Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hebrew National Hot Dogs? page

zbg935 is offline Junior Member

Question Hebrew National Hot Dogs?

Primal Fuel
    Nevermind
    Last edited by zbg935; 12-15-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't call hot dogs "Meat". It's a heavily processed food - but I wouldn't count it as a safe protein source. A rare snack would be the best label - without completely banning it(that's where hot dogs are in my diet).

Chochobo is offline Senior Member
    buy applegate. gluten/casein/nitrate free. grass-fed hot dogs. i eat these when i want a hot dog.
    "Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we often might win, by fearing to attempt." -- William Shakespeare

my weight loss story...
    started @400+pounds
    CW: 191lbs 15%BF
    PB: 158lbs 10%BF 33in waist
    UD2(6 weeks): 168lbs 9%BF 31in waist
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread39123.html

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    I thought HN was not glatt kosher - I know they've had certification issues in the past - has that changed?

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Canola Oil Bad!

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by zbg935 View Post
    Hi

I keep kosher, so finding ways to incorporate meat can be hard. I enjoy the hebrew national 97% fat free hot dogs. If you have three broiled, it's only 120 calories with 18 grams of protein!!!! I usually eat it rubbed in a locally made garlic paste (canola oil and garlic) and stabbed in a leaf of romaine. What are your thoughts?
    As a general rule of thumb, you are looking for foods that provide the most caloric (esp saturated fat and protein) bang for your buck. 120 calories sounds like a snack, like Lily Marie said. If you are going to eat a pack of them fine. But then, how much bad stuff do you accumulate? That's the whole reason I first started eating natural foods a good year before I went primal. I was eating so much food that I figured I'd be really screwing myself to get into junk food. If I had to eat 10 times the Doritos that someone else eats, for example, I would be accumulating 10 times the amount of 'bad stuff' in it.

otzi Guest
    I used to eat a lot of hot dogs until I started reading labels. Hebrew Nationals might be kosher, but they have a long list of ingredients that aren't very appealing to me. They are a a crappy snack and an even worse meal.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    And canola oil? What are you doing?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Fake, processed, rubberized meat coated with toxic, rancid canola oil? I'd rather eat a bowl of pasta.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I keep kosher, so finding ways to incorporate meat can be hard. I enjoy the hebrew national 97% fat free hot dogs. If you have three broiled, it's only 120 calories with 18 grams of protein!!!! I usually eat it rubbed in a locally made garlic paste (canola oil and garlic) and stabbed in a leaf of romaine. What are your thoughts?
    Your Kosher hot dogs are not kosher. God did not make hotdogs all nasty. If your snack is intended as a representation of your effort at primal eating, here's a little of what's wrong:

Hotdogs are processed and contain toxins which can easily include ammonia, nitrite, and other non-food products. Applegate is probably one of the cleanest hotdogs around, so if you're dead-set on eating animal ground into a stick-shape, go for that.

You brag about how unfulfilling your snack is. You should not be snacking, and your average meal should be (assuming you eat twice a day) about 1000 to 1500 calories. The goal is to NOURISH your body, not DEPRIVE it. 18 grams of protein is barely enough for half of one of your arm's muscles (just to maintain, not to build) for the day. Calories are good, and proper fats are good. You should seek out high-fat products, of healthy fat. Which brings us to the oils!

Canola is not a natural product. It is a recent invention of greedy agriculture. It was created in the last century, it is highly inflammatory and rich in oxidized omega-6 fatty acids (the kind that harden arteries). At least get some olive oil, melted beef tallow or coconut oil up in there. Since you're low-carbing it, your body needs a source of calories, and saturated fat is the best. Go for grass-fed tallow, coconut oil and fatty foods like avocado (monounsaturated that it), fish (polyunsaturated, that is) and butter (if you can eat dairy).

The leaf is awesome if it's clean.

Whew. There's more to say, but I'll leave it for the next posters. I've got to go buy my grass-fed beef liver. Best of luck!
    Last edited by Knifegill; 12-15-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast