest

kongluirong is offline Junior Member

There is a simple way to get your vit D levels up, just get enough sunshine whenever possible. Mark has said that your body will store the D during the summer months when you&#39;re getting more so that during the winter months you can use what is stored in your fat when you burn that (vit D is fat soluble). So for me, I just go out and bask in the sun for 15-20 minutes whenever the sun is out.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

kong, that might be true... but MOST people (Americans anyway) never get around to burning their body fat... so that stored D would be inaccessible, right?

Good news for us primals though.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

kongluirong is offline Junior Member

Tis true, tis true. More health benefits for us. Eventually the world will catch up with us.

Maybe.

fbw
    fbw is offline Junior Member

we can&#39;t all live where enough sun can be gotten during the summer months for use in winter months. so i will continue happily supplementing *and* eating meat.

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

PrimalCon New York

Wow. I hope that wasn&#39;t a typical quality column for Tara Parker-Pope. She&#39;s woefully uninformed about vitamin D. I like Richard&#39;s response on Free the Animal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast